Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

I'm into it, decided he'll be class for us. 

I know some folk will be worried about A League signings after Danzaki, but worth remembering all the stats and reports said he was absolutely pish before we signed him. 

Stamatelpoulos actually looks like a great fit for us based on the data folk are sharing

Report from @gregthewellfan

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Good interview from a couple of months ago.

Seems like he has his first baby due in few weeks and he is moving half way round the world. Good luck to him with that. Could be a rough period for getting settled in.

Unbelievably smart move from him.

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Do you like radars?

I know kettlewell said the figures being quoted in the press where nowhere near it but surely we got more than was being quoted??? €1.90 seems a bit cheap 😂

kettlewell must be going with 2 up front now??

I'm glad we're speculating with a transfer fee after bringing in money for Bair.  Just like any other signing, there's no guarantees, but if we're looking for players with undevalued stats, waiting until they're free agents leaves us competing on wages, which is going to be hard for us.

We obviously tried the same with the likes of Sol, Danzaki, and Efford, so maybe this is the one that works.

If we can continue to improve players, we can position ourselves as a good destination for players looking to get to the bigger European leagues, and it would be nice to do that without selling our club.

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Good interview from a couple of months ago.

Seems like he has his first baby due in few weeks and he is moving half way round the world. Good luck to him with that. Could be a rough period for getting settled in.

I really hope we've got a nice wee place in Bothwell or something lined up for them. If that poor lassie has to push her pram through Brandon Parade a few times a week, the lad will be back in the A-League before the Christmas trees are put away.

6 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

We've traditionally done well with signings from that league .....

Will forever baffle me how people still claim stats have "no place" in scouting when you get things that coming from word of mouth without double checking any figures.

danzak.thumb.png.352a99c145cc9028f4f8d4f7cf691d44.png

A literal red flag on the field with that one.

Your new guy looks good, but previous seasons suggest he maybe struggles to add much beyond hard work if/when hes not scoring.

stama.thumb.png.a30f05caca260c082bd4542ce007d50e.png

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

If that poor lassie has to push her pram through Brandon Parade a few times a week, the lad will be back in the A-League before the Christmas trees are put away.

You don't think a stoat round Iceland and Poundland followed by a Greggs sausage roll and a shot of the slots in the Admiral would appeal to her? Cultural enrichment right there.

Not seen anything from the club but on Transfernarkt, the Australian boy (not even attempting to spell it) are showing it as a done deal with a fee of £308k

We are massive. 

Screenshot_20240721-210957.thumb.png.c5f3c83f5873593b973f6923b19821ab.png

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm not sure I like us spending quarter of a million quid on a player.

As I said to you, I tend to agree. Hibs splashing out a high six figure fee for Vente last season for 5 league goals is testament to the risks of a transfer fee. 

On the other hand, it will throw the cat amongst the pigeons for the Facebook moon howlers though, so swings and roundabouts.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

We spent that amount on Bobby Dailly and it worked out well for us.

Yeah, I get that it does feel strange and a bit unnerving to be spending that sort of transfer fee, as it really isn't something we do.

But, spending almost the same amount on a player that the executive board were willing to give control of the club away for, after the ridiculous circus around it, is objectively very good patter. 

That and we have a bit of spare cash at the moment, thanks to Theo. Nice to see a wee bit of money earned going back into the squad. If we'd been splashing that having not just made the best part of £2m I'd be really concerned. 

Edited by MurrayWell

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not seen anything from the club but on Transfernarkt, the Australian boy (not even attempting to spell it) are showing it as a done deal with a fee of £308k

We are massive. 

Screenshot_20240721-210957.thumb.png.c5f3c83f5873593b973f6923b19821ab.png

Million Dollar Man Laugh GIF

31 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Me neither... I'm not convinced it guarantees quality, he'll fit the system, new country etc.

Presumably it'll be announced when as soon as he does the admin of getting over here and it also rules out any further speculation about KVV, so for that alone it's probably worth it actually.

If he's pictured at Glasgow Airport over the next week, wearing specs and a Motherwell scarf, we're bang in trouble, lads.