Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Never like to predict our games but would be nice to get a few goals and a clean sheet.

Is Moult likely to play or is that him away for surgery now? No disrespect to East Stirling but would be a good game for the likes of Blyth to get himself a couple of goals.

Yeah we should win comfortably but Motherwell usually like doing it the hard way.   McDonald likely to be leading the front line tomorrow as Moult is going for the surgery tomorrow and I think Blyth has wee knock he has been struggling with but could play if we really needed him tomorrow night.

We're apparently trying to sign another midfielder Craig Clay on a similar short term deal to Lucas, with a view to having a look at him over the next couple of games.

As much as Lucas looked fairly neat and tidy on Saturday before he went off injured, certainly looked like a Swansea midfielder with his one and two touch passing and recycling of possession, you'd have to question the logic of a club in our delicate financial position handing out a contract to a 24 year old that's only managed to play 6 games of senior football in his career. Unless it was heavily appearance based. 

So in that respect I'm glad we're looking at alternatives, for me Lucas looks like far too much of a gamble as the guy appears to be made of glass. 

Worth pointing out that Clay has been at the club since last week, so it's not as if we've just got on the phone this morning like we're a man short for 5s. He played with Tait at Grimsby, in honesty he looked much more like an all round midfielder and a box to box player in the Pearson mould, certainly moreso than Lucas who as Casagolda points out looks to very much fit the bill of a deep lying playmaker.

In Lucas' defence it's been serious injuries that have kept him out rather than your run of the mill knocks and strains. He missed a year with a fractured back and the best part of 2 years with a ruptured anterior ligament in his knee. It says a lot about him I suppose that he's been able to come back from both. Also I think he's got a fair few games for Swansea's u21s under his belt since he recovered from his knee injury and he was regularly completing 90 mins for the Wales u21 side when he was captaining them. Having had a quick check it seems he returned to Swansea's u21s in February this year after 19 months out with the knee injury.

Lucas has been on trial with us since the start of the month which to me suggests we're seriously looking at him, it seems a long time for a player to commit in the "hope of winning a deal" to use that cliché. As I posted over on Steelmen I wonder if it's more likely the case that the trial is fitness based and whether it's the case that we've provisionally agreed a deal with him subject to his knee not falling apart.

If you look at the timeline McGhee was on record as saying after Pearson left that we were light in midfield and looking at 2-3 midfielders but that we wouldn't panic. We then brought in McHugh and Lucas arrived on trial, at which point the official line changed to McGhee saying we'd spent our budget and he'd be working with what he has. In hindsight it may well be the case that he was including Lucas in that.

I guess as far as the logic of a deal goes when it comes down to it we'd be trading off the injury risk against the potential that we're getting a better player for the money we're offering as a result of that risk. We'd be offering a player viewed as having potential a platform to get that first team experience he's missed and get back in the game. For all the Wales international aspect brings back horrible memories of Jake Taylor, Lucas came through their Academy as player of the year and Swansea saw enough potential in him to offer a 3 year deal through a period they've been at Premier League level.

A year deal with realistic basic and bonuses and an option in favour of the club would seem worth a punt. Even more so if we were actually in a position to bring Clay in as well. It depends on just how reliant we'd be on Lucas I suppose.

Makes a fair bit of sense tbh. He's doing his badges, there was a lot of chat at the end of last season about wanting to cultivate a boot-room mentality in terms of the infrastructure at the club. The fact that he's registered as a player means that there's cover there without us necessarily "wasting" a wage on a striker sat on the bench and we're not totally reliant on Mackin as 4th choice striker.

In honesty, short of Gordon Young who got his jotters at United I'd struggle to think of an obvious candidate for the job anyway.

When I read the club tweet, my first reaction was to laugh - but it is a decent idea I think and I hope it works (and I love Faddy obviously). It got me thinking of the "pecking order" at Fir Park as I had initially thought that either Craigan (who probably doesn't want it) or Lasley would have been the logical choices if we promoting "from within". Las has done his coaching badges and is the U20's asst. and you would have thought it would have been an attractive move at his age and would have allowed a seamless move from playing to mgmt (and allowed him to be a back up player next season if needed)..

Lucas has signed a short term deal (2 weeks apparently) so yes, we've signed him but only to allow him to play in these cup games as you can't play trialists in official matches. Seem to be doing the same with Craig Clay as well.

On the point of Faddy, I wonder if him taking the assistant wage frees up playing budget given he's had an offer on the table since May. It could explain how/why we're able to take a look at Clay as well as Lucas now.

5 hours ago, Swello said:

It got me thinking of the "pecking order" at Fir Park as I had initially thought that either Craigan (who probably doesn't want it) or Lasley would have been the logical choices if we promoting "from within". 

Craigan is probably happy to combine his youth coaching & football punditry. He doesn't come across as the type of guy who will do anything without giving it lots of consideration.

McFadden, well who knows, it seems like a bit of a gamble, but with McGhee to learn from it would work.

Edited by s_dog

8 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Craigan is probably happy to combine his youth coaching & football punditry. He doesn't come across as the type of guy who will do anything without giving it lots of consideration.

McFadden, well who knows, it seems like a bit of a gamble, but with McGhee to learn from it would work.

Other than him being desperate to get away from Sutton I really can't see why Craigan would want to give up his BT gig.

As it stands he's got his involvement in coaching via the MFC u20s and Northern Ireland u19s combined with his pundit work with BT. Seems like the best of both worlds to me. No real results based pressure on the coaching side of things and a comfortable role on the telly. He'd have to be mental to wilfully disrupt that IMO.

If Faddy's going to be involved at the club and the club are clearly keen for him to be, then it makes a lot more sense for him to be part of the coaching/management team rather than a player as we need to accept that his best days as a player are now well behind him so I think this is a much more sensible move than simply signing him as a first team player. 

I've no idea how it will pan out, but best of luck to him and I sincerely hope that this works out well for him. I reckon that providing we avoid a disastrous season or however long, then McFadden will be a shoe in for the managers job if/when McGhee leaves.

I think your on to something there MJC in regard when McGhee goes then McFadden may then get the chance to step up. As his contract is only till the end of the season it does no harm seeing how this partnership works out and if we do well then we can continue it if not then we can make a change and look outside the club.

I am quite pleased that we will finally have a member of the coaching staff now available during international breaks and that will be interesting for Faddy handling training on his own with maybe slight assistance by the goalie coach.

I think your on to something there MJC in regard when McGhee goes then McFadden may then get the chance to step up. As his contract is only till the end of the season it does no harm seeing how this partnership works out and if we do well then we can continue it if not then we can make a change and look outside the club.

I am quite pleased that we will finally have a member of the coaching staff now available during international breaks and that will be interesting for Faddy handling training on his own with maybe slight assistance by the goalie coach.

At least there's someone there though. Previously McGhee and Robinson were both away during the breaks.

Add Craigan to that list as well. Was he not away with the Northern Ireland u19s too?

Aye I'd assume so. So we'd likely have had training run by the keeper coach & the head physio. With the odd bit of input from McManus, Lasley etc.

I think the McFadden appointment is low risk in terms of finance and expectation. I also love the guy.

Related: Have we all seen who Robinson has appointed as an assistant?

IMG_1470042965.822250.thumb.jpg.3f0ea8fd

:lol: