Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Surely there is criticism and there is being pragmatic. We are probably at the moment meeting any rational pre season expectations, arguably even exceeding them. The whole world and their Granny expected us to be propping up the league all season. Ok we've stalled a bit recently, but we aren't getting horsed every week. The lack of a striker is glaringly obvious, and I am sure McCall will try and rectify this when the window opens, but lets not forget we were on an impressive unbeaten run playing without one. When Webster flattened Moore in August did you think it was going to lead to this length of time out? Nobody could have foresaw that one. A few weeks maybe, but several months...no. After the window shut the chances of getting a decent striker in were pretty much zero. So we had to wait until January.

Ayr fans are never shy of criticising managers but I fail to see how McCall can be here.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A big difference when you've 10,000 there against your arch rivals, it's one of those games that keeps them in the house nowadays, who can blame them.

Brian Reid got us to the semis playing defensive football so was quite right to continue with those tactics against better opposition. He was a great manager for Ayr.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

Brian Reid got us to the semis playing defensive football so was quite right to continue with those tactics against better opposition. He was a great manager for Ayr.

Brian Reid played it more defensively in the semi and he wasn't a great manager for Ayr, get a grip.

5 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

Surely there is criticism and there is being pragmatic. We are probably at the moment meeting any rational pre season expectations, arguably even exceeding them. The whole world and their Granny expected us to be propping up the league all season. Ok we've stalled a bit recently, but we aren't getting horsed every week. The lack of a striker is glaringly obvious, and I am sure McCall will try and rectify this when the window opens, but lets not forget we were on an impressive unbeaten run playing without one. When Webster flattened Moore in August did you think it was going to lead to this length of time out? Nobody could have foresaw that one. A few weeks maybe, but several months...no. After the window shut the chances of getting a decent striker in were pretty much zero. So we had to wait until January.

Ayr fans are never shy of criticising managers but I fail to see how McCall can be here.

What criticism has McCall actually received on here or at the games?

Brian Reid played it more defensively in the semi and he wasn't a great manager for Ayr, get a grip.

Apart from Mcall who was better in the last 20 years? Dalziel did well but he had a big budget.

4 minutes ago, ftk said:

Apart from Mcall who was better in the last 20 years? Dalziel did well but he had a big budget.

Judging against shite managers doesn't make him great.

Reid was an ok manager for us, got us promoted twice and got us to a league cup semi-final but ultimately the two promotions ended in relegation the following season. 

The fact he's now managing Stranraer and has them sitting second bottom tells you all you need to know. 

Just now, ftk said:

Exactly that is my point! I can only compare Brian Reid to other Ayr managers and in my opinion he was one of the better ones.

Well I can compare him against more managers and he wasn't great, he was better than the useless ones including Dalziel, he had a decent eye for the players we needed, he got us up twice, he got us relegated the 2nd time, he got us to a semi, we didn't turn up in the semi.

His last season and semi performance were so underwhelming that the fans hardly raised a murmur when he left, I certainly don't remember many willing him to stay.

Well I can compare him against more managers and he wasn't great, he was better than the useless ones including Dalziel, he had a decent eye for the players we needed, he got us up twice, he got us relegated the 2nd time, he got us to a semi, we didn't turn up in the semi.
His last season and semi performance were so underwhelming that the fans hardly raised a murmur when he left, I certainly don't remember many willing him to stay.

He had to go because the fans had turned on him but I never. He never got much financial backing from the chairman and let's face 4 years as manager at any club these days is doing well.

On 08/12/2016 at 10:31, ayrmad said:

Our survival in this league is going to be decided by who we have played/might play up front, it's been fairly obvious for at least 10 games now that we don't have enough up front, the manager and board will rightly be judged when our final position is decided, if we're still in here come next season great, hurrah, pats on the back etc, if we're not the attention will rightly fall on McCall & Co. 

On 11/12/2016 at 23:56, ayrmad said:

I'm just surprised that McCall and the board are getting such an easy ride, Reid would be getting absolutely slaughtered by now if he still hadn't dug up a striker.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:17, ayrmad said:

Every other Ayr manager has been expected to conjure up the players that were required at the time, it's actually quite bewildering how McCall appears to be beyond reproach amongst the Ayr faithful.

On 12/12/2016 at 11:58, ayrmad said:

Reid was routinely slaughtered for not having the right players in place in the Championship.

McCall's certainly not perfect, some of his substitutions or lack of them were bewildering on Saturday.

What has league 2 got to do with this season, Reid got us here twice and done fcuk all, McCall's got us here and we're on the verge of doing f**k all again, forget the wouldacouldashoulda crap about the next 2 games, we've managed 2 points and 3 goals in our last 6 games, that's what I'm judging on not fantasy football.

Regardless of any movement in January pointing out Ayr's shortcomings is not panicking it's being pragmatic and objective.

Some will say adding a striker won't matter as we don't create enough but we'll never know until we sign a player that knows where to go when others are bearing down on the box, it's like watching headless chickens in the box at times when Devlin & Co are heading for the box..

On 12/12/2016 at 12:56, ayrmad said:

League 2 is history, we're in the 2016/17 season.

I've spent a lifetime saying if we do this and we do that, that's fantasyland.

I've not ignored the rest of the season, 4 wins  5 draws 7 losses 15 for 29 against the last time,4 wins 4 draws 8 losses 13 for 23 against this time, not exactly stellar stuff.

It's not who we've played it's how many points we're leaving on the pitch against them that counts, Dundee United were as poor as we're going to see them this season and we still scored zero.

2 from 18 is bad form.

There's my posts on McCall and there are 3 others where my responses are inside the posts I'm replying to, list all the criticism, I think it boils down to me questioning why we've played almost the whole season without bringing in the striker that we so obviously need.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

He had to go because the fans had turned on him but I never. He never got much financial backing from the chairman and let's face 4 years as manager at any club these days is doing well.

Why did the fans turn on an apparently great manager?

How do you know what backing he got.

Why did the fans turn on an apparently great manager?
How do you know what backing he got.

They turned on him because he couldn't take us to the next level which was keeping us in the 1st division after 2 attempts. Fans always want more. So you basically can't name a better Ayr manager in the last 20 years then?

I don't think anyone would disagree with you.

We either need

a) A fit Craig Moore back for the second half of the season or

b ) A decent striker who will score on a regular basis or

c ) Both of the above

It has been stated by many that this is the case. A blind man can see where we are currently lacking. However to suggest that McCall isn't receiving enough criticism for something that has been outwith his control, when we are currently meeting our objectives for the season is bizarre.

Archived