Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Tragic for others. For Motherwell fans like me a good thing. 

I Honestly hope you are right 2nd time around as well. 

Q - what was the cryptic Instagram post from Hastie ?

Here you go...

I'm maybe reading too much into it but the eyeballs are usually a hint at something.

St Johnstone seem - by far - to have the easiest run-in - but they haven't been picking up points in their normal way of late, so who knows. A win at Easter Rd would be massive assuming that we can beat Accies this week..

Although if I am not mistaken 2020 is next year. 

Good news and better than him walking away, but not that much better as we will be in exactly the same position in under a years time. 

A poster on Steelmen Online is stating that the hardest part of recent negotiations with youngsters is the club rightly want longer deals, but players not so much. Right now I would take Hastie on an extension till 2020. 

Still the best youngster of all (Turnbull) is signed for a couple more years iirc. There is that. 

34 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Although if I am not mistaken 2020 is next year. 

Good news and better than him walking away, but not that much better as we will be in exactly the same position in under a years time. 

A poster on Steelmen Online is stating that the hardest part of recent negotiations with youngsters is the club rightly want longer deals, but players not so much. Right now I would take Hastie on an extension till 2020. 

Still the best youngster of all (Turnbull) is signed for a couple more years iirc. There is that. 

In honesty I think Maguire's in a tougher situation than either Hastie or Turnbull. There's plenty of potential there but where both Turnbull and Hastie are virtually guaranteed starts in their respective positions on account of their performances. Maguire, less so.

As it stands, with the best will in the world, Maguire's unlikely to start ahead of either Aldred or Dunne so from his POV extending for a year and seeing where he stands this time next season is a sensible move. He could just as easily find himself going the same way as Jack McMillan and David Ferguson as he could Shaun Hutchinson.

Also, the fact that we're rumoured to have signed Gallagher on a pre-contract and Hartley's still there means that he's far less likely to be a getting first team football than Turnbull and Hastie. 

In that respect there's absolutely f**k all point in him committing for 3 years if he's going to be parked on the bench. From the POV of the club I'd think they'd be far more comfortable extending for a year too. I'd genuinely have been surprised if we'd been chucking a long term deal in front of him.

As I say I like Maguire and it'd be good to see what he can do but in the appearances he's had he's (clearly) not cemented himself in the team in the same way Cadden, Campbell, Turnbull and Hastie have.

I'd say Livingstone is very much in the same boat too...he's already had a 6 month loan at East Fife and he's been given a few opportunities but it's clear the jury's out on him.

Edited by capt_oats

All fair and valid points Captain 

Maybe I am just frustrated that there is still no news on Hastie........the longer it goes on.....

Glad we have the derby on Saturday to take our minds of contract speculation.  For me it has seemed quite a while since I saw that last minute winner v Hearts. 

25 minutes ago, welldaft said:

All fair and valid points Captain 

Maybe I am just frustrated that there is still no news on Hastie........the longer it goes on.....

Glad we have the derby on Saturday to take our minds of contract speculation.  For me it has seemed quite a while since I saw that last minute winner v Hearts. 

On the Maguire thing again, it does make me wonder if there's been a discussion about movement or if we've offered any assurances. As from the sound of things we've said to him we want him to come back from his loan and push for the first team. You'd like to think we'd give an indication of where he fits in.

As it stands he's got Aldred, Dunne, Hartley and McHugh ahead of him (possibly swap Gallagher for Aldred if the pre-contract turns out to be legit) with Mbulu and Donnelly alongside him as players pushing for a start. Obviously it's good to have options in terms of playing a back 3 or whatever but 7 players for 2 centre half positions in a back 4 is quite a lot (acknowledging McHugh more cover at CB).

40 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Rangers close to signing Motherwell starlet Jake Hastie on pre-contract

Probably not the news you were looking for right enough.

If this turns out to be true I would not be at all surprised.  Not sure the club nor the lad himself would be happy with this news breaking. 

Whatever anyone says I think we have missed out on not taking a punt and offering him a contract earlier in the year. 

Sure no one knew the impact he would make in the 1st team, but he was doing well at Alloa and those within the club must have known he had talent. To leave it until a few months before the end of the season.....hopefully we have learned a BIG and probably rather costly lesson. 

Any other club but the old firm. Wish he was headed down south. 

If nothing else it should bring an end to the speculation of whether he will sign an extended contract or not....

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

If this turns out to be true I would not be at all surprised.  Not sure the club nor the lad himself would be happy with this news breaking. 

Whatever anyone says I think we have missed out on not taking a punt and offering him a contract earlier in the year. 

Sure no one knew the impact he would make in the 1st team, but he was doing well at Alloa and those within the club must have known he had talent. To leave it until a few months before the end of the season.....hopefully we have learned a BIG and probably rather costly lesson. 

Any other club but the old firm. Wish he was headed down south. 

If nothing else it should bring an end to the speculation of whether he will sign an extended contract or not....

Have to agree with that, it was obvious immediately at Alloa at the start of the season that Jake had terrific potential. Astonishing he wasn't on a longer deal at Motherwell. 

Edited by Waspie

20 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Come on it’s the sun, there is no quotes and a lot of If’s in the article.

Could end up being true but I will wait until a better source and article says so.

Darrell Currie of BT sport has also  tweeted about Hastie tonight as well so I reckon there might be something in it, hope not though.

I've really enjoyed the few games Hastie has had for us so far - his form along with Turnbull has turned potentially one of the most boring seasons ever into something worth going to see. If he's going to move on (and this feels like the sort of tabloid chat that makes it likely) - then it's fine. I'd love it if he hung around to prove himself, but if he doesn't, he'll (with no rancour intended) be a (good) footnote for Motherwell and nothing more. 

I think he's probably joining a club that he'll struggle to get game time given the comedy levels of expectation that exist there - but he's giving himself a chance to get a properly good move in future, so fair fucks to him.

If he does sign for them, he's still a young boy and I'd still support him until the end of the season as I'd find it difficult to get that worked up about it as he's conducted himself fine and at that age most of us would struggle to resist what's on offer.