Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 04/09/2024 at 11:48, Vietnam91 said:

Just seen this, for anyone without jobs who don’t mind starting at 8pm and next thing they know the sun is rising.

Cheers - and for anyone interested, I can confirm this also includes the Mac version, even though it only says "PC" in your screenshot.

Nice write up on the impact of Gordon by McGarry in his Thursday mail out.

It's all very early days and "might be the best pound for pound signing of the summer in the Premiership" is a bold shout but the comp with Mugabi is interesting because, as others have mentioned, while he's essentially taken Bevis' place in the starting XI he feels a lot closer to being the Butcher replacement that we actually needed.

It's very much a post-window slamming shut/1st international break conversation but it's surprising the extent to which our summer business perhaps hasn't quite been the 1:1 approach that many (me included) might have expected.

Especially as for the moment it looks like it's Oxborough and Wilson who have taken Kelly and Gent's spots.

Jack Vale, Nicholson and Halliday were clearly at the club last season so they're not replacing anyone and you wouldn't include Lamie in the below since he was a Dundee player all season but Maguire was back at the club for the second half (albeit injured) and although his bags had clearly been packed Tierney was still technically a Motherwell player this summer.

Kelly - Hegyi (loan)
Gent - Seddon
Butcher - Gordon
Devine (loan) - Kaleta (loan)
Elliot - Koutroumbis
Mugabi - Balmer
Spittal - Callachan
Shaw (loan) - Stuparević
Bair - Stamatelopolous
----------------------
Obika - Robinson
Maguire - Sparrow
Tierney - Maswanhise

Which leaves these as additional to the exits?:

• Watt (loan)
  • Tavares (loan)

Arguably, the only player we haven't *directly* replaced is Spittal although in terms of filling a shirt you'd nominally put Callachan in there but with both Maswanhise and Tavares (whether he's any use remains to be seen) they're types of players that we didn't actually have in the squad last season.

Like I said, fairly dull chat but wingers eh? Bring him home...

Edited by capt_oats

What I like about Gordon is he combines the strengths of Bevis and Butcher in one.

Bevis obviously was good in the air and Gordon obviously covers that but lacked leadership and organisation.

With Butcher whilst his leadership was good and he did keep the defence well marshalled, it was mostly winning ground tackles and very rarely winning any aerial duels which meant the pressure would still mount up. 

Gordon being great in the air, allows every ball to get sent back the other way and allows the team time to reset into a defensive shape and probably allows us to sit higher as a team. His leadership and organisation has been great aswell. Many said his distribution was eek, but so far, kept it simple and no massive errors. 

Also not having Liam Kelly behind him probably helps.

Butchers form fell off a cliff after his injury and he became a liability.

Bevis took being played consistently for 4-6 games for his xB (expected bombscares) to diminish per 90’ which he was never going to get more minutes than necessary because of his xB.

The only fear in this squad is you’re in the opposite team to Gordon in the bounce match at the end of training.

I see there’s another wee video of Davor been released. Still missing his big pal Theo but plays games with him every night 

Suspect he’s broken hearted when the filming stops.  

Hope he finds a new best pal soon before I get even more emotional. 

The midfield must be high quality then if he doesn't get a sniff. So checked the midfield:

Starters:

Josh Mulligan (21) Dundee - 45' of league duty so far this season in two games. 155' from four of five LC matches. Last season mixed bag, 2 swathes of time out the squad you'd think was injury. Hardly a guaranteed starter.

Leon King (20) Sevco - Unused from the bench apart from Sunday where he didn't make the squad. Last season 9' from the bench in three Premiership games, 5' in the cup vs Ayr. Got the full game Hearts and 76' vs Dundee post split.

Daniel Kelly (18) Milwall - Recently left Celtic B for Milwall. First half of last season was playing in the Lowland and UEFA Youth League vs Lazio, Athletico Madrid and Feyenoord. Got promoted to the first team squad in January and game time mostly in March. From early April wasn't listed in the squad bar one game where he was an unused sub. Also got 47' in two Scottish Cup ties.

Subbed on:

David Watson (19) Kilmarnock - Discussed quite a bit in the aftermath of our league cup progression. Mainstay for them last season and contributed significantly in all competitions this season.

Rob Apter (21) Blackpool - Solid season in League 2 last year and continued to be used in both league and EFL Cup for far.

Ewan Wilson (19) Motherwell - We all know how he's doing so far, no need to cite it all.

Caveat: I didn't watch it so relying on second guessing subs made and potential formation changes based on subs as to who ended up in midfield. Stats websites have Calvin Ramsay as a right winger and I've only known him as a marauding right back.

Lennon Miller (18) Motherwell - Pretty much for past two seasons used as much as possible and minutes reflect that (barring his suspension and subsequent injury for 11 games over two months (Nov to Dec). He's also got the highest monetary value on transfermarkt but don't read too much into that. Appreciate he's playing in a team above his current age category but with his game against a technically capable side, surely he had to be an asset.

Leon King is hardly setting the heather alight, accept its harder for academy kid to break through there, have no idea of his place within the team (motivator, leader, etc) but you hope his parent club's status isn't guiding selection.

By no means losing any shit about Scott Gemmell's selections at present but I'd hope Lennon gets minutes in their next game.

For me it's all about milestones in his already impressive CV, that all equates to adding to his value and desirability which in the next 12 months is key for this football club. Even at 18 he's going to be a massive hole to fill next summer. But we always seem to do it somehow, as soon as some of our many primary forwards start clicking then we'll get Theo's contribution replaced too ..... hopefully. However if Moses wants to score 20 all as a last 10' as a sub, totally all for that.

Daniel Kelly was promoted to the U21's as an 18 year old as well and started. Certainly tested among other quality youngsters last season the youth champions league and dipped his toe in the championship down south this season. I suppose it's trying to equate that with Lennon playing a pretty much a full season (if you take the 9 games from this season and plug the gap in the 11 missed through injury last) used in every game in men's football. I don't know Kelly's game and if made more sense vs Spain. King has a less exposure at club level has two years but 8 U21 caps on him. Mulligan has 12 U21 caps so there's loyalty and known products here in play too.

I suppose I'm so conditioned to every Scotland manager saying they need to be playing for their club to be considered that I'm bringing this up. Combine that with the chip that the support of all wee teams have that their best player should get a shout ahead of an OF bit part player or a cap comes after a transfer to them is a well trodden road.

6 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Less minutes for Lennon means less chance of injury 🤷‍♂️. I'm not really that bothered about him not playing I'd probably rather he didn't play if it was just the 21's tbh.

Me neither though it's also fair to say that a brilliant performance against Spain U21s would be ranked fairly highly by the various scouting departments watching him.