Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Away from the ticket scramble, saw this

Incredible performance from Liam Kelly last season, truly must have broken records with some of his stats.

Was there not a stats table last season that showed Kelly had managed to be ranked 13th, in a league that only has 12 teams in it? (I think it was Dundee who had 2 keepers with better stats)

18 minutes ago, Al B said:

Was there not a stats table last season that showed Kelly had managed to be ranked 13th, in a league that only has 12 teams in it? (I think it was Dundee who had 2 keepers with better stats)

He ended up finishing 14th, Hibs and Dundee had two keepers above him. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If we have sold or do sell 9,000 tickets it'll be a brilliant effort but I'll eat my metaphorical hat if we hit 14,000 - I don't think we've ever been anywhere near that for a semi.

There's clearly a wee buzz atm - history says it won't last but let's hope the club (and Society) can strike in various ways when the iron isn't as cold as usual!

Happy to ride the wave of positivity for as long as it lasts.

Really pleased for the WS Board and hope they are able to capitalise on the way things are going.

It could be quite a defining year for the club.

New Executive Board, refreshed Society Board, healthy bank balance, young academy talent coming through, crowds up, performance levels up.

Now wheres that inward investment and our Netflix series! 😆😆😆

That's the first it's occured to me that we will know who is waiting on the final when we play, rather stupidly 😆

It's probably tempering my excitement for it that I think the chances of there being a double-upset in the same weekend or Celtic losing a final are very slim. Of course, the most excruciating scenario is an Aberdeen win before we get put out.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That's the first it's occured to me that we will know who is waiting on the final when we play, rather stupidly 😆

It's probably tempering my excitement for it that I think the chances of there being a double-upset in the same weekend or Celtic losing a final are very slim. Of course, the most excruciating scenario is an Aberdeen win before we get put out.

I said on here I was pretty meh before and soon after the quarter because I felt there was no way we were going to survive three marginal knockout ties (including Thistle) then beat two of the OF and Aberdeen at Hampden. Even IF we win and IF Aberdeen win we would STILL be huge outsiders in the final.

On the record that's still my position, it's perfectly logical. But I dunno, there's something about this team that just makes you wonder... Rangers are favourites of course but the path to an upset there hardly requires great imagination. 

And if that happens, f**k it, I'll have one day of logic and get rid of all the negativity and then go all in on us winning the thing because why not...we were massive outsiders in 1950. We have enough times we have serious worries, if you can't embrace the good times then why even bother? It's often forgotten when people review the '78 World Cup, among the eventual embarrassment and frustration, it was damn fun while it lasted...

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's only finals that bring out the real hangers-on of family and friends going for the novelty and spark dashes to airline websites for those living much further afield.

1./ are you coming back for the semi?

2./ have you priced the flights for the final?

I was living in LA in 2005 and that was costly.

4 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

1./ are you coming back for the semi?

2./ have you priced the flights for the final?

I was living in LA in 2005 and that was costly.

1) No. Relatively short-notice is annoyingly tricky the more 'responsibilities' I supposedly have. I'd have been tempted for the Saturday, the Sunday was basically a no go.

2) Only an idiot would tempt fate by doing that in advance. Yes, though not in detail, just confirming there's options within the realm of the possible.

Back from LA must have hurt...Ryanair and easyJet both fly from here though so I've never had anything too outrageous yet thankfully. 

I've priced up the flights and ready to book as soon as the final whistle goes. I was coming back anyway, so just bringing it forward a month.

The semi final is on my birthday, so we've as good as won it. I don't believe we have ever lost a semi final against Rangers on my birthday.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Folk say that we've been unlucky to only draw the OF in cup finals since 91 but at least I've basically been over it before I'm out of the ground. If we lost a final to Aberdeen (or St Johnstone, or Livi...) I'd be raging for millenia.

Ach, in much the same fans renege on being happy for ever if they win a cup, you'd forget it and plug on...St Mirren lost to nine (!) men but lifted the trophy a few years later, Killie and Hibs lost 5-1 and recovered etc.

If we lost a final to a shit Aberdeen (or Hearts, or anyone), it'd be different but this Aberdeen are visibly, clearly, simply better than us. I never see the point crying over losing like that and a final would make it no different.

4 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Away from the ticket scramble, saw this

Incredible performance from Liam Kelly last season, truly must have broken records with some of his stats.

Did they intentionally choose pictures with the Ox looking all steely eyed and confident and Liam Kelly looking like he's about to greet?

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

1) No. Relatively short-notice is annoyingly tricky the more 'responsibilities' I supposedly have. I'd have been tempted for the Saturday, the Sunday was basically a no go.

2) Only an idiot would tempt fate by doing that in advance. Yes, though not in detail, just confirming there's options within the realm of the possible.

Back from LA must have hurt...Ryanair and easyJet both fly from here though so I've never had anything too outrageous yet thankfully. 

I luckily already had a trip back home from Toronto booked, did not expect us to get to the Semi Final when I booked it! Just got my ticket! 

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Folk say that we've been unlucky to only draw the OF in cup finals since 91 but at least I've basically been over it before I'm out of the ground. If we lost a final to Aberdeen (or St Johnstone, or Livi...) I'd be raging for millenia.

This. 

Would I also be right in saying that any semi finals we've played against non-Of sides since '91, we've won them all? 

No idea if I've made that up but I can't think of us playing another provincial side in a semi final and losing.

I also can't remember off the top of my head how many semi finals we've played in that time so this might not be as impressive a (possibly made up) stat as I think. 

26 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

This. 

Would I also be right in saying that any semi finals we've played against non-Of sides since '91, we've won them all? 

No idea if I've made that up but I can't think of us playing another provincial side in a semi final and losing.

I also can't remember off the top of my head how many semi finals we've played in that time so this might not be as impressive a (possibly made up) stat as I think. 

Aye I'd be interested to know when we last lost to another diddy at Hampden? My Motherwell knowledge before the 90s is murky at best but I can't think of an obvious one.

Blagged a free first class upgrade on Air New Zealand, the purser was from Ayr and I randomly met him at the security scanner, told him I was a Virgin Atlantic pilot in training (at the time they were affiliated).

But yeah, it hurt.

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Ach, in much the same fans renege on being happy for ever if they win a cup, you'd forget it and plug on...St Mirren lost to nine (!) men but lifted the trophy a few years later, Killie and Hibs lost 5-1 and recovered etc.

If we lost a final to a shit Aberdeen (or Hearts, or anyone), it'd be different but this Aberdeen are visibly, clearly, simply better than us. I never see the point crying over losing like that and a final would make it no different.

I had this chat a few weeks ago. I thinkYe get ragin when you get beat off a team our size (St Mirren, Killie, St Johnstone. etc) The OF ye can shrug off, I think Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs would be harder to take but ultimately they should be better than us.

2 hours ago, CoF said:

Did they intentionally choose pictures with the Ox looking all steely eyed and confident and Liam Kelly looking like he's about to greet?

I’ve been thinking that too. Also that he is starting to remind me of this guy. Something something shot stopper .

IMG_5196.png

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye I'd be interested to know when we last lost to another diddy at Hampden? My Motherwell knowledge before the 90s is murky at best but I can't think of an obvious one.

We lost to Airdrie in a replay in 75, goalkeeper Rennie was penalised for taking too many steps and they scored the winner from the indirect free kick. We also lost a LC semi to St Johnstone in 1969 though I don't actually know if that was at Hampden.

Edit to add I forgot the original question, since 91 we've beaten every fellow diddy we've met in semis, Hearts 2005, St Johnstone 2011 and Aberdeen 2018.

Edited by Handsome_Devil