Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

43 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm not sure I like us spending quarter of a million quid on a player.

Aye, I'm slightly nervous about it as well, I'm still scarred from the last 'big' signing we had from the A-league. Saying that I do trust Kettlewell's recruitment a lot more than I do Hammell's. Having four strikers at the club (5 if you include Ferrie but he'll probably be loaned out) certainly suggests that Ketts plans on going back to a 2 up top which is a bonus. 

16 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Aye, I'm slightly nervous about it as well, I'm still scarred from the last 'big' signing we had from the A-league. Saying that I do trust Kettlewell's recruitment a lot more than I do Hammell's. Having four strikers at the club (5 if you include Ferrie but he'll probably be loaned out) certainly suggests that Ketts plans on going back to a 2 up top which is a bonus. 

I would like to think it does but realistically when you go back to last year we had 4 strikers at points and he still only played one. Even then when he played two he put Jack Vale so deep he was a midfielder. 

I would love us to go back to 2 up beside each other and an attacking player on the 10. However pre season hasn’t really been showing that. Time will tell I guess but imo what I have seen of Robinson, Moses and Filip all three of them seem like they need partner beside them. 

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I would like to think it does but realistically when you go back to last year we had 4 strikers at points and he still only played one. Even then when he played two he put Jack Vale so deep he was a midfielder. 

I would love us to go back to 2 up beside each other and an attacking player on the 10. However pre season hasn’t really been showing that. Time will tell I guess but imo what I have seen of Robinson, Moses and Filip all three of them seem like they need partner beside them. 

At times aye but Kettlewell was really forced into the one up top with Shaw being shite, Wilkinson getting injured and Mika getting injured, then recalled. I don't really remember him ever having 4 strikers available and ready to play in the period he was going with the 1 up top.

5 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

At times aye but Kettlewell was really forced into the one up top with Shaw being shite, Wilkinson getting injured and Mika getting injured, then recalled. I don't really remember him ever having 4 strikers available and ready to play in the period he was going with the 1 up top.

Plenty of games last year he’s started one up, then had to change it at half time or 60 mins. I remember one game we actually started with 1 and finished with 4.

Hopefully this year we go with two up top, beside each other and building a partnership. Would give us good options from the bench. 

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm not sure I like us spending quarter of a million quid on a player.

Again...I'm with you ma Telford street pal...this strikes me as a wee bit strange from us 

Unusual amount of money to spend from a league that we've struggled with recently 

Premier League clubs in England can spend £50m+ on a player that does not work out. 

Assuming we get £1.6m + £200k add ons then £260k is approx 15% of big Theo transfer fee. Hardly putting the club at risk. The guy is young and from his video clips knows how to score headed goals at least. Yes I accept the defending is possibly a lower level than SPFL. 

But I did say that when we signed long ball throw in expert Kofi Balmer, that we needed to get a striker that can attack the ball aerially. Looks like we have found our man assuming it is announced and completed officially.

You would assume he would be 1st choice striker if he is any good. Stupa second choice and a fight between Moses and Robinson for 3rd / 4th. Not bad back up considering we had Oli Shaw last year and a crocked Obika. 

Sure it feels like a big swing because there’s an actual number being reported but we spent £542k on signing players in Alexander’s season in charge so I’m not sure that this is particularly unusual.

I keep seeing Tweets on Motherwell Twitter somehow amazed that we’re “pAyIng A fEe fOr a pLaYeR!!!!”. c***s genuinely seem unaware we’ve consistently been paying “undisclosed” fees for players.

There was talk of a “six figure” fee being involved when Balmer was being linked with St Mirren.

We were supposed to have been in for Callum Hendry who was still under contract at Salford at the time did folk think that was going to be cheap?

Also, Tony Joseph’s Tweet says the deal is “worth” £260k. I’d imagine that “worth” is doing a certain amount of lifting there.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A literal red flag on the field with that one.

Hammy told us at the time of the numerous late night conversations via zoom they had and how thrilled he was. That's scouting that mere stats can't make up for ....

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

As I said to you, I tend to agree. Hibs splashing out a high six figure fee for Vente last season for 5 league goals is testament to the risks of a transfer fee. 

On the other hand, it will throw the cat amongst the pigeons for the Facebook moon howlers though, so swings and roundabouts.

Thing is too with Bair, St Johnstone were reportedly paying a portion of his wage and he was billed from day one as our 4th choice forward. All of those combined meant he got an extra bit of leeway.

A guy coming in on 260k won't get any of that from a few among our support. They're will be an expectation he will hit the ground running.

He also has to leave the club for £1.86m next summer.

38 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Yes I accept the defending is possibly a lower level than SPFL. 

We got 3 clean sheets from 38 in the league last season. We aren't in a position to be casting any stones.

15 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Watching the quantity of headers he’s scored here, it looks to me like we simply need to sign Georgie Gent and we will be in the champions league next season… (and maybe Slatts back to win the free kicks)

Actually, forget the free kicks, we have Balmers long throws. It’ll be like having cheat mode.

Edited by WellHappy

53 minutes ago, WellHappy said:

Watching the quantity of headers he’s scored here, it looks to me like we simply need to sign Georgie Gent and we will be in the champions league next season… (and maybe Slatts back to win the free kicks)

Just need to ensure deliveries...

As an aside, I always love guys who aren't that big being good in the air...an excellent reminder of what can be done.

If Kettlewell did get to spend a couple of hundred grand - I would view that as his deserved reward for turning a joke figure into a player that could get us more than Uncle Phil or Faddy got us.

It's spending money that we've got in the bank, it's showing that we're competing with the clubs around us and based on the information that we've got - it seems like a really sensible move.

If it was a defender or midfielder, I'd be more nervous - but we're good at strikers.

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

If Kettlewell did get to spend a couple of hundred grand - I would view that as his deserved reward for turning a joke figure into a player that could get us more than Uncle Phil or Faddy got us.

It's spending money that we've got in the bank, it's showing that we're competing with the clubs around us and based on the information that we've got - it seems like a really sensible move.

If it was a defender or midfielder, I'd be more nervous - but we're good at strikers.

Not unfair though I do find it a little interesting he's spent that much money on a striker having already signed three... not that the order decisive ofc. I'd have been less surprised if he'd spent it on a new Spittal If he wasn't quite 100% certain Nicholson can be relied upon.