Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

4 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Such as?

Because he's awkward,smaller, much shorter reach, hasn't knocked out anyone with a chin so far and would try and come forward continually.

Bruno would have completely outclassed Takam with zero problems whatsoever.

I loved big Bruno but I'm not sure about that. Beaten him? Probably. A wee bit of revisionism going on with regards to how good Bruno actually was. Most famous for "hurting" Mike Tyson and beating a mentally unstable Oliver McCall to become world champion but also prone to turning into a big robot when hit on the chin. Personally I think Takam would've been a bit of a nightmare for him.

16 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I loved big Bruno but I'm not sure about that. Beaten him? Probably. A wee bit of revisionism going on with regards to how good Bruno actually was. Most famous for "hurting" Mike Tyson and beating a mentally unstable Oliver McCall to become world champion but also prone to turning into a big robot when hit on the chin. Personally I think Takam would've been a bit of a nightmare for him.

That big robot was doing more than ok against the best jabber in the game until he hit Lewis' glove with his chin

2 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

That point's irrelevant to your argument.

Yep, a year earlier that mentally unstable guy stopped lewis, only 2 of Bruno' fights ever went the distance.

7 minutes ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Let's be honest, Lewis would have had a field day with any of the current crop of heavyweights.

Obvs only the boxing colossus that is D Whyte would have had half a chance...

Maybe before he'd turned 50.

9 minutes ago, sjc said:

Why is Bowe so far down?

Don't know, Lewis was one of the experts so that's one 20th place.

Ring magazine done a poll of 40 experts in 1962 and it was 1. Dempsey  2. Louis 3.  Johnson and 7. Marciano

11 minutes ago, sjc said:

http://lennoxlewis.com/the-last-man-standing-a-look-at-todays-heavyweight-division/

Interesting article by Lennox Lewis. Makes a good point about the current crop in the HW division being "underdeveloped" imo.

I'm taking it from that piece that he thinks someone other than Joshua will be the last man standing, personally I'm hoping Warren can batter fights into Dubois as he's the 1st young heavyweight that's really excited me in about 30 years.

I'm taking it from that piece that he thinks someone other than Joshua will be the last man standing, personally I'm hoping Warren can batter fights into Dubois as he's the 1st young heavyweight that's really excited me in about 30 years.

Hadn't noticed.

Takam causing Bruno problems [emoji23] bruno has a better record than any of the jobbers these days.

I've seen a lot of fucking laughable statements in this thread over the years, but this is up there.

Who exactly did Frank Bruno beat that was in the same stratosphere as Wladimir Klitschko (who both Fury and Joshua beat)? Oliver McCall is the best win on Bruno's resume.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

I've seen a lot of fucking laughable statements in this thread over the years, but this is up there.

Who exactly did Frank Bruno beat that was in the same stratosphere as Wladimir Klitschko (who both Fury and Joshua beat)? Oliver McCall is the best win on Bruno's resume.

I've never found myself defending Wlad but he was 39 and 41 and having fights 68 and 69 when he fought those guys.

Wlad lost to Puritty, Sanders and Brewster when he was at the top of his game.

I wouldn't dis McCall too much as far as know he never hit the deck in his career and he dispatched Lewis in 2.

Edited by ayrmad

I've never found myself defending Wlad but he was 39 and 41 and having fights 68 and 69 when he fought those guys.
Wlad lost to Puritty, Sanders and Brewster when he was at the top of his game.
I wouldn't dis McCall too much as far as know he never hit the deck in his career and he dispatched Lewis in 2.

Wlad wasn't at the top of his game til after he lost these fights. He had to adjust his whole style as a result of those losses.