Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm already looking back fondly to the days where there was no fitba and we just talked about voting rights on the executive board.

Oooooo remembers Erik Barmack? What were that all about?20240728_231740.jpg.dfea8f4de9894bf331a99726c36e83ed.jpg

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Why? Does turning it round with months of top six form, securing safety with yonks to spare, creating a £1.5m striker and bagging a landmark once-in-a-generation win not prove beyond doubt it was right not to empty him?

That's yesterday's news. I mean, sure, the payment for big Theo hasn't even arrived in the PayPal account yet, but still. A few poor games in the League Cup group stages are more than enough to warrant bumping the manager.

I mean, that always works, right? It worked out just fine when we did something similar last time!

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I was told someone questioned it and the office lady replied "we're not a babysitting  agency"

Or words to that effect.

Loads of under 14s in the John Hunter without an adult 

1995: Kids in Motherwell hanging about off licences asking jakies or sound folk to "mate, buy us a few cans?"

2025: Hanging about outside the Cooper stand at 2:45 looking for an adult to "walk us in mate and let us call you Dad?"

Fake ID's to get into the fitba is a potential growth market.

5 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

2025: Hanging about outside the Cooper stand at 2:45 looking for an adult to "walk us in mate and let us call you Dad?"

This could also lead to a few youngsters chancing upon their actual da'. A kind of North Lanarkshire version of that Davina McCall long lost families shite on the telly.

A stroke of lucky, happy reunion and entry to the game for the kid, maybe not so happy for the guy who's unwittingly just walked straight into a chance encounter with the offspring from a one night stand and 14 years of back payments to the CSA.

9 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Who decided this rule and what is the purpose of it? Why turn away kids that are the future of our support?

Since I was young

But over 14

Motherwell FC

The team for me. 

9 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I looked up other entertainment policies. And for example you can go to a Vue Cinema without an adult if you are over the age of 8.

Entertainment. Not a great place to start a comparison.

21 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tell you what, that was a great cross from Seddon eh?

Based on his first 60 seconds I've already decided he's going to be the saviour of our season by setting Stama up to score 27 headers.

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Tell you what, that was a great cross from Seddon eh?

It might have been a riccochet that just fell kindly for him, but it looked like he did something really cool to beat the defender just before the cross. Happened so quickly that I couldn't be sure.

Also on something I'd seen others say earlier, I can't be too harsh on Robinson for not finishing it. It was just down in front of where I sit and the defender about 2ft in front of him managed to get a touch on the ball that changed the flight of it at the last split-second, there was no way he'd have time to react to it.

Edited by Al B

Robinson is definitely a good player, I'm no sure he's a lone striker though. Maybe we should one of our other 40 up top with him? 🤷‍♂️

Also, Lennon Miller is a superb footballer but I think in moving him forward one we lost a huge amount in the midfield. 

Edited by MurrayWell
Lone not loan

Positives: 

• Oxborough looks decent. He came out and claimed a cross without stress early on and I nearly fell off my seat in shock. I wonder if we were keeping Kelly sweet to bank that Euros money more than keeping him in because he deserved it. 
  • Robinson looks quite useful. Could have scored a couple but for a great save and making a bit of an arse of a header. 
  • The chasni pie has signed an extension which is, possibly, our best bit of business so far. 
  • At least the penalties were funny. 

Negatives (aside from everything else):

• The defence still looks ready to drop a clanger at any given moment. Casey getting regularly turned inside out, Blaney with the most embarrassing yellow card of the day having been caught out big time and narrowly avoiding a second yellow for a shit tackle. 
  • I was willing to give Halliday the benefit of the doubt last season because he hadn't really played much before signing. However on the current evidence he looks hopeless. Can't run, can't pass forward, can't tackle and create anything. Him and Davor get in each others way but I'd probably rather Davor was in there. 
  • Stuparevic touched the ball about twice so I still don't know if he's any good or not. 

The injury situation is something that's a nightmare already. Nicholson would be class to have available as someone to join up things between midfield and attack. Callaghan might also offer us a bit of dig in midfield as well. 

If the team that took to the field yesterday played all our leagues games we would be odds on favourites for relegation.

But as stated previously I genuinely believe that when the dust settles there will be no more than 4 possibly 5 players that played yesterday that will be in our strongest line up when everyone is fit. A big if granted. 

Kaleta is a unit. Young fit and strong. If he has the skills and technique I can see him slotting in at RB until Jonny K is fit to see what he has. Seddon also looks strong and fit. He was signed as 1st choice LB. Then there is Kofi Balmer. On the evidence of yesterday he has to be one of our CB. McGinn likely to play also. 

So it was effectively a reserve side with a handful of 1st teamers and it showed. Just glad we got through in the end. 

Hopefully Apostolos passes his medical and is a formally announced today or tomorrow. Not sure where he is at regarding fitness. As not sure when A league season is. The sooner we get him up and running the better. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Hopefully Apostolos passes his medical and is a formally announced today or tomorrow. Not sure where he is at regarding fitness. As not sure when A league season is. The sooner we get him up and running the better. 

Runs October - May, I think. So he'll maybe need a bit of time.

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Positives: 

• The chasni pie has signed an extension which is, possibly, our best bit of business so far. 

Had one yesterday.  It was absolutely sensational! 

I'm going for a curry after the game on Saturday.  It's fine to have a chasni pie at the game as a wee starter, isn't it?

32 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If the team that took to the field yesterday played all our leagues games we would be odds on favourites for relegation.

But as stated previously I genuinely believe that when the dust settles there will be no more than 4 possibly 5 players that played yesterday that will be in our strongest line up when everyone is fit. A big if granted. 

Kaleta is a unit. Young fit and strong. If he has the skills and technique I can see him slotting in at RB until Jonny K is fit to see what he has. Seddon also looks strong and fit. He was signed as 1st choice LB. Then there is Kofi Balmer. On the evidence of yesterday he has to be one of our CB. McGinn likely to play also. 

So it was effectively a reserve side with a handful of 1st teamers and it showed. Just glad we got through in the end. 

I hope you’re right.

Folk have every right to be concerned that we look an incoherent toothless shambles in what was effectively the dress rehearsal for the season proper.

Despite getting our business done early, which I'm sure everyone is a fan of, it appears to have done us zero benefit and we’re still using the same players that were at the heart of what much was wrong last season. 

Edited by Allroy for Prez