Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

"Whether we go with different shapes with these guys in or we stick with the shape we've been playing throughout preseason and last season ...."

May I offer up you change it up just to see?

Don’t know why but that interview has annoyed me. Basically sounds like we have all said, we have a Plan A and not really thought about a Plan B yet…

I’m maybe thinking too much about it but that is irritating me. 

There can be a lot of nuance behind what you think the way forward for the football club is in terms of the Well Society, the executive board, outside investment is and I very much welcome and respect differences of opinion on that, even if they don't align with mine.

The bottom line with it all for me, is that regardless of your stance on the way forward, the deal was absolutely awful. Even if I was dead set on us needing outside investment (as most will know, that's far from the case), I would rationally look at this and identify it as a dud deal. At a high level (£300k a year, 8% stake, WS still having to raise money for less of a say) it was an absolutely terrible deal. When his more detailed plan got published, I just couldn't do the maths of investment and spend, before you mention he obtained his erroneus figures from a guy on twitter who had already corrected himself on them. How anyone would trust him after that is beyond me. 

Good work from the WS board, as well the likes @fatcalf and @Vietnam91helped show the deal for what it was. 80 / 20 is obviously very favourable in any vote, but I'd have dreaded to see the results had these guys not done their homework (more homework than EB it would seem).

I think those howling to the moon on Facebook have delusions of grandeur (as well as other delusions) and probably somehow think this investment will have us challenging for Europe and cups. Probably what the Well Society has done has allowed us to find our natural, sustainable place in the food chain. Lower middle table, comfortable from relegation does me. If I wanted a guarantee of better, I'd support another team.

46 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Good work from the WS board, as well the likes @fatcalf and @Vietnam91

I think those howling to the moon on Facebook have delusions of grandeur (as well as other delusions) and probably somehow think this investment will have us challenging for Europe and cups. Probably what the Well Society has done has allowed us to find our natural, sustainable place in the food chain. Lower middle table, comfortable from relegation does me. If I wanted a guarantee of better, I'd support another team.

Not long ago #TB4 became #TB3. In my lifetime, we have serially over performed . Let's not forget that we halted Sevco's immediate return to tier one.

In my FK5 postcode days, if we'd a Sunday 18:05 match, I'd watch Falkirk. Saw Chris Waddle, Kasper Schmeichal and (I think) a wonder goal from Kevin McAllister against Huntly. Look what happened to them.....

As someone somewhat analytical, I think the last few months, in the long run, will be beneficial for both the club and society.

Edited by Dan Electro
Schmeichal for Sloth.....numpty.....

I see the notice for the WS AGM is out - should be interesting. I hope the subject of the WS reps on the exec board is on the agenda under any other business.  

What’s Kevin Van Veen up to these days? Is he still worth a punt/loan deal or has his short spell at Kilmarnock made him think of retiring? He looked overweight and not particularly match fit when he played against us last season.. However, if he has been training hard and lost a few pounds perhaps he has another year left in him at the top level. 

36 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

What’s Kevin Van Veen up to these days? Is he still worth a punt/loan deal or has his short spell at Kilmarnock made him think of retiring? He looked overweight and not particularly match fit when he played against us last season.. However, if he has been training hard and lost a few pounds perhaps he has another year left in him at the top level. 

Still at Groningen. I made a very carefully considered prediction on January which turned out to be bollocks by miles (thanks to the backer at Killie) but I think the reasoning behind it applies again. Namely...

Groningen will be easy to deal with. Yes, they can play off suitors against each other and they'll wait till the last minute but they're literally throwing good money after bad on a minimum 10k a week contract which will have increased with promotion. Getting back even 2k a week is a saving rather than the rest being a loss - that's already gone.

KVV must decide what he values most. He's entitled to every penny in his contract simply by jogging round a pitch in holland by himself five days a week. How much - if anything - is he willing to sacrifice to play again, be back in Scotland with his partner/kid etc?

We, and everyone else, must decide how much you're willing to pay for an egomaniac, one season wonder who barely kicked a ball last year and was - visibly - unprofessional. The answer will be no a lot but football managers are both arrogant and often desperate. Someone will pony up and rightly or wrongly, I could well imagine it being us.

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Kevin Van Veen and Motherwell was the perfect match, that ran the perfect course, for both parties. Let's just enjoy the memories and leave it at that.

I kind of agree.

We've had some good returns, we've had some average returns, we've had some we should never have taken back.

He'll never have another season like that again, but I still think he'd more than do us a turn alongside basically any of our current forwards.

We got a great season out of KVV and a decent wedge. Its possible SK might be able to rejuvinate him, but it would be a gamble.

If we can identify another player with potential that we can polish up and sell on, I think we would be better advised to do that.

Must be a fair amount of new members for the well society to process, just had my email 3 days after joining to say it will be a few weeks before we get our packs out due to a backlog.  

They reported 35 the other day, but they do only have one person that works on this, which may cause the backlog. I think that realistically they need to employ at least one more person.

8 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Just saw the call for new board members. I'm going to lock myself out of my email so that I resist the temptation. Anyone on here thinking of running?

A Colin on The Well Society board, how the turn tables...

48 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

They reported 35 the other day, but they do only have one person that works on this, which may cause the backlog. I think that realistically they need to employ at least one more person.

The 35 was in the 48 hours after the official announcement that Barmack had pulled his offer.

I don't think they've given any indication of what sort of an increase they've seen since their erm..."political campaign" started.

Incidentally there seems to be some sort of fuckery going on...

Screenshot2024-07-19at17_59_22.thumb.png.43d2fd4fdff216cae86635f735073d38.png

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I kind of agree.

We've had some good returns, we've had some average returns, we've had some we should never have taken back.

He'll never have another season like that again, but I still think he'd more than do us a turn alongside basically any of our current forwards.

I think if he came back he would score 8-10  goals over the season . I suppose it depends how much Groningen are after  but personally I’d be fine with £2k per week and that sort of goal return.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Incidentally there seems to be some sort of fuckery going on...

Screenshot2024-07-19at17_59_22.thumb.png.43d2fd4fdff216cae86635f735073d38.png

Who let Jim McMahon get a hold if TWS's twitter password?

Edited by camer0n_mcd