Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

One of the things this season is that we do seem to have a squad built with the good depth in defence. 

Last season a debate about our defence would likely have debating if a broken Butcher was a better or worse choice than an error-prone Mugabi and how we avoid Spittal ever playing wing-back again. This season it's nice to be debating the merits of their strengths and not their weaknesses. 

When we signed Balmer, I thought that was our centre back but then Gordon followed.

I think for now I would have it as the jersey is the three who have it's to lose.

I definitely think Balmer is the more long-term solution than Casey, who is still prone to the odd brain-fart/poor pass/chaotic positioning at the back. We're never going to have the perfect ball-playing and carrying centre back playing for us, but it's nice to have two that offer that capability in some shape or form.

As @crazylegsjoe and others have said, it's nice to be discussing the depth/merits we have in the squad and who fits best, rather than who's the least-worst. It's up to those on the bench/rest of the squad to dislodge those starting in front of them.

I will say that Kettlewell isn't well known for dropping his regulars once he's settled on his starting team. It'll be interesting to see if Balmer ends up back on the bench with Casey back from his suspension for the Dundee game; that'll give an indicator as to who Kettlewell prefers, at least.

Casey's out of contract in the summer, as is Blaney; I imagine we'll retain one of them, rather than both. If McGinn has another stellar season I can see his option being triggered, although he might see his playing time reduce as he'll be 34 later this month.

Only note of caution is that for all his decent pedigree and the throw - we've seen practically nothing of Balmer in a Motherwell shirt yet. He's dropped into a team playing reasonably well and with a bit of confidence (and a lot of competition for places). Casey has played through periods where we've been shite, where Kelly was chucking them in and where he had no competition for his place to speak of.

Much in the same way that Stam is inevitably going to become our first choice striker, I do think Balmer was signed (and is being paid) as a first choice defender - but I'm still a bit wary of assuming that he's instantly better than Casey in our team on the strength of 1 appearance.

10 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Casey's out of contract in the summer, as is Blaney; I imagine we'll retain one of them, rather than both. If McGinn has another stellar season I can see his option being triggered, although he might see his playing time reduce as he'll be 34 later this month.

Prescient…

Ignoring loans and options, which obviously complicate matters, I think ooc are:

Ox, Connolly, Casey, Blaney, Wilson, Davor, Halliday, Paton, Maswanhise, Ebiye, Ross.

Which is very few by recent standards.

You wouldn't say any are 100% on the bin list but I can't imagine us retaining all three midfielders...Ox and Wilson the obvious priorities.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

Casey is a weird one in that last summer, by all accounts, he was trying to find a bigger club before coming back with his tail between his legs and having a bit of an up and down season last year. I can't imagine him hanging about next season if he's not been a regular starter this season.

Blaney, for me, has never really looked anything above "decent" for a sustained period of time. I can't see him breaking into the team next season and at his age, you would think he'd want to be playing first team football next season.

38 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Casey is a weird one in that last summer, by all accounts, he was trying to find a bigger club before coming back with his tail between his legs and having a bit of an up and down season last year. I can't imagine him hanging about next season if he's not been a regular starter this season.

Blaney, for me, has never really looked anything above "decent" for a sustained period of time. I can't see him breaking into the team next season and at his age, you would think he'd want to be playing first team football next season.

Aye, Blaney has been fine but is limited and seems the obvious candidate to free.

I think Casey on a good day is a brilliant defender in our league but his lack of ability on the ball (occasional outrageous shots excepted) means he has a low rather than high ceiling. Which is not to say some jobbers in English League Two won't offer him more than us or Hibs/Dundee United pinch him but if he was shopping himself around, I'm not massively surprised there were no takers and think a renewal - given he clearly fits in with us - quite probable, even if unlikely to be immediate.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Aye, Blaney has been fine but is limited and seems the obvious candidate to free.

I think Casey on a good day is a brilliant defender in our league but his lack of ability on the ball (occasional outrageous shots excepted) means he has a low rather than high ceiling. Which is not to say some jobbers in English League Two won't offer him more than us or Hibs/Dundee United pinch him but if he was shopping himself around, I'm not massively surprised there were no takers and think a renewal - given he clearly fits in with us - quite probable, even if unlikely to be immediate.

Yeah, I think Casey himself overestimated who would want him on the back of three months playing for a bottom six Scottish Premiership side. What I mean by him not hanging about is rather than having a plethora of other options, if he ends the season having played second fiddle to Balmer, he won't want to do that all over again.

9 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Two year extension. A 26 year old keeper is like a 22 year old outfielder too. More good business but that Bair money is fair being waxed.

Aye and a club option to 2028. Outstanding business.

I'm absolutely fine with spending a fortune on our keeper, you can just search previous Brian Clough comments I've made 🙂

I listened to the most recent Open Goal episode to hear about Halliday's goal Vs Hibs and I did find it really interesting to hear him essentially raving about Oxborough and say how reassuring it was to have a keeper that would collect everything in the air. 

Edited by camer0n_mcd

19 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Two year extension. A 26 year old keeper is like a 22 year old outfielder too. More good business but that Bair money is fair being waxed.

Potentially not. We still have other revenue streams as you know, cup semi final, our champions league money next year and the £25m we are due for Miller so don’t sweat if. 

10 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Potentially not. We still have other revenue streams as you know, cup semi final, our champions league money next year and the £25m we are due for Miller so don’t sweat if. 

We're also no longer paying a hefty wage to that pitiful pencil neck geek Liam Kelly. 

28 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

I listened to the most recent Open Goal episode to hear about Halliday's goal Vs Hibs and I did find it really interesting to hear him essentially raving about Oxborough and say how reassuring it was to have a keeper that would collect everything in the air. 

That's a delightful two fingers to Liam "Scotland Cap" Kelly. 😁