Rovers - new shit-com?

Grim O'Grady

Thought it was pretty poor tbh. Odd mildly amusing bit but when you see the bbc documentary about Salford, its clear that there is a potential goldmine of comedy material here being missed. Also reckon gervais might want his lawyer to look into why yon character from Derek has been shamelessly ripped off.

Derek was written by one of the writers of this shite. So he'd get away with it.

Grimbo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek was written by one of the writers of this shite. So he'd get away with it.

Grimbo

Ah everyday is a school day....could at least have put some distance between the characters though...its pure rip off.

Ach it's alright. 

Every review I have heard on the radio or read about from people that have seen it have said it takes a couple of episodes to get into but it gets good after episode 2.

Still better than all the reality tv show shite that's all over the channels.

Edited to add, seen Derek was mentioned above, I take it everyone noticed the guy that plays Kev is in this?

Ach it's alright.

Every review I have heard on the radio or read about from people that have seen it have said it takes a couple of episodes to get into but it gets good after episode 2.

Still better than all the reality tv show shite that's all over the channels.

Edited to add, seen Derek was mentioned above, I take it everyone noticed the guy that plays Kev is in this?

Aye the 2 beardos who play the quiz machine are the writers of the show.

I think it's already been mentioned, by me ffs.

Only 4 more episodes to go.

Also like already mentioned this has comedy gold potential, hope series 2 gets some decent writers in.

Grimbo

Thought it was pretty poor tbh. Odd mildly amusing bit but when you see the bbc documentary about Salford, its clear that there is a potential goldmine of comedy material here being missed. Also reckon gervais might want his lawyer to look into why yon character from Derek has been shamelessly ripped off.

They're too busy looking at the guy in the Shakespeare thing with David Mitchell.

I quite liked it - but then I can identify with fans of a crap team with a handful of supporters who all know each other by name.

Grimbo

Earl was in Derek but he didnt write it.

Thought this weeks was predictable and, worryingly, just the same jokes as last week. I think I'll give it one more week but Im not holding out much hope. Shame, as a backdrop its got great potential and I really like Joe Wilkinson

Yep, like others, agree that the situation and characters have real potential - some great combinations - the son of the blind woman and the tattooed lady have some good moments, likewise the new barmaid and the complete idiot are worth watching. The 2 guys at the bandit could be developed - the tension between them and Craig Cash has scope. But so much is extremely predictable and some of the overacting is painful.

I'll still watch next week though!

I haven't actually seen this but I imagine Craig Cash plays the same role he always does. He even does it when he's doing the voice over on Gogglebox.

He started off not to bad in The Royle Family but got worse as it went on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still going with this.

I cant recall laughing to many times but for some reason I am interested in some character devlopments.

Ex. The barmaid and the young lad

Mandy and the guy with the blind mum

I think Pete is going to bond with the gay guy too

The barmaid was a guest on 'Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled' during the week. There was a running gag about how young she was - by the end she was pretending that she was born in 2005 or something.

As I've said, I like it because I have experience of a crappy club with a tiny handful of supporters. I can even identify many of them - the Statto bloke, the two guys by the fruit machine who take the piss out of everyone, the hyper-excited guy running the club shop...

I'm quite enjoying this as I loved Early Doors and suspected this would slightly similar in certain ways. Craig Cash's acting can be a bit OTT at times but the other characters are worth watching. 

Archived