Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I found his bit about Kettlewell a bit of a strange take as well.

Firstly, a ridiculously back handed compliment to the manager "everyone else thought you were shite, but I still liked you".

Secondly, as he appears to be, as a result, taking credit for Bair's sale and Miller's new contract.

What an ego 😆

Thing is there is probably a fair amount he could take credit for from over the years. Why didn't he just focus on that in his farewell? Did feel like there were a few unnecessary thinly veiled swipes in there, but maybe we're all reading into it too much. 

I've long held the opinion that he comes across as far too full of his own importance, spoke about this on here well before the investment chat started.

Wish he had highlighted his record of  overseeing more secret contract extensions than any other chair. 

It's kind of been missed on account of Magennis-gate, the Sky Sports coverage and Chairman Jim finally f**king off but Caldwell's been in the press today.

It''s been interesting to see the extent to which he seems keen to align himself with The Well Society (especially in light of the ongoing snideness from McMahon in their direction).

I believe it was the WS who essentially hired him. I think in the last few months he's had to sort of "toe the line" while the Investment and Chairman leaving were happening.

I am sure he's all for the fan ownership and WS.

3 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

No mention of Max Johnstone however …..

I'm also pretty sure that Lennon Miller signed his new contract when we were 4 games without a win as well, he's phrased it like he signed it when the third goal went in up at Dingwall.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I believe it was the WS who essentially hired him. I think in the last few months he's had to sort of "toe the line" while the Investment and Chairman leaving were happening.

I am sure he's all for the fan ownership and WS.

They were certainly involved in the hiring process though to what extent I don't know.

So far Caldwell has said everything you'd expect him to say but at least he's been pretty convincing in doing it...and you'd think both his experience from St Mirren and joining knowing the likely direction if the investment was rejected means he has arrived at FP eyes wide open.

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Actually the one I disagree with here. I think he's going to be a) good for us and b) a fairly big part of the season for us.

Callachan's most productive season in terms of goals and assists by a distance was his season with Accies, where he played in quite a lot in the spaces that Spittal occupied last year (albeit on the right rather than the left).

There's absolutely something there with him, IMO, and while I don't think he'll be as good as Spittal, I think he'll contribute more than people seem to think. Either alongside Nicholson behind the striker, or in a horses for courses approach if we need a more combative approach in those areas than Nicholson can necessarily deliver. 

He was shite with us, FWIW, so presumably ends this season with Scotland caps.

Magennis feels like a financial risk you don't need to take to me, but then again having alternatives maybe makes it a smart gamble as you're not reliant on him so if/when he's our for months it's not deadly.

There is some logic in signing a bunch of crocks and hoping the law of averages means some pull through and play a bunch of games, but it's bad logic.

Some people just aren't made for the physical challenge, and nothing we have done in recent years suggests that we have a magician for a physio.

3 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Some people just aren't made for the physical challenge, and nothing we have done in recent years suggests that we have a magician for a physio.

Possibly confirmation bias at play but it would seem the amount of bad luck we've had has been higher than average for a while...some if it is bizarre signing choices but not all.

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Possibly confirmation bias at play but it would seem the amount of bad luck we've had has been higher than average for a while...some if it is bizarre signing choices but not all.

Some of our crock signings I understand more than others. Signing a man with hamstring issues permanently, on the back of him not being fit to start any of the final 10 games of his loan due to said hamstring issues was just lunacy.

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Some of our crock signings I understand more than others. Signing a man with hamstring issues permanently, on the back of him not being fit to start any of the final 10 games of his loan due to said hamstring issues was just lunacy.

I would add to that at the same time not wanting to take a gamble on another more prolific striker on the back of his injury concerns. 

Not going to lie, wee bit envious of St Mirren tonight ably tucking away opposition from a lower level league, while on telly, decent transfer business and very good chance of progression with a nice windfall if managed. If they had a bigger stadium then they could have added 4k to the gate on Sunday.

That's what momentum is.

51 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Not going to lie, wee bit envious of St Mirren tonight ably tucking away opposition from a lower level league, while on telly, decent transfer business and very good chance of progression with a nice windfall if managed. If they had a bigger stadium then they could have added 4k to the gate on Sunday.

