Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't lie I usually would agree with these takes. I did think this one was closer to the bone though.

And the point @capt_oats makes about the distraction being a pile of shite was something I thought as well.

I get why folk looking in from the outside get us wrong quite often. Last season for example, we had *Theo Bair*, a loan kid from Arsenal and Connor Wilkinson as our forwards. Turned out that was a £5m+ forward line (and Connor Wilkinson). Before that, we had a mad Dutch jobber that ended up a hero with 30 odd goals and in the POTY equation. Before that, we got a tune out Tony Watt when no-one expected us (or anyone else) to do that, etc, etc

We've got a long-standing, weird track record of doing that stuff and it can make experts look a bit stupid at times.

On this season - I'm not sure how anyone knows how we're going to do as we haven't played anything even resembling our first choice team at any point so far (and the window is still open) - but they could clearly end up being right this time.

22 minutes ago, Swello said:

On this season - I'm not sure how anyone knows how we're going to do as we haven't played anything even resembling our first choice team at any point so far (and the window is still open) - but they could clearly end up being right this time.

If you predict Motherwell will get relegated every season, you'll be right eventually.

But the nature of modern recruitment - particularly post Brexit - means predicting in pre-season is even more of a guess than ever.

What I would say on the negative side is that teams who get relegated nearly always point to a massive injury list...it matters little how good your recruitment is if you're never close to fielding a full team. There's no doubt our current 'luck' (if you're generous) or incompetence (my pov) is certainly tipping the scales though, and not in the direction we want.

3 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Just a question regarding ticketing, is our category one fixtures just the OF or do Hearts and Hibs stray into it too due to the numbers they bring?

McLean stand tickets are listed as £26 for the Hearts game on the club website so them and Hibs will both be Category 2 

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't lie I usually would agree with these takes. I did think this one was closer to the bone though.

And the point @capt_oats makes about the distraction being a pile of shite was something I thought as well.

Aye. @Swello's post above kind of covers where I am atm. I genuinely don't know how anyone could make an assessment of us one way or another just now given the fact we've not been able to get anything like a first choice XI on the park (I'd guess the team that was scudded by Everton was largely the players who need the minutes in the legs).

I mean, I wasn't scandalised by Fowler or Craig's takes or anything and I agree that if you're taking your position based on that game in isolation then they probably weren't that far off the mark.

I guess it's just more a case of if you're going to dig us out for still playing SOD or having Lennon Miller playing out of position or whatever then fine but at least acknowledge when there's an actual reason for it (and there clearly is).

Edited by capt_oats

I’ll pledge my vote to whoever promises to stop Sunday kick offs.  Can’t remember the last time I could make a Sunday game. 

There does seem some really good candidates who seem like they could add valuable skill sets.

I thought a lot of that Terrace discussion was based on the assumption that the team we put out on Saturday is the one we'll put out for the rest of the season- which I don't really think is accurate- but I'm not sure I can disagree with their overall conclusions? 

We're very much a work in progress with a raft of new signings and a, frankly, insane injury list, but at the end of the day we finished 9th last season and lost our 3 best players. The last time we won at Fir Park against someone other than Livi or Ross County was the Killie game at the end of August, and now we've already dropped points in what might turn out to be our easiest fixture of the season. I agree that we're a total unknown and it really could go either way but given we look like we'll be putting out shambolic teams for at least the first month until we get some bodies in, I think you'd have to have a lot of faith in Kettlewell having got his summer business exceptionally spot on to be predicting us finishing above anybody other than County or St Johnstone. 

8 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

That's basically my take from listening to that and pretty much any output that either of the two Craig's have been involved in with Motherwell over the years, they think we're shite and by god, they'll let us know about it at any opportunity.

See to be fair, literally everyone, probably including Killie fans, think Craig A hates their team bitterly.

It's one of my favourite things about him.

41 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I thought a lot of that Terrace discussion was based on the assumption that the team we put out on Saturday is the one we'll put out for the rest of the season- which I don't really think is accurate- but I'm not sure I can disagree with their overall conclusions? 

I know it is a Scottish Football podcast, but even a little bit more effort and research and they would realise the situation most teams are in and make a more informed discussion rather than the lazy stereotype shite they tend to spout. 

I have listened to most of the media and pundits summary of the season ahead and almost all of them have St Johnstone relegated, Ross County 11th and us 10th. Including the Terrace podcast. One thing is for sure unless there is a big surprise it is these 3 teams that will be fighting it out to avoid the drop. Maybe United and at a stretch Hibs but both these teams will throw money at the problem. 

That is why my sole ambition this season sadly is that there are two teams more shite than us. It remains to be seen if that is the case. But us missing half a 1st team by the 2nd week of the season does not help us at all. All in all it is shite being a Motherwell fan at the moment. It is all pretty much negative news and very little to get us excited about the season ahead 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by welldaft

44 minutes ago, welldaft said:

All in all it is shite being a Motherwell fan at the moment. 

I obviously have a more relaxed view from abroad given I don't have to endure the games in the stadium but I really think that's ott. 

