Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Ooft! He’s absolutely seething.

The statement started off pretty standard, but from about 25% of the way through every paragraph was more tear stained than the last. 

I believe people who know me personally both within and outwith the game will fully understand, due to my own self respect and concern on the way forward, why I will not be entering into the interview process and I now consider my position untenable. I am also sure that the remaining 29% of the shareholders of the Club will be asking who in the process is looking after their interest.

The self entitlement is off the charts. 

20 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

My eyebrows raised higher and higher as I read that, he's f**king seething 🤣

Time to hit play on another classic from this thread's greatest hits, 'We Don't Need No Head of Comms'.

I can fully understand why he's angry and/or disappointed, he played the game and lost. I can understand why he needs to type out his feelings, I can understand why he starts off sensibly, let's a little dig slip in and then, suddenly, is in full-blown 'AND ANOTHER f**kING THING' mode 

I can even understand why he sent it to the website guy, no doubt with a smirk and a decisive tap of the button.

What I don't understand is why we, as a professional organisation, didn't stop him.

Unless it was felt beneficial to make himself look like an idiot ofc. But that seems to be giving this whole process much more credit that it's due.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

I mean, he's talking about self-respect, whike producing a tear-stained rant and notably doesn't wish future stakeholders at the Club well (he specifically singles out present and former).

Was due process not just being followed for the interview etc?

If nothing else, it confirms that he never saw himself as a director that represented the WS but someone who represented himself (and bizarrely, the other 29% shareholding). Having someone on the board that represents the 29% non-WS shareholders is a perfectly sound idea BTW - but that explicitly was not his function on the BoD.

His position didn't become untenable when he got the pack - his position to any sensible person became untenable when he acted and voted directly against the interests of the WS in the summer.

I would guess that authority on official club communications might be something for the BoD to deal with based on what we've seen over the past few months from McMahon and Dickie.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Time to hit play on another classic from this thread's greatest hits, 'We Don't Need No Head of Comms'.

I can fully understand why he's angry and/or disappointed, he played the game and lost. I can understand why he needs to type out his feelings, I can understand why he starts off sensibly, let's a little dig slip in and then, suddenly, is in full-blown 'AND ANOTHER f**kING THING' mode 

I can even understand why he sent it to the website guy, with no doubt with a smirk and a decisive tap of the button.

What I don't understand is why we, as a professional organisation, didn't stop him.

Unless it was felt beneficial to make himself look like an idiot ofc. But that seems to be giving this whole process much more credit that it's due.

You summed it up perfectly

Back in the day when I was in corporate circles I learned a harsh lesson on not sending anything 'controversial' or 'emotive' until I slept on it and looked at it again next day, something I then often counselled others to do.

Carthartic to write, and sensible not to send!!

Seems Mr Dickie has not learned that lesson, and yes I believe a concious decision was made to publish in full.

Guy is obviously hurting though, but I think on reflection he'll regret writing in that way

I question how wise it is for him with his very obvious high self regard to release such a tear stained and bitter statement, and also the club's decision to publish it.

But it's glorious and I am fvcking here for it.

Why the club felt it had to air his grievance-fest is beyond me. Or maybe it was allowed to highlight what we're dealing with.

You had to go through an interview process because you undermined the body (and ergo club owner) you represented as chairman at numerous occasions including acting as a back channel to the guy Chairman Jim was trying to gift the club to.

The WS Governance workstream which I sit on you showed up unprepared and as if it was an inconvenience. The 29% thing is the angle is a recent position to try and maintain an untenable position and place on the club board.

As far as fiduciary oversight, you were part of a board that let Max Johnson go for development money only and its now quite evident, entertained five months of negotiations on the mechanics of handing the club over without getting anything tangible what would be done in the aftermath.

Let's not forget disenfranchising the support and ideals of the society. 

Welcome to the brave new world of paying for a ticket and half time without a finger buffet.

Off you f**k.

As funny as it is, it couldn't have come at a worse time for us Terrace Patreon subscribers who thought that we were in the running to be crowned the "least mental" Premiership team. 

Off the charts, that. Up there with McMahon's rants. Doesn't even mention Rambarck either, like, you've gotten yourself into this situation, pal. Take some responsibility rather than ranting about how you're being moved on because you TRIED TO F*CK US.

The 29% thing as well just reeks of him thinking he knows best and misrepresenting what his position on the board was (he is, as far as I'm aware, a holder of a fair chunk of that 29%). Trying to re-paint it as his role being to represent "us" on the board when he was there as a Society representative is total nonsense. Like, as a both a private shareholder and WS member I trust those at the Club, both directors and employees to act in its best interests.

I don't expect one person to advocate specifically for that one group; all shareholders are shareholders and are to be considered equally, no matter the terms of their holding. And the 29% isn't a "block" like the Society; it's a group of individuals who are perfectly capable of representing themselves.

Off you go.

Edited by StAndrew7

Has all the hallmarks of a spoilt little rich kid, given everything by Daddy, throwing a strop because he's being asked to earn something instead of it being handed to him on a plate.

An embarrassing statement. Truly pathetic. Both Douglas Dickie & Jim McMahon have put in decades of work into Motherwell FC and that's something that should be celebrated.  Instead, the statements attributed to them upon their departures shows everyone exactly who they are.

The Champions of Fan Ownership, eh?  Just not that type of Fan Ownership though.  It was far better when all the 'businessmen' could sort it all behind closed doors.

4 minutes ago, Randolphtops said:

Seems Mr Dickie has not learned that lesson, and yes I believe a concious decision was made to publish in full.

Correct, there is no way that didn't cross Caldwell's desk before it went live ..... and he gave it a thumbs up, all delicious stuff.

..... Brian knocks it out the park.

41 minutes ago, Randolphtops said:

Back in the day when I was in corporate circles I learned a harsh lesson on not sending anything 'controversial' or 'emotive' until I slept on it and looked at it again next day, something I then often counselled others to do.

Carthartic to write, and sensible not to send!!

Seems Mr Dickie has not learned that lesson

Maybe he has - in which case, I would f**king LOVE to see what Monday's first draft looked like! 🤣

If he'd continued revising and summarising until Friday it could just have read, "I'm a c**t, toodle pipski."