That's what momentum is.

I so wanted us to sign Shaun Rooney. He will turn out to be a very good signing for them. 

Robinson has a straightforward blueprint and it works well in the Scottish top flight. Sign strong athletic players mixed in with no little skill all over the park and you get a team that will win more than they lose. That plus they will not be prone to Sligo like f**k ups. 

All that said we had three seasons in Europe where we had 3 rounds / ties. Sadly the likes of Sligo and Stjarnan tend to be more memorable for all the wrong reasons. 

56 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

That's what momentum is.

Absolutely this. It’s how we should have been on our last sojourn into Europe. However we seriously neglected that opportunity and the half arsed effort as a club now we look back on it was embarrassing. 

St Mirren looked decent tonight and fancy them to have another good season. Unfortunately…..

Don't know if anyone is ambivalent of the guy now or when we let him leave but Mark O'Hara has proven to be a solid midfielder and leader for them, chipping in with a fair few goals and assists. They also have one player over 31 to our three.

The guys they have went for with premiership experience just seem a wee bit better as a whole. Granted not all of ours are on Ketts watch but, I dunno, I'd rather the following at our disposal than than our reality:

Tanser - Progression at St Johnstone to where he is now

Kiltie - Proven performer increased in stature

Gogic - He was the sort of player we needed when Hammy got the job to add some oomph to our back line and he was available

Iacovitti - Was a solid performer in a weaker side and relationship already with Ketts

Fraser - Similar to Tanser just at Ross County

Rooney - Enough said

O'Hara - Club captain, stepped up from when he left us, I'd argue not used to his full potential or regularly enough

Mandron - Granted only 6 months of which he was injured for a fair bit

Jimmy Scott - Appreciate his time at Hibs and last season in Paisley weren't great

vs

McGinn - Mr consistent (or was), 33

Gordon - Impressed so far even if he's a bit enthusiastic in training, like how he marshals the defence

SOD - Lovely guy, good ambassador, don't think he can effectively play WB in the way we need, 32

Halliday - No resale, no right, no good, 32

Callachan - Too early to say but he is also 30

Paton - I value him as a perfectly acceptable 25 mins a game sort of guy if needed, many don't

Nicholson - Not really had a chance to step up and shine now Spittal is away

Even when Mark O'Hara left us, it was easy to see there was a player there. He just hadn't mastered a role - he was a jack of all trades type. Natural that when he was in his mid to late 20's to early 30's he'd settle down and be a bit more composed. Zero surprise to see him come good.

Aye, I'm not having we shouldn't have let Mark O'Hara go become a thing.  He was, in the main, pretty pish for us.  That's ok, he's obviously found the right club for him and good luck to him.  These things happen sometimes.  We've seen it happen 100 times with us; sometimes a player just fits at a certain club and thrives (see John Sutton (Motherwell) vs John Sutton (Hearts) for prime example).

Stephen Robinson doing great things again which is also great to see.  He definitely ran out of road at Motherwell and it was the right time to part ways but chuffed to see him pick things up again.  He knows what he's doing at this level.  

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

Robinson has a straightforward blueprint and it works well in the Scottish top flight.

Couldn't really care less about St.Mirren but got total respect for Robinson.

5 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Couldn't really care less about St.Mirren but got total respect for Robinson.

I'm always amused at the continual refusal of Aberdeen and Hibs to give him the shot at a 'big' club he's so clearly earned. Delighted to see him do well.

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Even when Mark O'Hara left us, it was easy to see there was a player there. He just hadn't mastered a role - he was a jack of all trades type. Natural that when he was in his mid to late 20's to early 30's he'd settle down and be a bit more composed. Zero surprise to see him come good.

If I remember correctly, Mark O'Hara had various injury issues when with us and had missed large chunks of the season. He did show that he could change games single-handedly, the cup game against St. Mirren springs to mind, but we weren't prepared to push the boat out on a new contract for a player who hadn't been consistently available. I appreciate the irony of this given some of our recent dealings 😄

St. Mirren offered him a better deal so off he went.