Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Millers too good to fester at Celtic, but you could see the thought process that a couple of years of Champions League games might be beneficial. 

2 hours ago, santheman said:

Now that brings back memories.

Jimmy Yuill still about?

aye still see Jimmy at the occasional gig,he stays up Kirkcaldy way now and goes to watch Arbroath and rovers still likes the well though

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Millers too good to fester at Celtic, but you could see the thought process that a couple of years of Champions League games might be beneficial. 

I think this season is the last one that our league winners are guaranteed Champions League group stage football, so I wouldn't bet much on Celtic being a regular fixture in the competition over the next few years if they have a couple of qualifying rounds to get through. 

Mental to think that if Miller leaves next summer he could theoretically still have 2 full seasons years in that EPL2/U21 league down south to develop, but I really hope he goes abroad. A Hickey/Ferguson type step to a  mid-sized club in a better league where he's guaranteed plenty of first team minutes would serve him best imo. 

I could be wrong but I think Turnbull is the only time an OF club has gave £3m+ to another Scottish club since Scott Brown? They obviously could afford that sort of fee but I still think Miller isn't flashy enough for them to justify forking it out to a diddy club, compared to a Brighton or someone who will view him as a project player.

29 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I could be wrong but I think Turnbull is the only time an OF club has gave £3m+ to another Scottish club since Scott Brown? They obviously could afford that sort of fee but I still think Miller isn't flashy enough for them to justify forking it out to a diddy club, compared to a Brighton or someone who will view him as a project player.

Did Greg Taylor not go for something like that?

56 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

The gaffers gaffer speaks:

It would appear from the title this may be a regular thing going forward.

I think he'll do a very good job here but someone needs to have a word with him about his continued eagerness to stick away fans up in the top tier. It's completely shite and needs stopped ASAP. 

We appear to be joining a whole host of clubs who are hellbent on driving away as many away fans as possible. Very poor. 

He explained the young fans stuff well enough, and it's good to know it's not just about peados. When it comes to the legal stuff, is he doing his job if we start getting fined by the SFA, Police Scotland, etc?

I don't really agree with the u14 stuff, but get where the club is coming from on the liability side of things.

Is the $150k to replace the seats with something the Celtic fans cant break? I'm sure no one would complain if we spent the money on that and not a new player.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I think he'll do a very good job here but someone needs to have a word with him about his continued eagerness to stick away fans up in the top tier. It's completely shite and needs stopped ASAP. 

We appear to be joining a whole host of clubs who are hellbent on driving away as many away fans as possible. Very poor. 

I wasn't there but on the highlights it looked like Hearts fans were in the bottom tier were they not?

11 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Re Lennon Miller.

We need to stop jamming him into that daft #10 role. 

We're doing nobody any favours with that.

Think it’s O’Donnell’s to lose now after the weekend.  

2 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I wasn't there but on the highlights it looked like Hearts fans were in the bottom tier were they not?

They sold the upper tier first and eventually sold the lower direct.

Happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure the last game away fans weren't shoved to the upper tier was Hibs post-split in April last season. IIRC there was some damage done to lower tier seats during that game....whether that's why they've not been selling the bottom tier as they used to IDK.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Haven't heard the interview yet but I was told the directive for the top tier came from the manager. 

8 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Yeah they were releasing blocks on the top tier and from memory they brought 2,700 so had to open the bottom, some with tickets in the top evidently didn't fancy the trek.

The bottom tier seats are used 3x more than the top as the majority of teams don't warrant it opening. Add in the greater exposure to blown rain and the Green Brigade's desire to leave it looking like the aftermath of a Britain First rally (ahh the irony) mean it's an issue.

I get why some people want a bit of room around them but sitting in a stand with no free seats nearby enhances atmosphere by quite a factor.

8 hours ago, fatcalf said:

Indeed there were some real characters back then. For anyone interested I asked Pie about the origins of the 'ZImbabwe Ooh' chant. Here's his reply....

"[19:40, 26/08/2024] Pie: Can't remember you asking - - - - - but I do recall it's origins.
Think the guys name was Jim or John, lived/worked in Dundee. Couple of years older than me I'd say, short blonde hair. 
Lge Game at Dens 79/80 ish. Only the covered terr behind the goals open - with both sets of fans in it and a small no man's land. Lots of scrammashes and we ended up getting beaten back.
I looked at Jim/John and said we need a war cry. He nodded his head and shouted Zimbabwe Ooooo and dived into the Dundee fans. I followed suit with others behind us doing same thing and the Dundee fans shit themselves.
[19:40, 26/08/2024] Pie: Not that I condone terracing violence - but it was unavoidable  back then."

Got to get that wee caveat in at the end eh? 😅

Pie will always be remembered as the guy chased down Gorgie Road by a DCHSB wielding a meat cleaver.

Still, altogether: "I went to Swinecastle on a Wednesday night..."

3 hours ago, Desp said:

My Arab mate also queried the wisdom of this for the <too lazy to find the sponsor> League Cup quarter final, and, seat damage was mentioned.....?

9 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I have often compared him to Haaland (no laughing at the back), not because of ability because his ex-pro dad had clearly been preparing him for senior football from a very young age. You could tell from the first time you saw Miller -aged 16 and hours - standing beside adult substitutes v Inverness, the support his dad had been giving him wasn't just a couple extra kickabouts in the park.

Similarly while Haaland was always going to end up at City or Real etc, they were aware taking a couple of extra steps to get there (Molde-Salzburg-Dortmund) was a better solution for him personally than going immediately to a giant as a child prodigy (like Odegaard, since we're comparing Norwegians).

Of course, as plans change when you get punched in the face, plans can change when you're offered a contract worth millions...but the Millers seem very grounded and very committed to their plan and as such doing a mckinstry is surely a total no no. I don't think he'll move till he's confident he'll be a starter at his next club, and his next club will be one willing to play and develop him over three-four years to turn a £4m player into £20m plus.

We'll see!

Whilst I agree with the sentiment (and hoping David Watson also doesn’t want to run off for any offer) it’s really hard to turn down the money if you are the player. Hard to turn down a huge pay rise when you could be a tackle away from a bad injury. Or, very unlikely with Miller as he looks class and better every time I see him, the player falls out of form.

I know it’s not that simple a decision to make just to base on purely on money but again I think once it’s put in front of you it must be hard to turn it down.

What was his dad’s career path? Was it Bristol City or a similar team he ended up signing for after initially breaking through at Falkirk and being really touted for great things? I’m old enough to remember when Lee Miller was coming through and from memory there was more hype and higher expectations for him initially than I think there has been for Lennon, although the whole “hype” landscape has changed dramatically with social media in that 18 to 20 years since Lee broke through.

Edited by Sortmeout

5 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

The gaffers gaffer speaks:

It would appear from the title this may be a regular thing going forward.

I am very interested in the thoughts of the WS Board regarding the position taken here by our CEO on various topics.  

Once again, I suspect the tail is wagging the dug.

42 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

I am very interested in the thoughts of the WS Board regarding the position taken here by our CEO on various topics.  

Once again, I suspect the tail is wagging the dug.

The mere fact that it fits nicely with the Bob narrative isn't coincidence I'd wager.