Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Yep. It's so easy to jump in and say he shouldn't have started now that he came off injured. Given we don't know anything really it's just as equally plausable that a generrally fit 25 year old who passed all the medical tests he was given didn't cause any worries to the manager or the club to play for 45 mins/60 mins.

Feels very much like a reason to batter Kettlewell if you are looking for one.

Tbf most folk have made it clear the exact location for the blame can't be specified. And yes, it might have been simple bad luck but when it comes on top of our current list, it's hard to be generous.

4 minutes ago, McFadden said:

We absolutely love passing it back the way. 

We genuinely have no pace to do anything else. 

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

If I need to watch Halliday and O'Donnell regularly this season I might just scratch my eyes out. 

Been saying that since pre season. 

Edited by wellboy1991

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Kettlewell could set fire to some of your houses and you'd die saying "give him time to put it out".

I'm not sure you need to be a Kettlewell fanboy to hold differing opinions to the likes of yourself who clearly don't like him.  I'm certainly no fan boy of Kettlewell, but I absolutely don't think we know anywhere near enough to now be saying he definitely shouldn't have started Stama. It's total guesswork.

1 minute ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Sigh? The guy admitted after the County game he wasn’t fit. 

Yes, sigh. 

I was actually expecting us to bring someone in during the week, especially once the Nicholson injury was confirmed.

Seems weird to be saying this on the second weekend of the league but it’s actually a bit desperate now.  

If we are holding off on a few deadline day loans I think that’ll be too late.

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Kettlewell could set fire to some of your houses and you'd die saying "give him time to put it out".

I think you'd be complaining why Ketts didn't build the houses with that nice fire-proof asbestos ;)

The poor buggers got Hobson's choice - he's got half a team missing, he'll get pelters off the paying punters if he doesn't put a strong team out, he's a probably got the Aussie lad pleading to get going.    

With the benefit of 20-20 hindsight should he have played?  No, but if he'd scored early and got rested at half time, you'd probably be complaining why he hadn't got the second half to keep pushing on

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'm not sure you need to be a Kettlewell fanboy to hold differing opinions to the likes of yourself who clearly don't like him.  I'm certainly no fan boy of Kettlewell, but I absolutely don't think we know anywhere near enough to now be saying he definitely shouldn't have started Stama. It's total guesswork.

Yes, sigh. 

I think the point that’s being made, which has alot of merit imo, is that given the current injury situation you perhaps treat with caution someone who can’t be match fit. Given our shape basically means that the lone striker had a role of running about a lot but wasn’t going to be involved too much otherwise, it does seem stupid to of started him. 

The guys had no pre-season, hasn’t played since May and has had less than 10 days training.

No matter your view on Kettlewell, you can’t possibly deny it was a gamble to start him today and one he didn’t have to take. Especially when he’s literally got 2 senior strikers he also signed sitting on the bench. 

31 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Agree re Stama, should have started Robinson today and given AS at least 30 mins in the second half. Then played him from the start against Killie. Striker is the one position we had options, maybe not great ones but options. 

In hindsight you may be right, he managed 25 minutes last week, no reason for him not to attempt 45 minutes today.

Still in it with 15 to go - and we've actually had the half chances where we could have levelled - and going for it now with Moses for Davor.

It's fair to say my expectations for today were low but also fair to say we've met them!

Essentially it's very easy to shrug off the opening two games if you think a fully fit squad will do better. If you think this is as good as it gets, we obviously look doomed.

Someone mentioned Kettlewell fanboys earlier, do we actually have any? I get the impression 5-10% of our support just don't like him or always want to sack the manager and basically everyone else is saying wait and see.

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

The guys had no pre-season, hasn’t played since May and has had less than 10 days training.

No matter your view on Kettlewell, you can’t possibly deny it was a gamble to start him today and one he didn’t have to take. Especially when he’s literally got 2 senior strikers he also signed sitting on the bench. 

I think that's a much better way to put it than some of the posts I've read. 

Just now, eliphas said:

I think that's a much better way to put it than some of the posts I've read. 

I don’t suppose it matters how it is put across. We possibly have another injury to our star signing.

I like Kettlewell and have pretty much always maintained that stance. He has done a decent enough job since he has come in. If he keeps us up this year then that also will be a decent effort. 

If you agree with the oft-heard adage that "there's no substitute for game time for fitness", then a run around in the sunshine on the big wide spaces of Hampden, against a team we're not expected to beat, seems to me to be a defensible option - better than trying to get it in a cup game or against a team we need to beat?

But hey ho, I was shite at Football Manager so what do I know ;D