Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Big opportunity for Frampton to get some real international stardom in this fight it would mean him winning of course. For all LSCs faults he's a big name in the sport. 

He used to be one of my favourite UK fighter's but I've gone off him a bit since he beat Quigg and subsequently ducked Rigondeaux. His fan's were completely out of order booing Santa Cruz at the weigh in so that's another reason I wouldn't be bothered if he lost. 

I like to see UK fighters that are willing to take it to the US.

Rigondeaux would have been the tougher fight though from a competitive aspect and also from a business perspective. Followers of the sport have very little influence on matchmaking but we can always try by not giving fighters a pass for ducking. 

As a say " he stoked the flames " MEN ARENA that night was subjected to hello hello , Derry walls etc... The boozers in the town were even worse . Ok he's married a catholic but when he's claiming his fans are amazing and keep up be support that means he's happy with what he's hearing and demanding it being shouted :thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

No denying he's a good Wee fighter , and hel be in a close bout the night , just think hel have bit more than he can chew 

Tricky subject discussing sectarianism with Frampton so I'm not going to go down that road.

He does encourage his fan's to be a bit more vocal though and it was a bit cringe worthy listening to him after the Quigg fight singing  that Belfast take on We Are The........ Boys Making All that Noise. I put it down to high spirits at the time but if that kind of behaviours encouraging opponents to get booed at a weigh in then he should just stfu and pack it in. 

As a say " he stoked the flames " MEN ARENA that night was subjected to hello hello , Derry walls etc... The boozers in the town were even worse . Ok he's married a catholic but when he's claiming his fans are amazing and keep up be support that means he's happy with what he's hearing and demanding it being shouted :thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

No denying he's a good Wee fighter , and hel be in a close bout the night , just think hel have bit more than he can chew 

What do you want him to say? That they were crap? I never attended the fight but all I heard was that song about the Ulster boys making all the noise......repeatedly.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

That link is encouraged unfortunately and is kind of ingrained in British fans anyway. Especially english. In fact, probably exclusively English when I think about it.

To an extent it serves them well. Ricky Hatton developed a following that was quite staggering. He merited it to an extent but the same tactic is working for lesser fighters like Bellew. Josh Warrington also must earn well above his current merit in boxing terms due to encouraging the Leeds thing.

Conversely, Joe Calzaghes following despite growing at the tail end never really reached Hatton type levels and that might well be down to the fact he never pushed the football crossover thing.

Completely agree. Hearn almost had his cock in his hand after a Leeds hometown show when LUFC played Sheffield Wednesday at midday earlier on and people watching Warrington were falling about all over the place. Good money spinner for him though tapping into the football going casual fan market. 

That link is encouraged unfortunately and is kind of ingrained in British fans anyway. Especially english. In fact, probably exclusively English when I think about it.

To an extent it serves them well. Ricky Hatton developed a following that was quite staggering. He merited it to an extent but the same tactic is working for lesser fighters like Bellew. Josh Warrington also must earn well above his current merit in boxing terms due to encouraging the Leeds thing.

Conversely, Joe Calzaghes following despite growing at the tail end never really reached Hatton type levels and that might well be down to the fact he never pushed the football crossover thing.

I don't think it's limited to English fighters.

I've heard plenty of Celtic related chants at burns fights and even IRA crap with them singing, "there's only one Ricky burns- like me and you he's a Provo too, walking in a....wonderland"

Disappointed that Ricky has started to pander to it with tricolour shorts.

I can't stand the football following supporters at boxing shows. There is a way you conduct yourself and there is a way you conduct yourself at a boxing match.
Mocking the opponent and showing disrespect is acceptable in a tribal game like football. In boxing it's a disgrace. I hate fat lager louts that sit on their fat arses giving it "easy easy" when they're chose fighter has won- aye easy for them doing nothing.

Everyone that steps in a ring deserves respect.

I've only seen him live twice and one wasnt even his show but I never noticed it. Of course that sort of shite is disappointing if its going on and if Ricky encourages it.

Its not on the scale of say a Warrington or Hatton though where their show, music etc is all centred around the football

I don't think Ricky encouraged it. But recently the tricolour shorts has legitimised it.

4 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I can't stand the football following supporters at boxing shows. There is a way you conduct yourself and there is a way you conduct yourself at a boxing match.
Mocking the opponent and showing disrespect is acceptable in a tribal game like football. In boxing it's a disgrace. I hate fat lager louts that sit on their fat arses giving it "easy easy" when they're chose fighter has won- aye easy for them doing nothing.

Everyone that steps in a ring deserves respect.

There should be no place for that in the sport at all. 

It's just about respect imo and boys mouthing off at fighter that's arguably puting his life on the line and would ice the booers literally within a matter of seconds. This behaviour hardly ever happens with fighters from other countries. 

9 minutes ago, Pete Rockwell said:

It's just about respect imo and boys mouthing off at fighter that's arguably puting his life on the line and would ice the booers literally within a matter of seconds. This behaviour hardly ever happens with fighters from other countries. 

I'd doubt many of the fans don't have respect for the fighters it's more about getting behind your own guy