Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As far as the financing of our trolley dash goes per @RandomGuy.'s Summer Transfers thread 

If this is a subtle reminder that I need to update it then thank you, as I genuinely forget. But also, f**k you.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

If this is a subtle reminder that I need to update it then thank you, as I genuinely forget. But also, f**k you.

It's actually not. You can stand down. :)

I was using your thread as the helpful resource that it is but was also keeping myself right in terms of who we'd actually brought in.

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, our hand has clearly been forced given the number of injuries however if you look at it in a purely numbers sense, the general consensus is that a squad of around 24 first team players is optimal.

We currently have 27 albeit that includes Ferrie who is likely to be loaned out. So from that POV we'd be 2 bodies over what would be considered ideal. However you can't really ignore the fact that 7 of those 27 are long term injuries.

As far as the financing of our trolley dash goes per @RandomGuy.'s Summer Transfers thread we've moved 10 players out and brought in 13 (that doesn't include Nicholson who was here last season - Watt and Maswanhise haven't been added to our incomings on the thread as far as I can see).

I suppose what I'm getting at is that although there's been what feels like massive amounts of churn (so far) we've only brought in 3 more than have moved on - which, I dunno, doesn't feel like it'll be burning much of the Bair money (although we'll clearly be using some of it). 

We have got rid of 5 useful players and 5 that did f**k all last season. Kelly, Bair, Spittal, Mugabi, Butcher. Those are really the only OUTS.

Maybe you can include the corpse of Obika too, but then he is still here just in a different capacity.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, our hand has clearly been forced given the number of injuries however if you look at it in a purely numbers sense, the general consensus is that a squad of around 24 first team players is optimal.

We currently have 27 albeit that includes Ferrie who is likely to be loaned out. So from that POV we'd be 2 bodies over what would be considered ideal. However you can't really ignore the fact that 7 of those 27 are long term injuries.

As far as the financing of our trolley dash goes per @RandomGuy.'s Summer Transfers thread we've moved 10 players out and brought in 13 (that doesn't include Nicholson who was here last season - Watt and Maswanhise haven't been added to our incomings on the thread as far as I can see).

I suppose what I'm getting at is that although there's been what feels like massive amounts of churn (so far) we've only brought in 3 more than have moved on - which, I dunno, doesn't feel like it'll be burning much of the Bair money (although we'll clearly be using some of it). 

This is the realism I need in life 😂.  It just feels like an extreme number of players coming in, but you’re right with the injuries what option do we have. I guess it just feels a wee bit scattergun to me.

25 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

This is the realism I need in life 😂.  It just feels like an extreme number of players coming in, but you’re right with the injuries what option do we have. I guess it just feels a wee bit scattergun to me.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think we're well past the point of having any sort of plan but as I said earlier the actual numbers aren't that far off what we saw in Robinson's first season where he absolutely cleared the decks and signed virtually an entire squad.

Screenshot2024-08-22at10_18_49.thumb.png.7d022540aee272927521b6cc9c770bd7.png

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think we're well past the point of having any sort of plan but as I said earlier the actual numbers aren't that far off what we saw in Robinson's first season where he absolutely cleared the decks and signed virtually an entire squad.

Screenshot2024-08-22at10_18_49.thumb.png.7d022540aee272927521b6cc9c770bd7.png

To a certain degree a club of our stature will always be susceptible to this but in our case there’s a serious whiff of not learning from mistakes.

Most of us, myself included, would just like to see an entertaining team out on the pitch. However, a feeling that things weren’t being ripped up and started again, then re-started once again in the same season, would go some way to suggesting a forward motion as a club.  

2 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I’m  strangely all for it - please sign me up for our “ Charge of the light Brigade” tactics for the new season .

Only if we get the bugle blast back on the tannoy when we win a corner! 

1 hour ago, Ceiling Granny said:

What is Kettlewell supposed to do when so many players are injured? He'd be getting slagged off by some if he wasn't trying to replace people 

2 hours ago, Ceiling Granny said:

I’d take Vale back, but the squad is getting bloated.  I don’t know the ins and outs of signings/loans/agent fees etc etc but I’m not as far as I’d like to be from panic mode that the Bair money will be gone and we’ll have 16 jobbers/injured players in his place. 

I'd be hugely surprised if the Bair money ends up gone given that Kettlewell must have had a transfer budget to start with. 

Yeah the squad might be a bit bloated just now but there's 8 players out injured. I think jobbers is a bit harsh - particularly given how many people were against Bair to begin with. People need to be given a chance surely. 

38 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Good shout - I’d go further and have the bugle blast every time we cross the halfway line with the strapline “Operation Certain Death” displayed on the scoreboard .

I doubt a couple of loans are going to eat into the Theo bair money significantly.

We've got a bunch of injuries that run past the transfer window, so brining in some folk to cover that is prudent. We can right size in January if needed. 

I would have expected one of those signings to be an actual midfielder though.

There's also a good chance that Ross, Wells, Ferrie and a couple of others go out on loan soon, and if we did send one of the new signings out on loan until January, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing,  particularly if they're on a longer contract and need to adapt to the scottish game.

Still, looking forward to folk pishing their pants at the lineup v hearts like the squad situation has improved any since Sunday.

So, when will his return be exactly? The nature of such injuries makes it impossible to say precisely, but Slattery has circled a few dates in the fixture schedule.

“I'm aiming to be back [in full training] the middle of November, so end of November, early December,” he said.

“I've had a look at the December schedule and it's pretty packed, so I'm hoping that in and around that time I'll be up to full speed, and I’ll have had lots of sessions under my belt and maybe some reserve games and stuff like that, just to get back into what it's like playing a game.

“Then maybe by that December schedule or end of November schedule I'll be raring to go and play a big part."

Callum Slattery saying in Graeme McGarry's newsletter that he's expecting to be back for late November/ early December 

11 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Could barely hear the tannoy in the Main Stand on Sunday - not sure if Speedie sabotaged it when hanging up his mic.

I don't think the Theo Bair money was a lump sum?. I don't think that was ever clarified, was it?. The modern system seems to be pay in instalments. So I don't think SK will be squandering what he doesn't have. Could this be money from the WS?.

Edited by Well Well