Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

From reading a fair few interviews with Moult following his departure, I think he'd see it as a massive failure to end up back at FP just over a year after leaving. 

Edit: Although falling behind Jayden Stockley is probably on a level with that. 

Edited by AndyRoss

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I think this illustrates perfectly how much shot-in-the-dark, hit-and-hope nonsense goes on in the january transfer window. How could any club that has even done 5 mins of diligence on ATS conclude that a guy who has hitherto been unable to string two 60 minute appearances together be the answer to any problem whatsoever. 

I've said lots of times that I don't think he's shite, just broken at present - good luck to him at Crewe....

ATS to Crewe is in line with Fisher (0 goals in 19 appearances) to Yeovil last January, Theo Robinson (0 goals in 11 appearances) in the 15/16 January window.

Basically if you're reasonably well connected then it seems you'll be able to find a taker for pretty much anyone.

Agree re: ATS you look at his CV and experience with Thistle and you can absolutely see why we took a punt on him. You could tell really early on that it just wasn't going to happen for him though.

The Newell one, if it's actually true and not a glitch, is just a case of getting him out playing football. He's clearly not going to be anywhere near the first team so he's as well getting his wage through to the end of the season and playing some games rather than just hanging about.

Curious to see if this is us just trimming the squad as routine housekeeping or if these are players we needed to "move out" before we could bring anyone else in when Robinson was talking earlier in the window (clearly we're not making any sort of a saving on Newell but it's still a body out the door).

Given we were burned on Deadline Day last season when the McCartan deal fell through it wouldn't be a massive surprise if we were holding in to, say....Sammon until we were able to get another deal "over the line".

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m not really that fussed about Lyndon Dykes since his scoring record isn’t that great.

He would have been a good one for that ‘misspelled footballers’ ms paint challenge thread from a few years ago that’s in the gold forum.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but reading that we were interested in Dykes and then watching some of his YouTube clips he reminded me a lot of Erwin.

I'm guessing the only other club Erwin would be eligible to play for this season would be Killie since he's already played for two clubs (unless the Persian Gulf Pro League runs on a different calendar and there's a loophole or something) but seeing as he was Oldham's top scorer (which isn't saying much tbf) when Robinson took him there and is very similar in style to Dykes (well, the little I've seen of Dykes) it made me wonder if we'd take a look at him.

He'd fit in to that 'target man' sort of role and also, he's another 'Academy product' which very much seems to be the 'identity' we're trying to punt at the moment.

Sign him up Robbo, Bring him home. (In the summer).

lee-erwin.png?w=600&h=335

Edited by capt_oats

You know me lads, I'm not one for making up transfer stories. 

I've heard, from a good source*, that we'll be seeing one player in and two players out today.

*Tam Scobbie's barber.

I wonder if we'll be in for the left back from Stoke who was rumoured earlier in the window now that ATS has left the building. 

This may not be a possibility anymore seeing as Stoke changed manager which may also have affected the Main to Luton rumour. 

That one managerial move just highlights how much the smaller clubs who rely on wheeling and dealing can have things quite well down the line only to have 1 or 2 deals scuppered by something outwith their control

34 minutes ago, weemac said:

I wonder if we'll be in for the left back from Stoke who was rumoured earlier in the window now that ATS has left the building. 

This may not be a possibility anymore seeing as Stoke changed manager which may also have affected the Main to Luton rumour. 

That one managerial move just highlights how much the smaller clubs who rely on wheeling and dealing can have things quite well down the line only to have 1 or 2 deals scuppered by something outwith their control

I noticed Tymon's been getting a game for Stoke's first team since the new manager came in. He was also subbed off after 43 minutes the other night with an injury (no idea how serious).

I'd have said that ATS leaving just means we're committing to going with Grimshaw at right back and settling with Tait or Livingstone at left back. Looking at where we are and the fact that Tait's consistently been our best option in there then I'd have thought we'd prioritise a forward assuming we can get shot of a couple who are already on the books either on loan or permanently.

As it stands we've Main / McCormack / Sammon / Johnson / Scott / Newell all playing for one position. Seems unrealistic to think we can bring another forward in without at least 2 (probably 3) of those moving on whether it's permanently, on loan or even a development loan for someone like Scott and do what we did with Hastie and make sure he gets games.

If you've watched the Sunderland documentary on Netflix then the episodes on Deadline day pretty much show how much of a shitshow it really is if you're  as much of a mess as Sunderland  and desperate to get bodies in. It's entirely a domino effect. Teams miss out on targets then just start turning to 3rd, 4th, 5th choices.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I noticed Tymon's been getting a game for Stoke's first team since the new manager came in. He was also subbed off after 43 minutes the other night with an injury (no idea how serious).

I'd have said that ATS leaving just means we're committing to going with Grimshaw at right back and settling with Tait or Livingstone at left back. Looking at where we are and the fact that Tait's consistently been our best option in there then I'd have thought we'd prioritise a forward assuming we can get shot of a couple who are already on the books either on loan or permanently.

As it stands we've Main / McCormack / Sammon / Johnson / Scott all playing for one position. Seems unrealistic to think we can bring another forward in without at least 2 of those moving on whether it's permanently, on loan or even a development loan for someone like Scott and do what we did with Hastie and make sure he gets games.

If you've watched the Sunderland documentary on Netflix then the episodes on Deadline day pretty much show how much of a shitshow it really is if you're  as much of a mess as Sunderland  and desperate to get bodies in. It's entirely a domino effect. Teams miss out on targets then just start turning to 3rd, 4th, 5th choices.

You would assume that if Desp is right then of the two players leaving, one of them at least will be a forward.  If its two forwards gone then I'd agree that it'll be a forward coming in. 

Robinson did say he felt he needed a forward and a left back before ATS left which suggests to me he's still not able to trust Livingstone 100% so if only one forward leaves then I'd guess a left back will come in. 

I didn't realise that tymon had been getting his game and if he's injured then that should be a non-starter. 

Basically in all this rambling I have no clue what will happen today but probably for the first transfer deadline day ever I wouldn't be massively bothered if nobody comes in and we decide to give the younger guys a prolonged chance in the team. 

2 minutes ago, weemac said:

You would assume that if Desp is right then of the two players leaving, one of them at least will be a forward.  If its two forwards gone then I'd agree that it'll be a forward coming in. 

Robinson did say he felt he needed a forward and a left back before ATS left which suggests to me he's still not able to trust Livingstone 100% so if only one forward leaves then I'd guess a left back will come in. 

I didn't realise that tymon had been getting his game and if he's injured then that should be a non-starter. 

Basically in all this rambling I have no clue what will happen today but probably for the first transfer deadline day ever I wouldn't be massively bothered if nobody comes in and we decide to give the younger guys a prolonged chance in the team. 

Well...

Farewell Fish...we barely knew ya.