Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Our best striker since the days of Tommy Coyne & Dougie Arnott IMO.

A goalscorer first and foremost, but also a spearhead of what was a very good attacking line of Humphrey, Ojamaa and Faddy in the second half of 2012/13.

Loved big Higgy at Fir Park.

When we realised we were losing Sutty the first time, I posted on here and S.O. that we should be doing whatever it took to bring Higgy to Fir Park. I was always a fan and was utterly delighted when we signed him. Even in the first couple of months before he hit his stride I always had a feeling it would click, and I remember writing a huge post following the cup game against Clyde about why he wasn't as poor as people seemed to think at that time, and the reason I felt I could see what was to come.

I'd say he's probably my favourite 'well player in my 23 years of regular attendance (maybe apart from The Kaiser, but I'm slightly biased cos he's my mate and we grew up together playing for the same teams and school).

Edited by Al B

Good piece of business from the club.  I hope both parties were able to agree to an acceptable release clause in the contract. 

Considering he only signed a new deal, what, nine months ago, and his value to the team has increased plenty, there has to be something in it on Cadden's side for it to be worthwhile.  

Good piece of business from the club.  I hope both parties were able to agree to an acceptable release clause in the contract. 

Considering he only signed a new deal, what, nine months ago, and his value to the team has increased plenty, there has to be something in it on Cadden's side for it to be worthwhile.  

I would imagine it's a case of signing him up so he can be sold at the end of the season. He's probably been our most consistent performer this year, and if he keeps improving he'll be a far more valuable asset than Marvin Johnson.

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

I would imagine it's a case of signing him up so he can be sold at the end of the season. He's probably been our most consistent performer this year, and if he keeps improving he'll be a far more valuable asset than Marvin Johnson.

I'd say this is probably the most likely scenario, given Moult's in the same boat with a deal expiring in 2018 it wouldn't be a surprise if there was an extension on offer for him too.

Out of curiosity have we ever really *done* release clauses in contracts? I'd have thought Cadden's wage bump (McGhee indicated that he's now on if more reflective of his status in the first team) and a verbal agreement that if an offer comes in that suits both parties we won't stand in his way would have been enough for him to extend for a year.

If he's received a considerable wage bump, then not only is it a good deal for Cadden, it's well deserved.  As others have said, he has been one of the top performers since he broke into the side. 

I hope he doesn't move on too quickly though.  No doubt he has plenty of quality, and bags of potential, but there's still a long way to go, IMO.  There's been one or two occasions where I've noticed his first instinct is to simply get the head down and run, when a quick look up and pass would provide better options.  Here's hoping he can stay at Fir Park for at least the next 18 months and improve even more.  

I'm quite enjoying the club's announcements on both tbh. It's a consistent message;

Cadden: "His rise from the Academy to first team regular epitomises the direction of travel at Motherwell and is very much our model going forward."

Agyeman: "This is another example of the pathway we have between the Academy and the full time professional teams at under 20s and first team level at Motherwell and hopefully gives further inspiration to every youth player in our system."

Maybe I've just been paying a bit more attention recently but the club seem to have been giving Jamie Semple a fair bit of coverage via their social channels too, obviously it helps that he's scoring goals for Scotland u16s in games that are being broadcast and he's kind of our "next big thing" having had visits training with Benfica, Sunderland and Southampton but I don't really recall there being as much being made of Academy players in the past.

Out of curiosity what happened to the centre half Leighton who came through the academy and was out at Benfica? The Herald has us having had a deal on the table for him back in August, he's not a player I think I've seen mentioned in any of the u20s squads though: 

"They would like me to go back. They have offered me a full time contract and are in contact with me on a regular basis. They have told me the door is open. I'm keeping my options open."  http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/14711158.Tom_Leighton__The_Scottish_youngster_who_is_already_dreaming_of_becoming_the_next_Oliver_Burke/

25 minutes ago, Desp said:

I'll see yer Cadden, and I'll raise you an Agyeman.

giphy.gif

Ghanaian born Italians are the future. I'm terribly excited.