We've successfully fended off a comical takeover bid, reinvigorated the Society, have a fairly highly rated CEO finally in position to get going, we have a potential once-in-a-generation player, we're showing a bit of ambition by paying proper fees, we have a young manager who for all his flaws can demonstrably improve and sell players etc. The season start has been a bit frustrating due to the injuries and it may even turn out to be another shiter - but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a season. In the big picture, I'm as bullish about our prospects as a club as I've been in years.

Off field yes, optimism abounds.

On the pitch, the reason that motivates all universally it feels decidedly underwhelming. Maybe being abroad and being restricted to watching games in the warmth with refreshments can alter a view. As its been pointed out, season ticket holders witnessing three wins in 16 games at Fir Park from last September against two other awful teams, often in the cold and rain, wears patience thin.

Not writing off this window as we're unlikely to see our strongest team till October and so many players recruited we have no idea if they will add something. We may have recruited excellently but since so many were permacrocks before they came here and with the "hands up, I take full responsibility for Obika" at the AGM yet doing it again feels like Groundhog Day. The manager has improved more players than not so there is that. We did limp through the league cup groups when our peers flew through them at a canter.

Aberdeen have improved, Hibs (despite their EPL link) seem just as rotten and Livi have been replaced by the Arabs who are an improvement. St Mirren and Kilmarnock will consolidate barring an implosion or a run of our bad luck with injuries. I assume by May the table will be similar to how it was three months ago however more competition from 4th to 8th and pulled away from the bottom three who will be very much in a mini league from March.

Looking 20 miles away I can't help but feel envious of the business done by our former HoR Martin Foyle and Robinson when St Mirren have recruited well again in back to back windows, seeing Div give praise on the official P&B account earlier got a "pffftttttt" from me. Not because I want them to fail, just us to be marginally better.

We just always seem to make things hard for ourselves, often unnecessarily.

And yeah, it does feel odd saying that within a month of selling, without any precedent for our club, a no hope for 1.6m after a six month purple patch.

Edited by Vietnam91

I think the problem is last season was shite, but when we started the clear out/bringing players in early doors there was a wee bit of a buzz. Now though, we’ve started the season fairly slowly, have more injuries than we can keep track of and the buzz is gone - which makes it a slightly artificially “worse” situation. As is standard, it’s the hope that kills you.

I think as well we could all have done with a month off, away enjoy the Euros and forget about Motherwell. Instead with the whole Barmack thing last season feels like it’s run into this season and there isn’t the same “fresh start” vibes. 

12 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I obviously have a more relaxed view from abroad given I don't have to endure the games in the stadium but I really think that's ott. 

We've successfully fended off a comical takeover bid, reinvigorated the Society, have a fairly highly rated CEO finally in position to get going, we have a potential once-in-a-generation player, we're showing a bit of ambition by paying proper fees, we have a young manager who for all his flaws can demonstrably improve and sell players etc. The season start has been a bit frustrating due to the injuries and it may even turn out to be another shiter - but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a season. In the big picture, I'm as bullish about our prospects as a club as I've been in years.

I will have some of what he is drinking 😉.

I am on a group WhatsApp with around 20+ Well fans. One was having a meltdown over our injuries early in the week. I went back and said you know 4 out 22 outfield players is not that bad and not that dissimilar to other clubs. That was before it was announced about the recent quartet also. Eventually I had to agree with him.

I may be being a little melodramatic and not for the 1st time. It is nice having a well regarded CEO. I am pleased the Well Society saw off that pitiful proposal.  But the simple truth is that my mood is affected more by the results, performances on the pitch and the depth and strength of the playing squad.

If we get positive performances and results no one will be happier than me I can assure you. My negativity stems from the fact that I don’t see that happening anytime soon with an entire midfield having been decimated and other key injuries. I would love to be wrong. I will still go to all the home games hoping I am. 

Edited by welldaft

Just now, Busta Nut said:

Who is Lowry?

One from the **** Academy. Next Big Thing sort but not really.

IIRC was on loan at Hearts last season but bumped back to them halfway through the season.

10 hours ago, welldaft said:

But the simple truth is that my mood is affected more by the results and the depth and strength of the playing squad.

If we get positive performances and results no one will be happier than me I can assure you. My negativity stems from the fact that I don’t see that happening anytime soon with an entire midfield having been decimated and other key injuries.

That's perfectly understandable, it's why we all support the team after all. I don't even disagree with your short-term prediction for on the pitch, I think anyone expecting anything other than a struggle while the physio room is packed to capacity and we're waiting to see how SK progresses is optimistic to a foolish degree.

But over time and all other things being equal, clubs that are well run and led by the right people with the right attitude will almost certainly do no worse than fine and often better. For the first time since Burrows began to lose his edge (late 2021?), you can make the case for us approaching this again.

I've seen nearly 40 Motherwell seasons, the vast majority of which were either meh or when meh would have been a welcome alternative to all out panic... another one, if it comes, will be mildly annoying but makes very little difference really, certainly in comparison to the relief of putting 'the lost spell' of the Burrows exit, Alexander-Hammell debacle and McMahon meltdown behind us and finally being able to say with confidence that we expect better in the medium, if not short, term.