Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Thought Yafai was pretty fortunate to keep his title, in a very close fight

I thought he’d won it by three or four rounds. Gonzalez was probably busier overall, but didn’t think he really landed anything of note, and the quality work was coming from Yafai, landing accurate hooks and controlling the pace of the fight.

Really, really fucking excited for Fury v Wilder now. Unquestionably the biggest heavyweight fight since Joshua v Wlad, and a proper 50/50 with numerous questions around it.

Is Fury ready for this level of competition? does he still have the speed and reflexes to avoid that monster right? Does Wilder have the ability and boxing intelligence to set traps for Fury? Will he jut try and bulldoze his way in and leave openings for Fury to exploit? Does Fury have the power to keep him off, or even knock him out (Wilder showed he has a decent chin against Ortiz, IMO)? Will one of them put on a display good enough to make Fast Eddie legitimately shit himself?

So fucking excited!

Same as above - buzzing for it. One minute I can visualise Fury outclassing Wilder, then I can see Wilder simply smashing him, being too quick and athletic. Might just stick with my early prediction of a dreary points win for Wilder and George Foreman going for that too. Wilder wants to knock him out but looks to be adjusting his body shape and training to cope with Fury's size and strength. Carrying those extra muscles may take it's toll if the fight drags on, limiting those explosive bursts in the late rounds where he ditches boxing and starts seal clubbing his opponent.  It could be hard for Fury to KO Wilder if Wilder isn't windmilling and getting out of shape. Hope I'm totally wrong and it all kicks off.

Can see Eddie Hearn praying for a Fury win. Fury already said he'd probably waive the rematch should Wilder win in order for Wilder to face AJ. Fury probably just trolling but I agree with his view that Wilder is all wrong for AJ as he's too static and gets hit too much. 

I'm a big Fury fan, I've no idea how this fight will go as I've not got a clue what shape Tyson is in.

Wilder dismantling Fury would probably be the best outcome for the heavyweight division, if Fury could KO Wilder or produce an near shutout on points then that would shake up the division a bit as well.

Am i the only one to question fury? His record is a bit meh if you take away his fight with wlad. Don't get me wrong hes a personality but i don't get the hysteria surrounding him. I dont see nothing other than a Wilder ko, hope im wrong as fury has done exceptionally well to come back from all he's faced.

Am i the only one to question fury? His record is a bit meh if you take away his fight with wlad. Don't get me wrong hes a personality but i don't get the hysteria surrounding him. I dont see nothing other than a Wilder ko, hope im wrong as fury has done exceptionally well to come back from all he's faced.

Wilders records is worse imo. Fury climbed the rankings and beat the man. Wilder scraped through Ortiz and has beat no one of note convincingly. If the Fury that jabbed Chisora to bits turns up he'll jab Wilder to bits as well.

Wilders records is worse imo. Fury climbed the rankings and beat the man. Wilder scraped through Ortiz and has beat no one of note convincingly. If the Fury that jabbed Chisora to bits turns up he'll jab Wilder to bits as well.  
Not sure you can compare a fight with Chisora to Wilder tbh.

Fury needs to move, frustrate, jab and generally shitfest it. All of which he is more than capable of. He is also capable of stifling the windmilling and avoidong being KOd. My issue is all of this is based on a version of Fury that was last seen in a ring against Wlad. And even if the current version of Fury can do all of those things, thats him avoiding the KO. Him being capable of the punch output required to win on points is the biggest ? For me.

I put it at maybe 60/40 in Furys favour that hes still too smart to get KOd but probably 75/25 against that he can find a way to actually win the fight

Wilders is just as bad, he's never fought a legitimate contender, Ortiz isn't proven to be of any level and pushed Wilder very very hard and a younger man would of finished the fight in the 7th. All that said still looking forward to seeing it.

54 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

Why would you take away his flight with Wlad though? He handily beat Chisora twice who is more than capable of giving any heavyweight hell when he's focussed. Beat Kevin Johnson in 2012 when Johnson was actually a live opponent, and although there was a huge size differential, Steve Cunningham was still a cracking boxer and a good win.

His records matches up to those of his peers, IMO, and his win against Wlad is the most impressive of all their victories.

4 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Seen the press conference, Fury doesn’t look in particularly good shape. Not sure he’s going to able to jab and move for 12 rounds.

I actually think he looked fit and healthy. Because he put on so much weight, I don't imagine he'll be muscular or "ripped" for a long, long time, if ever at all due to the stretch of the skin alone, but that doesn't mean he's not fit enough to jab and move for 12 rounds. We'll find out Saturday though I guess. Buzzing. 

I actually think he looked fit and healthy. Because he put on so much weight, I don't imagine he'll be muscular or "ripped" for a long, long time, if ever at all due to the stretch of the skin alone, but that doesn't mean he's not fit enough to jab and move for 12 rounds. We'll find out Saturday though I guess. Buzzing. 
There is no way you can claim his record matches up to AJ??? Chisora was classed as finished up until his last couple of fights.

I certainly wasn’t expecting him ripped but still looked too big imo. Maybe you’re right thinking it’s just loose skin. I hope so. I want Fury to win, but if he gets beat at least want it to be the best Fury possible that gets beat. Starting to get the tingling feeling for this one, alarm will be set, stream will be found! Don’t want to go out and end up too fucked to watch it

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Why would you take away his flight with Wlad though? He handily beat Chisora twice who is more than capable of giving any heavyweight hell when he's focussed. Beat Kevin Johnson in 2012 when Johnson was actually a live opponent, and although there was a huge size differential, Steve Cunningham was still a cracking boxer and a good win.

His records matches up to those of his peers, IMO, and his win against Wlad is the most impressive of all their victories.

Totally agree with everything you've said.  I've never wanted to see a fighter win more than I do Fury tomorrow night.  I think he needs it to banish his personal demons but I worry for him if he loses badly.   My heart says a Fury win by late stoppage or points while my gut says Wilder by KO early doors.  So hard to predict.