Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Busta Nut said:

My mood is fine.

You know fine well I love a weird moan. Makes me happy.

For the sake of the others in yer hoose, I hope you get the flavour of birthday cake ye wanted...

Just now, Desp said:

For the sake of the others in yer hoose, I hope you get the flavour of birthday cake ye wanted...

I only moan about fitba and c***s parking in the street. 

Too busy playing Barbie and drawin with crayons otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

I don't think I would necessarily even watch a documentary series about Motherwell - the chances of me tuning into a doc about St Johnstone or Partick Thistle (no harm to either of them) would be close to zero (and I would expect the feeling to be mutual).

I think the tinpottery/realness of lower league Scottish Fitba generally would be quite good fun as a series as players/managers at that level probably haven't been media trained to be as mind numbingly boring as Premiership equivalents. I've loved what AVFTT have done with that in various ways - and I could see a fly on the wall thing could be nice.

I had a go at watching the Hearts one, but only managed 5 minutes before I'd cringed all my skin off at Gary Locke, so that was the end of it for me.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I don't think I would necessarily even watch a documentary series about Motherwell - the chances of me tuning into a doc about St Johnstone or Partick Thistle (no harm to either of them) would be close to zero (and I would expect the feeling to be mutual).

I think the tinpottery/realness of lower league Scottish Fitba generally would be quite good fun as a series as players/managers at that level probably haven't been media trained to be as mind numbingly boring as Premiership equivalents. I've loved what AVFTT have done with that in various ways - and I could see a fly on the wall thing could be nice.

I'm the same, I haven't even watched the Turnbull one.

Agree I could imagine a lower league one would be interesting with real people and real lives but with professionals - Motherwell in our case - i have absolutely no interest in knowing what our players are like really, what's the point? The whole magic of football is to escape from your problems for 90 minutes, when you turn up at FP you can feel 10-years-old again watching your heroes run around... I have no desire to know someone on our team is worried about his mortgage, is having marital troubles because the baby doesn't sleep through etc. In the nicest possible way, I don't want to think of them as real people in the way I might be curious about elite amateurs of whatever sport.

Kinda mad how Greek surnames, when written down, are like an optical illusion you just cannot see. Totally impenetrable. Then someone says it out loud a couple of times and you feel really dumb because they sound exactly how they’re written. 

33 minutes ago, CoF said:

Kinda mad how Greek surnames, when written down, are like an optical illusion you just cannot see. Totally impenetrable. Then someone says it out loud a couple of times and you feel really dumb because they sound exactly how they’re written. 

It's all Greek to me.

24 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Miller confirmed as Davor's new best pal.

Screen_Recording_20240722_190336_X3_1.gif.d98657cf7d69f181698ebfa1c97d3254.gif

Saw that but just didn't have the technical knowhow to turn it into a gif to post.  Gave me a wee heartwarming glow to know that he's found someone else , bit cheeky for him to do that with his ex in the stand right enough.  

I'm not sure if this is me being cynical or not but...
we all know Kelly's away, but he signs a brief extension so we get Euro's squad money AND plaster it all over our socials
the club know Bair's away, but he doesn't get announced until after we get Copa money AND plaster him all over our socials.

At the same time recruitment have been speaking to new players, including a certain unpronounceable Greek Aussie who wants to get into international contention. He probably could've went to a lot of clubs with our schedule and those numbers and yet he chose the one where, despite all the investment chat, a good 60%+ of our recent posts have been screaming "GOOD LUCK ON NATIONAL DUTY GUYS". Maybe it's just good timing, idk.

Also believe Davor is pals with everyone, in a way like he has 15+ older brothers to protect him. Maybe he will emphasize with Apostolos Stamatelopoulos over mispronunciations by the denizens of Lanarkshire, and if he can borrow a vowel or two.

2 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

Also believe Davor is pals with everyone, in a way like he has 15+ older brothers to protect him. Maybe he will emphasize with Apostolos Stamatelopoulos over mispronunciations by the denizens of Lanarkshire, and if he can borrow a vowel or two.

He might make a point of it, aye.

Sorry mate, just the Lanarkshire denizen in me lol.

Edited by 'WellDel

11 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

I'm not sure if this is me being cynical or not but...
we all know Kelly's away, but he signs a brief extension so we get Euro's squad money AND plaster it all over our socials
the club know Bair's away, but he doesn't get announced until after we get Copa money AND plaster him all over our socials.

At the same time recruitment have been speaking to new players, including a certain unpronounceable Greek Aussie who wants to get into international contention. He probably could've went to a lot of clubs with our schedule and those numbers and yet he chose the one where, despite all the investment chat, a good 60%+ of our recent posts have been screaming "GOOD LUCK ON NATIONAL DUTY GUYS". Maybe it's just good timing, idk.

Do you mean that you are cynical that we have been pushing those posts out solely to tempt this Aussie guy to sign with us? We've been pretty heavy on the "we have players on international duty" content right back to Declan Gallagher getting his first Scotland call up. It may be that this is the long game paying off (for whatever small part it may have played in him choosing here).

I think Kelly's extension will have meant that a large chunk of the Euros money will go in his direction, he wouldn't sign it with no incentive. I'm also sure that one of the exec board said there was no fee for Bair playing Copa America, but after the last few months, if they told me that grass was green, I'd still look outside and check it wasn't blue.

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Do you mean that you are cynical that we have been pushing those posts out solely to tempt this Aussie guy to sign with us? We've been pretty heavy on the "we have players on international duty" content right back to Declan Gallagher getting his first Scotland call up. It may be that this is the long game paying off (for whatever small part it may have played in him choosing here).

