Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

At least one and no more than two. 

And i don't think there's any doubt the team will be more cautious than we on here would like.

One of the things I think SK has to learn as a a manager - a definite negative for now - is I don't think he gets how the perception of risk/reward changes from the league to the cup.

In the league he can happily pick 3-6-1 not to lose, be solid and everyone says it's a good basis. We forget the poor games and remember last second winners, cuffing Hearts etc.

In the cup people say 'performance doesn't matter, just get through' but this is only superficially true because we all know we're going to lose (eventually) anyway. And when you know you're going to lose, how you lose matters much more than it seems.

Essentially if we pick 2-3-5 and lose a thriller to a peer, there's perhaps annoyance but the fact we tried to win the game on our terms gets a lot of respect - which in turn protects the manager through poorer spells.

Set up with our usual 3-6-1 and lose basically a coin toss (like tonight) and the attitude tomorrow morning will very much be 'well wtf did you expect?!' and it isn't easily forgiven or forgotten.

I think this is spot on.

We dont get many chances like this to get to Hampden.

To waste one playing negatively wouldnt be easily forgiven.

Especially, as we have all seen this season already, the possibilities of a more positive approach.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

14 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

:lol: I reeaaaally don't like how much we're hyping this up.

Aye same but like @Swello on the other page for all it’s massively setting us up for an entirely predictable fall it’s been great to see the Society finding their voice and being visible in a way that they hadn’t/haven't for a long time.

I noticed some “wHeRe’S tHe iNvEStMenT?!” type discussion over on SO (which was subsequently very sensibly addressed) but what we’ve seen from the Society and volunteers in the build up has been them taking steps to do what they said they’d do (and arguably what they weren’t on Dickie’s watch).

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I wonder how many if any tweaks we’ll have to the starting line up. 

I don’t actually think there are that many tweaks needed.

The obvious change for me is swapping Vale in for Maswanhise and going with a more conventional 352/3412.

The rest of the team pretty much picks itself IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Lightly. I'm not a monster.

I can’t live with the guilt anymore so I’m just gonna come out and say it. After the discussion on here I tried this perverse toast cooling technique and I’ve got to say…I actually preferred it and now do it regularly. I even on occasion WAFFT the toast! The shame. My partner will no longer look at me but it’s definitely been worth it.

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The obvious change for me is swapping Vale in for Maswanhise and going with a more conventional 352/3412.

It's certainly an option but we've benefited a lot from some genuine attacking width up there...it's obviously a lop sided effort but symmetry can be overrated at times!

Only two of this weekend's Scottish League Cup quarter-finals will have VAR in operation, with Motherwell v Dundee United on Friday and Aberdeen v Spartans on Saturday not using the technology and saving a combined £16,000 in the process. (Mail), external

Dundee, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren will each take in £1.6m in solidarity payments due to Celtic's Champions League qualification, with Aberdeen and Dundee United receiving £1m and £650,000 going to Hearts and Livingston.

Good news Friday (from the BBC lifting stuff off the tabloids page)

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

My personal preference would be dropping Davor for Vale and moving Miller back but I think Kettlewell may go with your suggestion. 

16 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

My personal preference would be dropping Davor for Vale and moving Miller back but I think Kettlewell may go with your suggestion. 

Yeah, I'd keep the same back five, drop Miller deep in midfield alongside either Halliday or Davor and have Vale and Tavares supporting Robinson. I'm not even pretending Moses coming in here is a viable option for SK.

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

Good news Friday (from the BBC lifting stuff off the tabloids page)

Find that VAR piece somewhat interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to experience a game without it for a change but where does the £16,000 come from? Perhaps a question that's already been poured over in this forums but isn't the infrastructure for it pretty much a sunk cost? Or does it cost us £16,000 per game in the Premiership for this?

Also find it interesting that on the rare occasion that it's an option not to use it for us (and the other three clubs opting against using it), we take it.

I'm really buzzing for the game tonight and fair play to the Society for the effort they've been putting in. Even saw on twitter they were getting the word out in my old stomping grounds in Strathaven. Feel what they've done for this game is really encouraging for the direction of the Society and hope we reap the rewards with a big turnout tonight.

I’ll be more annoyed if we lose and it’s because we’re playing Miller further forward where he is less effective. At the start of the season perhaps, needs must, there’s no excuse now with all the forward options we have. He also carries zero goal threat. 

I also don’t rate Robinson at all, he never looks like he’s going to score and the rest of his game isn’t great either. I wouldn’t be starting Moses for the record, I just think Robinson isn’t going to do anything for us. Hopefully we’ll get to see the Aussie and Watt and a partnership shortly. 

Tweak those 2 issues and I think we’ve a much h better chance of getting through, 

21 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Tweak those 2 issues and I think we’ve a much h better chance of getting through, 

Not entirely sure how we can tweak Robinson, when the two options you'd prefer to see aren't available tonight and you don't want to start Moses? Vale isn't a lone striker imho and Stup isn't ready/up to speed. I think one reason Robinson hasn't looked great is he's not getting enough support when he does get the ball.

Edit: I agree that Miller isn't a natural 10, but his stats for forward/attacking passes etc. are right up there. Someone posted them earlier in the week but I can't be arsed going to find them.

Personally I'd shift Miller back deeper alongside Davor/Halliday and support Robinson with Vale and Tavares.

Edited by StAndrew7

5 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Not entirely sure how we can tweak Robinson, when the two options you'd prefer to see aren't available tonight and you don't want to start Moses? Vale isn't a lone striker imho and Stup isn't ready/up to speed.

Aye, I didn’t explain myself very well!

Miller deeper, Davor or Halliday would have to make way, and Vale supporting Robinson until others are available might be a more effective solution. 

19 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Aye, I didn’t explain myself very well!

Miller deeper, Davor or Halliday would have to make way, and Vale supporting Robinson until others are available might be a more effective solution. 

One thing I will say about Robinson; he does have a "touch of the Bair" about him.

I think with the same kind of coaching and development he got last season, he'll come good. Probably not to the extent Bair did (although if he does, great!), I do think there's got to be a bit of caution around writing Robinson off this early.

I don't think he'll be our main #9 when Stama is fit; he'll be one of the support strikers/playing wider or as part of a two with Stama, I think.

Edited by StAndrew7

1 hour ago, Londonwell said:

I can’t live with the guilt anymore so I’m just gonna come out and say it. After the discussion on here I tried this perverse toast cooling technique and I’ve got to say…I actually preferred it and now do it regularly. I even on occasion WAFFT the toast! The shame. My partner will no longer look at me but it’s definitely been worth it.

Jason Sudeikis Ted Lasso GIF by Apple TV