Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

49 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

I’ve not had the chance to read through the folk who were there today but if I’m honest i have a few worries.

That wasn’t a 3-1 game that was at least a 6-4 game. Some of the passes in the final third from us was absolutely dreadful as was some of the finishing. 
The less said about the defence the better.
Gordon could have maybe seen red for his yellow if the play had been closer to our box but it wasn’t so that’s speculation on my part but they were all pretty poor.

A plus point for me was when Moses slashed yet another shot over the bar the bench instantly shouted for Stuparevic tae get stripped.

We need to start taking action when it’s clear things aren’t working. Robinson looks like a very decent support striker but he doesn’t look like a goalscorer. 

Respectfully disagree. Yes Clyde could have scored 3 or4 goals. But by the same metric we should have scored a dozen goals or more.

Moses scores goals within the box. Outside of that he is a bit of a bombscare. The goal we conceded was almost entirely down to him. It was comical. 

I am consoling myself by accepting that in every game so far we have played with half a team. Injuries may have played a part.

I thought Clyde were decent.better than the two teams we have played so far. 

35 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Robinson rounding the keeper to then hit the shot out towards the throw in line was comical. 

Today he was quite wide, against Linlithgow he rounded the keeper, got to the corner of the six yard box and rolled the ball into the side netting.  He will never score, good player though.

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Wilson wasn't as effective in the second half when he lost a link-up player inside him with Halliday more to the right than Paton had been.

Agreed, the difference in style between Halliday and Paton was interesting to see. Halliday didn't run forward as much but got the ball to feet, turned and played through balls more than Paton did (certainly quicker, at least; you can often see the cogs in Paton's brain turn working out what to do next). I'm not sure which I prefer, as both did create a good few chances between them.

I do think it shows that we can't play them both together as 10s, as they're so different and neither really compliments the other.

From what I seen from Motherwell yesterday I think that you may need another CB but unsure who you would drop out. Another striker with experience would be a smart move. I think if you dominate possession you will do well this season but off the ball I think the team is quite weak.

12 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

From what I seen from Motherwell yesterday I think that you may need another CB but unsure who you would drop out. Another striker with experience would be a smart move. I think if you dominate possession you will do well this season but off the ball I think the team is quite weak.

:lol:

Tell me you don't know much about the Motherwell squad without telling me etc.

The last thing we need is *another* CB.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

You need a good one. 

I reckon two of our regular starting CBs were on the bench yesterday. Balmer and McGinn absolutely feel like starters over Blaney and Casey, particularly after yesterday in Blaney's case and both Tuesday and yesterday in Casey's.

Edited by StAndrew7

4 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I reckon two of our regular starting CBs were on the bench yesterday. Balmer and McGinn absolutely feel like starters over Blaney and Casey, particularly after yesterday in Blaney's case and both Tuesday and yesterday in Casey's.

You have got the players to play a back 4. It would mean an extra man in midfield which you have decent options. Kettlewell does seem to like the back 5. 

Just now, peebles_Dee said:

You have got the players to play a back 4. It would mean an extra man in midfield which you have decent options. Kettlewell does seem to like the back 5. 

He's most definitely wedded to the 5.

We don't have the wide forwards/midfielders to play a back 4, unless we went with a narrow diamond midfield which gives me the absolute fear.

14 minutes ago, peebles_Dee said:

Given we often play 3-6-1, it wouldn't necessarily mean an extra man in midfield...

There's been issues of concern in our three game so far but also reasons for hope. We've not had a minute out of our two first pick wing-backs and Nicholson, who are crucial to the shape, and as noted you'd hope McGinn helps settle the defence.

If you're particularly optimistic, you can see a path to a strong season already, if you're particularly negative you'll envisage bother. I imagine the vast majority of our fans are still in the who knows stage.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Given we often play 3-6-1, it wouldn't necessarily mean an extra man in midfield...

There's been issues of concern in our three game so far but also reasons for hope. We've not had a minute out of our two first pick wing-backs and Nicholson, who are crucial to the shape, and as noted you'd hope McGinn helps settle the defence.

If you're particularly optimistic, you can see a path to a strong season already, if you're particularly negative you'll envisage bother. I imagine the vast majority of our fans are still in the who knows stage.

Aye, I'm definitely in the "this still feels like pre-season" camp although I'm starting to see a few players who I'd prefer not to see quite so much of, if that makes sense. No-one has been outright dreadful but as an example, Casey has made enough slack passes and had enough brain farts to make me realise that he isn't a starting centre back now.

Will be interesting to see who Ketts starts at the weekend; I can't see SODs dropping out just yet for Kaleta and Wilson did pretty well yesterday until Paton was injured, as we started to attack more down the right with Halliday playing at 10. 

It feels like we're close to clicking a bit up top now, too. Definitely created more chances yesterday and had Moses not decided to fill his left boot with concrete, he could easily have had a hat trick.

Robinson just needs a goal, I think. He's doing everything else relatively well but just needs to hold his runs rather than constantly flying towards the goal when someone gets to the byline for a cut-back. I think it was Miller (or SODs?) who got there late in the second half and played a ball to the penalty spot and both Wells and Robinson were standing inside the six yard box waiting for a cross that was never going to go there. That feels like the kind of thing Bair was doing early doors last season and we sorted out, so there's definitely hope there.

Edited by StAndrew7

56 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

While Blaney scored the goal he also got kippered like a schoolboy for their equaliser on Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

While Blaney scored the goal he also got kippered like a schoolboy for their equaliser on Tuesday.

Aye, totally fair. He got ragdolled yesterday by Dunachie the whole match as well. Can see he was identified as the guy to get at by them.

With Kettlewell still talking about adding 'one or two' in the final third I suppose you'd imagine it means Ferrie and Wells are likely to be loaned out.

Similarly if he's talking about adding on top of Robinson, Stuparević, Ebyie and Nicholson then you can only assume that the 352 or the 3412 is what we're shooting for because having 6 forwards and going with 1 up top would be nuts - although depending on who it is we're actually looking to bring in it wouldn't rule out the 3421 as it's not a massive stretch to imagine the likes of Stuparević and Nicholson playing as the two #10s.

By my count we have 6 options for centre back (with O'Donnell having spoken about playing there in a couple of bits of press he's done through the summer) and of the 7 midfielders we have *all* of them are central.

I've not marked the injuries but it looks like this is roughly where we stand at the moment if/when everyone is fit.

lineup.png.ff2cf2ee0734b0183526cfff30ac4852.png