I appreciate our social media isn't everyone's cup of tea all the time but in this regard it's brilliant.

People will often intuitively fancy one thing over another and will then look for reasons to support this. When operating in a market where there are near identical offers being made, repeating over and over again (in suitably chic fashion), 'we can make you better, we can get you playing internationally, we can make your next move worth millions' is exactly the right thing to do.

Everyone (myself included) periodically forgets that Motherwell fans are basically absolutely bottom of the priority list for Motherwell's social media. There are various subsets we do target but I think you'd have to be very petty to claim our chipping away at the subconsciousness of players and agents isn't 1) useful, and 2) very well done.

I seriously doubt anyone would turn down a grand a week (even half that) more elsewhere to sign for us but if it's close, I've no doubt Kettlewell pointing to the millions either in or about to arrive in the bank accounts of KVV, Spittal, Bair and Johnston will make a difference...in due course (it's obviously way to early to draw conclusions) there will also be case studies made comparing the progress and careers of Miller and Rice.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Aye, I was also unsure as to what there was to be cynical about in so much as what we've been pushing recently on the socials is entirely in line with what we've been doing for *years* and have been very good at.

Agree with @Handsome_Devil's post above as well.

Tbh, all that sort of stuff and tangentially the WS landslide vs the Executive Board makes the comments from McMahon and Weir re: comms and their apparent dismissiveness about the value of the Comms/Digital/Brand role at the club look all the more daft. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath but you'd hope that there may have been some eyes well and truly opened around the boardroom after having seen the WS run absolute rings around the club in terms of messaging and the buy in they've been able to generate amongst the fanbase.

It's churlish to think that any footballer's decision is going to be swayed, in isolation, by Tweets or whatever we're putting out on the socials but it comes back to being able to create stories and creating a bigger picture that everyone involved can sell.

It's been said before on here that one of the most notable things that Burrows and Grant managed to do was make Motherwell look like a bigger operation than it is. It still rings true to me.

@Handsome_Devil is absolutely correct (IMO) to say that repeating our messaging in the way we have is entirely the right thing to do.

Caldwell spoke about "easy wins" in his interview last week and it really feels to me that this is one of them. Place value in how the club is presenting itself and the stories it's telling and there's a lot that you can do with that.

I realise that prices went up and there's been a redrawing of ticket eligibility (and numbers may have been fudged historically with free kids tickets etc) but I'd be interested to know what sort of drop off we've seen in ST numbers since Grant/Burrows left and the running of the club has been left to the outgoing chairman with his nodding dogs and the part-time CEO with their "I think we do a good job" POV.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I appreciate our social media isn't everyone's cup of tea all the time but in this regard it's brilliant.

People will often intuitively fancy one thing over another and will then look for reasons to support this. When operating in a market where there are near identical offers being made, repeating over and over again (in suitably chic fashion), 'we can make you better, we can get you playing internationally, we can make your next move worth millions' is exactly the right thing to do.

Everyone (myself included) periodically forgets that Motherwell fans are basically absolutely bottom of the priority list for Motherwell's social media. There are various subsets we do target but I think you'd have to be very petty to claim our chipping away at the subconsciousness of players and agents isn't 1) useful, and 2) very well done.

I seriously doubt anyone would turn down a grand a week (even half that) more elsewhere to sign for us but if it's close, I've no doubt Kettlewell pointing to the millions either in or about to arrive in the bank accounts of KVV, Spittal, Bair and Johnston will make a difference...in due course (it's obviously way to early to draw conclusions) there will also be case studies made comparing the progress and careers of Miller and Rice.

This is absolutely spot on.

Last season, just after the papers had pretty much announced that Spittal was a done deal to Hearts, we put an infographic on social media, bascially detailing how brilliant he was.

My first instinct was to ask what the point in it was, if it had basically been confirmed he was leaving for free and we weren't even trying to sell him, but then it clicked. Whilst it's in the news that an attacking midfielder with great "numbers" has got himself a decent move, it makes sense to capitalise on it and show how we managed to get what was previously something of a Scottish football journeyman into the form of his life to get the message that we can do that for a player out in the clear.

Probably the last thing a Motherwell fan wants to see when a player is announced as offski to a divisional rival, but for the club's brand and strategy, it's worth pushing out there.

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, all that sort of stuff and tangentially the WS landslide vs the Executive Board makes the comments from McMahon and Weir re: comms and their apparent dismissiveness about the value of the Comms/Digital/Brand role at the club look all the more daft. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath but you'd hope that there may have been some eyes well and truly opened around the boardroom after having seen the WS run absolute rings around the club in terms of messaging and the buy in they've been able to generate amongst the fanbase.

I have a professional bias, but I must admit that the old guard being taken to the woodshed and getting absolutely violated by the youngsters using their modern communications strategies was possibly the piece de resistance of the whole investment debacle.

And without downplaying what they did - they had a great plan and executed brilliantly - it wasn't exactly reinventing the wheel here. It more adds to my bemusement that folk in the building when Burrows and Russell were spinning their wheels simply refuse to see the value of investing (relatively modestly at that) in keeping our fans on board with the story, selling ourselves to players, positioning ourselves yada yada purely because you cannot give it an immediate concrete value in the next accounts.

It's as if they thought increased season ticket sales, the logo free paddy power sponsorship, the increase in transfer fees etc were completely disconnected to half the work being done in the office next door.