Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Was Erik not apparently joining the WS if he lost? 

Funds were diverted to buy voodoo dolls of myself, @fatcalf @Handsome_Devil @StAndrew7 @camer0n_mcd @Jim McLean's Ghost @Doctor Manhattan &@David1979 plus a lot of very long needles.

You probably got added to the list for your Vietnam 2 - 0 USA comment too.

A reminder for Well Society members that Board Election voting opens at noon on Monday 5th August.

Good luck to anyone who is standing for election. I’m looking forward to seeing the full list of candidates.

It’s my time to seek re-election so I’ve popped a wee thread on Twitter to detail some of the work I’ve carried out and the reasons why I’m standing again, but ultimately I need to fulfil my commitment to delivering the vision set out in our plan.

Alongside Jay, Phil, Sean, Amber and Markus I’ve spent a lot of time and effort trying to get us to a better position. I feel we’re very much on the right track but I want to see that work through to completion. With the right people in place on the Society board and on the Exec board I’m confident we can deliver positive outcomes at Fir Park.

As always, DM’s are open if anyone has any questions at all. Happy to answer.

29 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think folk are over hyping Nicholson. Or at least laying too much at his (injured) feet. 

Aye he was alright last season. Looked good sometimes, other times he looked way off the pace.

Anyone hanging their hat on Nicholson to turn round out fortunes is going to be disappointed

19 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aye he was alright last season. Looked good sometimes, other times he looked way off the pace.

Anyone hanging their hat on Nicholson to turn round out fortunes is going to be disappointed

I dont think anyone is hanging their hat on him.

But he is another option which Id rather we had than not.

Folks are moaning about how poor the midfield is right now. I dont think anyone would deny that he would improve it?

1 hour ago, DerekWatson said:

A reminder for Well Society members that Board Election voting opens at noon on Monday 5th August.

Good luck to anyone who is standing for election. I’m looking forward to seeing the full list of candidates.

It’s my time to seek re-election so I’ve popped a wee thread on Twitter to detail some of the work I’ve carried out and the reasons why I’m standing again, but ultimately I need to fulfil my commitment to delivering the vision set out in our plan.

Alongside Jay, Phil, Sean, Amber and Markus I’ve spent a lot of time and effort trying to get us to a better position. I feel we’re very much on the right track but I want to see that work through to completion. With the right people in place on the Society board and on the Exec board I’m confident we can deliver positive outcomes at Fir Park.

As always, DM’s are open if anyone has any questions at all. Happy to answer.

Cheers Derek.

You will certainly have my vote.

Will there be a full list of candidates and their election pitches sent out like last time?

3 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Funds were diverted to buy voodoo dolls of myself, @fatcalf @Handsome_Devil @StAndrew7 @camer0n_mcd @Jim McLean's Ghost @Doctor Manhattan &@David1979 plus a lot of very long needles.

You probably got added to the list for your Vietnam 2 - 0 USA comment too.

De Niro Smoking GIF by NETFLIX

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I think folk are over hyping Nicholson. Or at least laying too much at his (injured) feet. 

He gets better with every game he doesn't play ....

He could offer something that Darov / Halliday / Miller don't but I didn't see anything last season to suggest he could replace Spittal 

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont think anyone is hanging their hat on him.

But he is another option which Id rather we had than not.

Folks are moaning about how poor the midfield is right now. I dont think anyone would deny that he would improve it?

Nicholson was quite clearly brought in with a view to stepping up when Spittal left. Who knows to what extent it would have worked, how long it would have taken or if he'll now ever recover 100%.

Certainly anyone expecting an instant like for like replacement for Spittal would probably be disappointed, we just don't replace players who become that good with players already that good...even Spittal August 2022 was a shadow of the Spittal who left in summer, it is, cliché alert, the model in action.

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Cheers Derek.

You will certainly have my vote.

Will there be a full list of candidates and their election pitches sent out like last time?

Thanks very much, really appreciate it.

There will be a full list of candidates with personal statements and each candidate has been given the opportunity to submit a 3 minute video to detail why they are standing and what they will bring to the table.

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It's not that I think Nicholson will be the guy to turn us around, more that we have a load of guys in our squad who run about a lot but aren't good on the ball. In his limited time we saw last season Nicholson was different in that he would drive the ball forward and take a man on. None of our current midfield will do that. 

Would like to see us pick up another option in there but I suspect it'll be end of the window loan from down south stuff. 

I thought Nicholson was pretty good for us last season, certainly has the ability to creative something out of nothing and I think he's probably one of the more technically gifted players we have.

However, I think it's quite bizarre that it looks like we haven't really signed another option like that or someone in the 'Spittal mould', given we don't seem to be drastically changing our system.

We now find ourselves in a situation where we have very little to no creativity coming from the areas where we had so much joy last season. That's not to say we haven't been trying to get someone, as others have said it might be a really tricky position to recruit for, especially when it's not taking a punt on someone we've never heard of. 

I don't disagree with anything that was said about Nicholson being another decent option. I just think that even when he did play, he looked like a winger who was playing a central role. 

Has any other team started the season with so many injuries and/or signings apparently not fit yet? If not, what makes us different.

The drop off in quality between our starting strikers/forward options and St Mirrens, Killies, Utd and Dundee is frightening. 

18 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Has any other team started the season with so many injuries and/or signings apparently not fit yet? If not, what makes us different.

The drop off in quality between our starting strikers/forward options and St Mirrens, Killies, Utd and Dundee is frightening. 

I think I heard yesterday that Killie were carrying quite a few injuries. And/or not risking them ahead of European games. 

We do seem to be worse off than most in this regard and it is quite infuriating. I would rather Sam Nicholson be available than not. Like many I think he offers us more creativity than our current midfield options. He was coming back from injury only to apparently get a worse injury. FFS. 

We signed 11 players and only 3 started on Saturday. This is also infuriating. At least Callachan and Stama got some minutes.  They will likely be starters as will Balmer and Seddon. I was even impressed with Marvellous Marvin when he came on v Thistle. 

I watched the games yesterday and have to agree. The tayside derby defending was poor, but the chances created and goals scored were quite a bit above what we have shown so far. That said Stama will be our main striker no doubt so will reserve judgement until he is up to speed. 

I would say we need another couple of forward / midfield creative options as soon as possible. I would imagine we were already looking for one but Sam Nicholson being injured as well as Paton just adds some urgency. 

Edited by welldaft