Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 20/06/2024 at 15:56, ropy said:

I am all in on Wilson breaking through this season, he is a fit and robust looking lad, our on loan wing backs have been youngsters, hopefully one of our own can be a success.

Still all in on this.  I think he has done really well and has the trust of the manager to play in a couple of positions. Unlikely that he will take on even an emergency centre back role given the numbers we have there but I suspect he could ‘do a job’ if required.

7 minutes ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

Yes, you do speak nonsense. Presume you're not a supporter, just a moaner. Did we miss them today, 100% not, so as I said either support the team or don't. Next thing they'll be back with their footballs nothing without fans Tifo. Sorry lads, didn't miss you today and the atmosphere was terrific. 

Getting really boring now, away and attention seek elsewhere.

Missed that today, but delighted to read how comprehensive a performance we put in. All the chat of Halliday playing well though has me marginally concerned that there’s been some sort of collective hysteria at us playing well, but I’m looking forward to disproving this theory with my own eyes. 

I’ve never really had a problem with Halliday tbh. He’s had more good performances than bad ones for me. Today was up there with his performance in the Ross County mauling at home, just against better opposition. He doesn’t have the legs that he used to but is still able to put in an all action performance like today, on occasion. 

Just now, Londonwell said:

I’ve never really had a problem with Halliday tbh. He’s had more good performances than bad ones for me. Today was up there with his performance in the Ross County mauling at home, just against better opposition. He doesn’t have the legs that he used to but is still able to put in an all action performance like today, on occasion. 

Fair enough. I’ve been unable to take to him at all.  Don’t think enough of what he tries comes off, and have felt his decision making has been slow - which is different from his overall play slowing down. All about opinions though 

2 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Fair enough. I’ve been unable to take to him at all.  Don’t think enough of what he tries comes off, and have felt his decision making has been slow - which is different from his overall play slowing down. All about opinions though 

Aye my pals share the slow decision making critique. Its probably true but the good outweighs the bad for me. Can see that he’s been a decent player throughout his career, albeit coming towards the end of it now.  

18 minutes ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

Yes, you do speak nonsense. Presume you're not a supporter, just a moaner. Did we miss them today, 100% not, so as I said either support the team or don't. Next thing they'll be back with their footballs nothing without fans Tifo. Sorry lads, didn't miss you today and the atmosphere was terrific. 

Tbh and with respect, I think you're well wide of the mark here.

Yes, they can obviously be wee fannies at times (all ultras/young teams are), and yes they can often overstep the mark, but there's no denying they bring an energy and noise to the stadium that was lacking in their absence for the first part of the match today, even with the team performing well on the front foot. There is obviously work to be done and compromises to be made on both sides to get to a stage where the club and the group are both happy,  and if there are some who need banned or excluded fair enough, but it is undeniable that the atmosphere is diminished without them in the corner having some to and fro with the opposition support.

I'm long past that stage of my life and sit fairly sedately in the Cooper nowadays, but to say they are not missed is simply untrue, unless you're a Werther's sweetie rustler up the back of hospitality who tut's at every blasphemy.

The energy and camaraderie with their peers is what attracts a large percentage of the young ones to come to games to start with when we're so close to the uglies, if we lose that we lose a significant chunk of the next generation of fans coming through. With a small support by top tier standards, we can't afford to marginalise the new generation. 

We f**king love a win against Hearts at Fir Park - but I didn't see that coming. We played the perfect game against a team in the midst of a European tie and they simply weren't up for the battle (and the number of times we left one on them was noticeable and really enjoyable). Motherwell supporters recognise when we're on it - and the atmosphere was really positive today as a result.

Halliday deserves huge credit for putting in that sort of performance - I'd take 45 mins of that every week - as it set the tone at a critical part of the game. The renaissance of SOD is a great thing to watch - he looks much fitter and sharper and is on excellent form - he deserved his MOTM, even if I would have been tempted to give it to Wilson.

In the 5 mins before Hearts scored, we were looking a bit leggy and it was no surprise that they sliced us open during that spell - but it was short lived. Winner was most satisfying. 

Watching Spittal today was a bit sad - why would you use a guy that must have been bursting with confidence like that - he posed zero threat from a deeper position.

I'm officially upgrading the start to the season to "no' bad"

59 minutes ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

Just wondering, is your first name Colin by any chance? 

or Robert?

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Absolute nonsense.

Cannot stop laughing at us giving him a free roving role of "just be on the right hand side".

Or the left if you fancy 

I don't have an issue with the block e fans having their fun during games, or the pyro, and if they want to make signs, no problem. However, writing whiny statements because their pals got in trouble and expecting folk to care is a bit much. No one goes to the games to see them.

There's been a couple of occasions where they've come across as entitled weans, such ask asking for other fans to move to accommodate them, so maybe sitting out a few weeks to realize we're just fine without them isn't a bad idea.

2 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I don't have an issue with the block e fans having their fun during games, or the pyro, and if they want to make signs, no problem. However, writing whiny statements because their pals got in trouble and expecting folk to care is a bit much. No one goes to the games to see them.

There's been a couple of occasions where they've come across as entitled weans, such ask asking for other fans to move to accommodate them, so maybe sitting out a few weeks to realize we're just fine without them isn't a bad idea.

I don't actually think that's true, they said they thought that it would be better for them as a group but were asking for feedback and concerns from fans. 

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

I haven't either. Just seen him described elsewhere online as a whipping boy along with SOD. I don't think any of our players should be thought of like that. 

57 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Aye my pals share the slow decision making critique. Its probably true but the good outweighs the bad for me. Can see that he’s been a decent player throughout his career, albeit coming towards the end of it now.  

He's only 32. 

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

I never thought I would be celebrating a Tom Sparrow goal.  Benchwarmer I thought. But took his chance, played well last week too.

It's a funny one, in that I still have no idea what his position is (I thought he was a central midfielder?!), wears a #7, and was playing at RWB in the cup, but what a f**king finish that was.

I enjoyed the 'spontaneous' singing in the second half. I said to the wee man at the start of the game that we needed to get the first goal to silence the Hearts fans . I didn't fancy listening to their drum all game. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 18May1991 said:

Thought Wilson was fantastic today. What an engine he has and grew into the game really well.

Agreed and fair play to Kettlewell like.

I genuinely thought he was just tiding us over till Seddon was fit, especially after a ropy display against Thistle. However in a week where there’s been a lot of talk about youth development(or lack of) in Scotland, he’s stuck by Wilson and was rewarded with an excellent performance today. And he certainly wasn’t the only one.  

Maswanhise gives us a different dimension going forward. Gordon was rock solid(again). Sods popping up literally everywhere. Halliday and Davor were like men possessed. Robinson excellent with his back to goal, albeit questionable when actually facing it. Miller just oozes class. Even all the subs made an impact and played their part. 

Just one of those class days when one of the bigger spending City clubs roll into town and get absolutely battered all over the pitch. Sparrow’s goal to clinch the win at a point when we were only just about hanging on was cathartic.

Echo what others have said, most enjoyable game at Fir Park by some distance in well over a year. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

The atmosphere was absolutely pish until we scored...whatever the young lads do or don't do, they bring noise and support from the start of every game.

I hope the boycott of that section doesn't last long, and they can work with the club to rectify whatever the issue is

Considering he was a signing with minimum fanfare, I’ve been fairly encouraged so far by Sparrow in his fleeting sub appearances. Looks a decent all-round midfielder albeit without necessarily having any obvious stand-out qualities. Should hopefully be a handy squad player at least.