Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Stama got 25' a week ago. He started today and got to 44' before getting injured. Can anyone definitively say he wasn't getting hook at half time anyway?

Genuine question, if he'd been introduced at half time and got injured in the 89th minute, would as many be upset with Ketts as they are?

Edited by Vietnam91

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

You really think he does all the medical, prehab, strength, fitness and rehab stuff himself? Lol.

He chose to play Stamatelopolous today despite his lack of fitness. Clearly his fault today. 

You’re correct regarding most others however Callachan and Stamatelopolous are clearly Kettlewells fault. 

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

Stama got 25' a week ago. He started today and got to 44' before getting injured. Can anyone definitively say he wasn't getting hook at half time anyway?

Genuine question, if he'd been introduced at half time and got injured in the 89' would many be as upset with Ketts?

A lack of knowledge rarely stops a lot of folk on here announcing things as fact.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

A lack of knowledge rarely stops a lot of folk on here announcing things as fact.

He said last week he wasn’t fit.

Whats hard to understand about that? Better squad management would’ve prevented this injury. 

You can never say would when it comes to injuries but I don’t think anyone would argue that better load and squad management could have and would likely have stopped a player who hasn’t had any build up to the intensity of first team football in about 5 months pulling up in the first 45 of a game with what sounds like a muscular injury that sounds like it was exacerbated by trying to run it off. 

1 minute ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

He said last week he wasn’t fit.

Whats hard to understand about that? Better squad management would’ve prevented this injury. 

Players have been eased back to full match fitness with little bits of games for as long as I can remember, I don't see what's hard to understand about that either.

What I find incredibly hard to believe, given all the data available to clubs these days, is that SK didn't have a conversation - several in fact - with the experts during the week. We're obviously speculating from the outside but which scenario (others no doubt also available!) do you think is more likely?

1) SK looks at him jogging around training and says f**k it, I'll throw him in and see what happens.

2) SK goes to the data health guys and asks do you think I can safely give him a bit longer than last week to his benefit as part of his build-up regime?

3) SK is told by the medical guys not to use him and ignores this advice.

Now it's obviously best guess stuff next but given SK's public comments about 'minutes', the obvious need to protect an expensive asset and all we know about the data obsession in modern football, to me option 2 seems by far the most probable.

9 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

You can never say would when it comes to injuries but I don’t think anyone would argue that better load and squad management could have and would likely have stopped a player who hasn’t had any build up to the intensity of first team football in about 5 months pulling up in the first 45 of a game with what sounds like a muscular injury that sounds like it was exacerbated by trying to run it off. 

Excellent nuance 

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting Apostolos shouldn't be getting game time to build him up to match fitness, but I found it strange to chuck him in from the start in a high-tempo game where we'd be chasing a lot. 

One of the areas we actually have fit players is up top, so I found it a bit peculiar that a game that we were heavily underdogs in was deemed the time to get a guy up to speed with the league, in the type of challenge we face a handful of times a season. It looks like it's backfired. Now, maybe Apostolos comes on last 10 and the same thing happens, we'll never know. But starting someone we've spent a bit of cash on, while publicly stating he'll take some time to get up to speed seemed a bit bizarre, given we had Robinson and Moses as options, who have both had full pre-seasons. I don't think that's a good look when you're constantly talking about easing folk in and not taking risks. 

Kettlewell and the backroom team, including fitness and conditioning, need to take the heat on this. It's not just Apostolos, this is happening far too frequently to just be bad luck. I don't think that's unfair. 

2 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

If you can’t see how this injury is on Kettlewell and his backroom team then you are a complete idiot.

Personally, it's blaming Kettlewell alone (and with no evidence) that annoys me.  'Sharing the love' across him and the rest of the backroom feels a bit more proportionate, if there's blame to apportion.

However, if he hadn't played him this week, you can't guarantee he wouldn't have blown up the next game.  A few more training sessions might help prevent that, but -shrug- who knows?  Unless you're a sports physio we're all guessing here.    He's still gotta play at some time.   

If he'd been sat on the bench gaining very few minutes it wouldn't take long for mob to assemble, blaming Ketts for spending so much on someone who never plays.
(I'd probably be in there!)

1 minute ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Famously Apostolos picks the team. 

Robinson would’ve been more than sufficient for 65 minutes today. 

You are reacting to events, if he had got through to half time and got subbed off there would be no discussion.

2 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Famously Apostolos picks the team. 

Robinson would’ve been more than sufficient for 65 minutes today. 

See TBF, he did go down 5 mins or so prior to being subbed off, he could have easily put his hand and said he was f**ked, he chose to stay on.