Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

20 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Feel like we competed ok in the game, in which was a decent watch I thought. 

Ultimately you could’ve had a few more, especially in the spell before we scored. Not sure who it was that headed the initial ball in, but he claimed for a foul when he was doing a diving header instead of getting on with the game. 

Lennon Miller is clearly a cut above, would hope he’d stay with you for another year to get more games. 

Agree with Kettlewell about defenders going for balls they clearly couldn’t win, we got quite a few fouls or into space because of it. 

Just glad we didn’t get a doing, think Motherwell will push top 6 this year as have strengthened well but obviously now need to replace Bair, at least you have some cash to do it. 

Made a pleasant change playing a team that didn't put 10 men behind the ball and at least tried to make a game of it.

1 hour ago, maccanee said:

He is, the move to striker is a new idea that has taken every Clyde fan by surprise! More than capable defender as well but was prone to the odd mistake, particularly in the first half of last season.

Cheers. Maybe not the most polished of players but he certainly caused us a few issues by putting himself about. 

The biggest difference for me was the speed of transitions when both teams had the ball. Took us a while to work it to the final third whereas you guys were able to move at speed and that caught us out. For being three divisions below I thought we contributed to a decent game of football. Think we should be ok against teams at our level, the result was definitely the right one but if it had gone 2-2 it could have been an interesting end to the game.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hmmmm...he's still talking about wanting to add 'one or two' in the top end of the pitch.

Just seems so very un-Ketts to hear him talk about going fairly heavy numbers wise at the top end. He obvs mentions 'striker' specifically and sounds fairly optimistic that a deal is close to done there. Him considering  a 'different dimension' in that area both surprises and intrigues me. It would seem to suggest that we might actually run with having the fabled Plan B this season. I could get invested in that kinda thinking.

Quite annoying how any team that can string 3 one touch passes together can slice us wide open. 

Thought the tweaked formation worked better than the one midweek , some of our attacking play was quite pleasing but just lacked that wee touch of sharpness and understanding in and around the box that should hopefully come. 

Miller is an absolute joy to watch, genuinely feel like he's growing in stature every week and of we can keep him this year then it'll definitely be our last chance to enjoy him.  The pen on Tuesday was excellent but todays was even better . 

That's now both keepers this week pulling off saves that I would have zero confidence in Kelly getting.  

Enjoyed that today. Lennon Miller looks a smashing player. I thought Robinson looked poor, though. Some decent hold up play to bring others in to the game but If he gets beyond single figures for goals this season I’ll buy a full Motherwell kit for next season! Moses Ebiye looked good in flashes and quite pacy. I’d imagine he will only improve as he settles into Scottish football.

It’s frustrating that we managed to draw level only to concede the penalty moments later. I was at the other end of the stadium so would like to see a replay as it didn’t look clear cut from where I was sitting. If Scullion didn’t fluff that tap in late on we maybe could’ve snuck a bonus point in a penalty shootout. The third goal is just great technique and a brilliant finish. Can’t complain with the result overall, Motherwell the better side.

The way you broke up the park when possession was regained and some slick passing shows the difference in standard between SPL and L1/L2. When we won it back we built on it far slower and regularly went back the way or sideways at best.

Always had a soft spot for the Well due to being just down the road from me and a few friends over the years being season ticket holders. Hope you guys have a good season.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Wasn’t sure it was a penalty but executed well.

i think our moody Serb should be the second striker alongside Moses or Robinson.  I think Robinson is the better player but he will never score.

(He might not be moody But this is the role I have given him.)

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

i think our moody Serb should be the second striker alongside Moses or Robinson.  I think Robinson is the better player but he will never score.

Given the number we haven't even seen yet, "enigmatic" remains up for grabs.

Edited by Doctor Manhattan

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Moses is alarmingly close to the 'only scores goals' type of forward...for that to work you need the other 10 guys to pick up the slack and then score a lot of goals indeed. I'm still giving him time, he's at least getting into the positions, but I'd like to see the possibly moody and/or enigmatic Serb given a run with Robinson against Thistle.

I’ve not had the chance to read through the folk who were there today but if I’m honest i have a few worries.

That wasn’t a 3-1 game that was at least a 6-4 game. Some of the passes in the final third from us was absolutely dreadful as was some of the finishing. 
The less said about the defence the better.
Gordon could have maybe seen red for his yellow if the play had been closer to our box but it wasn’t so that’s speculation on my part but they were all pretty poor.

A plus point for me was when Moses slashed yet another shot over the bar the bench instantly shouted for Stuparevic tae get stripped.

We need to start taking action when it’s clear things aren’t working. Robinson looks like a very decent support striker but he doesn’t look like a goalscorer. 

Didn’t realise Ian McCall was the Clyde manager until today. Glad we beat them, have never forgave him for getting Jackie McQuillan sent off in A Shot at Glory

It’s easy to say as I’ve missed the 3 LC games so far as I’m away - but surely the teams we’ve put out so far will bear very little resemblance to what we’ll see by mid to late August? With injuries clearing up and another 2 or 3 signings, it will be completely different. After years of it, I’m not convinced that these LC games tell you anything useful. 

45 minutes ago, ropy said:

I already have him pegged as the new KVV , going to be infuriating as f*ck then give us the moments of magic that makes the season memorable .

23 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

I’ve not had the chance to read through the folk who were there today but if I’m honest i have a few worries.

That wasn’t a 3-1 game that was at least a 6-4 game. Some of the passes in the final third from us was absolutely dreadful as was some of the finishing. 
The less said about the defence the better.
Gordon could have maybe seen red for his yellow if the play had been closer to our box but it wasn’t so that’s speculation on my part but they were all pretty poor.

A plus point for me was when Moses slashed yet another shot over the bar the bench instantly shouted for Stuparevic tae get stripped.

We need to start taking action when it’s clear things aren’t working. Robinson looks like a very decent support striker but he doesn’t look like a goalscorer. 

Robinson rounding the keeper to then hit the shot out towards the throw in line was comical. 

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I already have him pegged as the new KVV , going to be infuriating as f*ck then give us the moments of magic that makes the season memorable .

IMG_3435.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Robinson rounding the keeper to then hit the shot out towards the throw in line was comical. 

That game should be used by striker coaches for how not to do things. Clyde had a decent chance in the first half while our defence looked like they had drank the half empty 20/20 and tonic bottles up the lane