Also, re: what Oats said: 

“Over the last year we’ve seen the likes of Ross MacLean, Allan Campbell, Jake Hastie, Jack McMillan and David Turnbull, all Academy graduates, appear in first-team squads as well as Chris Cadden cementing himself as one of the best young players in Scotland."

We're so much better at pretending our players are fantastic, now.

Edited by thisGRAEME

On 01/11/2016 at 13:10, Al B said:

When we realised we were losing Sutty the first time, I posted on here and S.O. that we should be doing whatever it took to bring Higgy to Fir Park. I was always a fan and was utterly delighted when we signed him. Even in the first couple of months before he hit his stride I always had a feeling it would click, and I remember writing a huge post following the cup game against Clyde about why he wasn't as poor as people seemed to think at that time, and the reason I felt I could see what was to come.

Been away working this week and missed the news about Higdon. My post history will also (smugly) shows that I liked what I saw with him even when he hadn't started scoring and it was great to see how he flourished as a player once he settled in. In my time, I can't think of a player better at holding the ball up and bringing others into play - for that as much as his goals, he was one of the best centre forwards that we've had (and we've had more good strikers than a team of our stature could expect, so that's a big compliment). To see a 'Well player score 20+ was something I never thought I'd see and the POTY award is still quite surreal when you look at that other winners over the years. The fact he gave that big St Johnstone carthorse a slap afterwards was the icing on the cake :) 

As with all these things, it was a 2 way street - to play in a team with Murphy, Humphrey, Law & Ojaama meant that there was a huge number of chances made that he probably wouldn't have got in other SPL teams at the time - so we were good for him. That 'Well team was my 2nd favourite ever after the mid 90's team and Higgy was an absolute standout in that team, so good luck to him.

See the club seem to be really pushing their flexi ticket deal on their socials. Have they always had the option of picking your games or is that new?

"If you already know which games you want to attend then when buying the package, you can take home the tickets right there and then!" http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/10/31/flexi-tickets-now-on-sale/

I thought previous packages were just voucher books you redeemed before the game.

East Stand pricing seems alright, works out £16.80 a game for adult, £9.80 concessions, £6 juveniles.

As with all these things, it was a 2 way street - to play in a team with Murphy, Humphrey, Law & Ojaama meant that there was a huge number of chances made that he probably wouldn't have got in other SPL teams at the time - so we were good for him.

Just about every player in that team had a song as well. The best of times.

Great news regarding Cadden and our Ghanaian Italian superstar.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ghanaian born Italians are the future. I'm terribly excited.

Also, re: what Oats said: 

“Over the last year we’ve seen the likes of Ross MacLean, Allan Campbell, Jake Hastie, Jack McMillan and David Turnbull, all Academy graduates, appear in first-team squads as well as Chris Cadden cementing himself as one of the best young players in Scotland."

We're so much better at pretending our players are fantastic, now.

Dundee United pretended their players were good for years and they made daft amounts of money out them. I'm happy to keep up this charade if you are.

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Just about every player in that team had a song as well. The best of times.

Great news regarding Cadden and our Ghanaian Italian superstar.

Away at Dunfermline around that time is the most I've ever laughed at the football. The Well Bois had gone round every player doing their song, including 2 of the subs who were warming up right in front of us. The 3rd sub was Stuart Carswell who hadn't really played much yet and you could sense everyone wondering what was going to happen for him, before an instinctive chorus of "Song for Stuart Carswell....oh we've no song for Stuart Carswell...". The timing of the whole thing was "had-to-be-there" genius and the 3 subs were absolutely gutting themselves.

On the subject of the Flexi-Ticket, I'm back to a ST this season but for the last two I've had a Flexi-Ticket and it's brilliant if you know you will only make it to a few games. You just take it to the ticket office before kick-off of whatever game you fancy, and they give you a match ticket then delete one game from your account. It's a great idea and works really well.