Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't really agree to be honest. Doesn't stand out as much but ultimately that's not his job. Keeps possession well and breaks up play. Was excellent on Saturday. 
In terms of losing two key players; the two I would hate to lose would be Devlin and Balatoni. If Devlin keeps going the way he is, then himself and Balatoni should be up a level. 

I desperately hope we can keep Devlin another year but that's very unlikely now. If he leaves I would hope he'd go to a Premiership club instead of a Championship one that's only finishing a few places ahead of us each year. As for Balatoni he's made it clear to McCall that he's got plans to play abroad so I reckon he'll be gone as well.

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I desperately hope we can keep Devlin another year but that's very unlikely now. If he leaves I would hope he'd go to a Premiership club instead of a Championship one that's only finishing a few places ahead of us each year. As for Balatoni he's made it clear to McCall that he's got plans to play abroad so I reckon he'll be gone as well.

Certainly don't expect to keep either of them. I can't think of any centre half's we have had in the last 10 years, at least, who have been nearly as good as Balatoni. Possibly going back to John Hughes. 

Similarly, going back to the days of Paul Lovering when we had a full back as good to watch as Devlin can be. Other than a dip last season he has been excellent for seasons. 

Certainly don't expect to keep either of them. I can't think of any centre half's we have had in the last 10 years, at least, who have been nearly as good as Balatoni. Possibly going back to John Hughes. 
Similarly, going back to the days of Paul Lovering when we had a full back as good to watch as Devlin can be. Other than a dip last season he has been excellent for seasons. 

A lot of people might scoff at the idea of Devlin being the best full back in this division but when you're watching him week in week out it's hard to argue. The only full back I've seen this season better than him was the wee guy at Aberdeen. Think his name was Logan. Thought he was excellent but as far as Championship full backs go, Devlin has been the best.

Providing we stay up and go full time I think Nicky Devlin will be here for a while. He's said numerous times how much he loves the club and is the happiest he's been in football and turned down a contract offer from Partick Thistle at the beginning of the season. 

Providing we stay up and go full time I think Nicky Devlin will be here for a while. He's said numerous times how much he loves the club and is the happiest he's been in football and turned down a contract offer from Partick Thistle at the beginning of the season. 

Yeah he's made it clear that he loves the club but I doubt that will stop him wanting to play for a bigger club and continue to develop as a footballer. McCall said that he's "outgrown the club". Hope I'm wrong but I think he'll be off and the end of the season even if we do go full time.

8 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Well done on answering almost nothing, can I assume that you've just chosen to forget as well?

You seem to think I'm interested in your opinion, if you're that desperate to know what I think knock yourself out trawling through all my posts, there's plenty of them.

25 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

You seem to think I'm interested in your opinion,

If I wasn't interested in the opinions of others I wouldn't trawl through a forum reading and responding to other peoples' opinions.

27 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

if you're that desperate to know what I think knock yourself out trawling through all my posts,

States opinion: refuses to explain; asserts superiority.

28 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

there's plenty of them.

It's a shame they make you come across as a deluded halfwit.

19 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do Ayr not have some full! time  players ?

We have guys who don't have jobs outside of football.  But guys actually training full time, no. 

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If I wasn't interested in the opinions of others I wouldn't trawl through a forum reading and responding to other peoples' opinions.

It was you that felt the urge to post about me not the other way round.

States opinion: refuses to explain; asserts superiority.

I've said plenty about Reid's last season in charge, I don't hide my opinions when I have them.

It's a shame they make you come across as a deluded halfwit.

I'll take deluded halfwit everyday of the week just as long as I'm not settling for 8th when I feel we can do much better.

8 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It was you that felt the urge to post about me not the other way round.

And then you felt the need to "post about me" in return.

9 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I've said plenty about Reid's last season in charge, I don't hide my opinions when I have them.

I don't disagree that if Reid hadn't used a flat, ultra-negative 4-5-1 for most of the first half of the season then we would have had a better chance of staying up. We looked far better after he came to his senses, however that also coincided with a number of players being added to squad. Saying he should have kept us up is perfectly reasonable, saying that he should have had us finishing in the top half of the table is delusional.

13 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

And then you felt the need to "post about me" in return.

I don't disagree that if Reid hadn't used a flat, ultra-negative 4-5-1 for most of the first half of the season then we would have had a better chance of staying up. We looked far better after he came to his senses, however that also coincided with a number of players being added to squad. Saying he should have kept us up is perfectly reasonable, saying that he should have had us finishing in the top half of the table is delusional.

Being 4 points off 4th place with 10 games to go doesn't shout delusional to me. the fact we managed 14 points(4 of which came in our last 8 games) and 15 goals in 16 games against the bottom sides and 24 points(15 of which came in our last 10 games) and 29 goals in 20 games against the top sides doesn't detract from my opinions either.

There's a difference between "could have" and "should have", though. If we carried on our impressive run into the final set of games then we maybe could have, that doesn't mean it's reasonable to demand that we should have. If we finished the season in eighth place or won the play-offs I struggle to see how anyone couldn't have seen that as a successful season especially given the cup runs.

I'm sure there's quite a few things you can direct blame towards Reid at, failure to get a top half finish that season isn't one of them and I'm not sure why that's being used as a stick to beat McCall with, or anyone on here who would be more than content with staying up this season.

10 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Don't really agree to be honest. Doesn't stand out as much but ultimately that's not his job. Keeps possession well and breaks up play. Was excellent on Saturday. 

In terms of losing two key players; the two I would hate to lose would be Devlin and Balatoni. If Devlin keeps going the way he is, then himself and Balatoni should be up a level. 

For me Docs passing this year isn't up to his usual standards and Cairney has surpassed him, as well as chipping in with a few goals. Granted he isn't as mobile, but still think Cairney has been more important.

Balatoni will definetly be away. Devlin would be the only other dead cert for me, however there's every chance he'd stay.

7 hours ago, eez-eh said:

There's a difference between "could have" and "should have", though. If we carried on our impressive run into the final set of games then we maybe could have, that doesn't mean it's reasonable to demand that we should have. If we finished the season in eighth place or won the play-offs I struggle to see how anyone couldn't have seen that as a successful season especially given the cup runs.

I'm sure there's quite a few things you can direct blame towards Reid at, failure to get a top half finish that season isn't one of them and I'm not sure why that's being used as a stick to beat McCall with, or anyone on here who would be more than content with staying up this season.

It's not what position we could have attained that's the problem it's failing to reach his primary objective that done it for Reid, cup runs and all the rest count for nothing when you get relegated.

I'm not using anything as a stick to beat McCall, I'm pointing out that he's risking the same result as Reid due to the lack of a striker and a n other, there appears to be a large number of Ayr fans whose ONLY target is 8th, I don't think that's the best way to ensure survival and given his comments in the AP neither does McCall, targets have to flexible and given how the season has unfolded our immediate target should now be best of the rest 6th with the ability to dream if results go our way over the next 10 games.

Archived