Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Very enjoyable fight. Bellew can leave with his head held high he boxed out of his skin but class told in the end. Bellew looked gassed after 5 or 6 rounds and was only one winner from then on.

Cardle needs to jack it he is taking some punishment in his fights one of the most easy guys to hit I wouldn't want to see him end up in a really bad way in the ring.

Never seen the Allen fight but defending with his fave again by all accounts against a low quality opponent.

IMG_7352.jpg

That is a ridiculous 26 months. Every one in the opponents backyard as well. Some boy.

Dont think he has the power to trouble AJ. movement yes but can he handle the power AJ has? Time will tell, hopefully its a progression and he's given a chance and not his 3rd fight at heavyweight

He’s not been hurt in any one of his fights to date, and while Joshua will unquestionably be a bigger puncher than the cruiserweights he’s faced, he’s also a lot slower, more robotic, and more open to being hit.

I said it after Povetkin, and nothing tonight has changed my mind, if the two fought in May I’d be picking Usyk.

Dont think he has the power to trouble AJ. movement yes but can he handle the power AJ has? Time will tell, hopefully its a progression and he's given a chance and not his 3rd fight at heavyweight

I think he could trouble AJ with his power. Yeah he might not be a massive massive puncher but with his technique if he can catch AJ flush on the chin I reckon he puts him over but the big question for me is can he pressure AJ the way he Bellew because AJ will come forward at him and look to offload on him.

It would certainly be interesting to see Usyk at heavyweight and what weight he would fight at. I tend to think he would be around the 15 and a half mark.

Usyk ahead now for me. Reminds me of Brook v Golovkin a wee bit. Early success for the English guy sending the commentators mad whilst the quality boxer was finding his range. Only see it going one way now, tbh.
Usyk totally dominating the pacing of the fight and the ring.  Really skillful.
I think Bellew is being broken down, he'll have a final shot at knocking him out and then get pulled out before the 10th.
Well played sirs. Well played

Usyk didnt even need to throw to wear Bellew down. Constant movement and pressure, making Bellew go where he wanted him to go. My favourite fights to watch are the ones where you can see guys who apply intelligent pressure forcing the other guy to visibly wilt and breaking them down.

Taking my old cat to the vet to be put down was a similar matchup up Bellew v Usyk. The old moggy got a few bites and scratches in early doors, thinking he had the vet rattled. A few jabs from the vet soon settled him down and by the time the final blow was administered the fight had already left the old boy. It was never really a contest but credit to the Scouser for at least showing a bit of style in the early rounds.

Maybe see Usyk v Chisora on the AJ bill in April?

1 hour ago, Tarmo Kink said:

At the time of watching the fight I was getting soaked into the atmosphere and had the fight just about level at the time of the stoppage. However, having watched it again with the (absolutely abysmal) commentary muted, I had Usyk 5-2 up at the time of the stoppage. I thought Bellew won the first two rounds as Bellew landed some shots and Usyk didn’t really throw anything, although his ring generalship such as cutting off the ring and his footwork was excellent. I thought Usyk won rounds 3-7. While Bellew was still in the fight in rounds 3&4, I thought it was clear he was starting to gas, mainly due to Usyk tiring him out being able to move Bellew wherever he wanted with his ring generalship and landing more often. In round 5 (I believe) Usyk started hammering the body and he couldn’t miss with his punches (including his excellent jab) and it was obvious from that point that he was going to win the fight. Bellew grew more and more tired and Usyk was relentless resulting in the beautiful trap he set up in round 8 for the stoppage, which Bellew walked right into and was sent to the canvas. It was an absolutely brutal knockout, something I didn’t expect.

Overall, I thought Bellew performed reasonably well for the first 4 rounds although it was obvious he wasn’t going to maintain the pace he set early on, throughout the whole fight. I was impressed with the way Usyk stayed very calm despite him being behind and the crowd getting behind Bellew. One thing I liked about Usyk’s performance was his accuracy and how he didn’t waste any punches.

I wanted to point out the absolutely horrific commentary from Sky, probably the worst I’ve heard yet from them. Adam Smith bizarrely pointing out the Bellew’s ‘Bomber’ tattoo had nothing to do with the Manchester Arena terrorist attack, Froch and Haye not giving Usyk any of the first 5 rounds and Adam Smith saying he hoped Lomachenko vacated so Crolla would get a vacant title shot were just a few of the offences.

Aye the Bomber comment was particularly bizarre.  

3 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

At the time of watching the fight I was getting soaked into the atmosphere and had the fight just about level at the time of the stoppage. However, having watched it again with the (absolutely abysmal) commentary muted, I had Usyk 5-2 up at the time of the stoppage. I thought Bellew won the first two rounds as Bellew landed some shots and Usyk didn’t really throw anything, although his ring generalship such as cutting off the ring and his footwork was excellent. I thought Usyk won rounds 3-7. While Bellew was still in the fight in rounds 3&4, I thought it was clear he was starting to gas, mainly due to Usyk tiring him out being able to move Bellew wherever he wanted with his ring generalship and landing more often. In round 5 (I believe) Usyk started hammering the body and he couldn’t miss with his punches (including his excellent jab) and it was obvious from that point that he was going to win the fight. Bellew grew more and more tired and Usyk was relentless resulting in the beautiful trap he set up in round 8 for the stoppage, which Bellew walked right into and was sent to the canvas. It was an absolutely brutal knockout, something I didn’t expect.

Overall, I thought Bellew performed reasonably well for the first 4 rounds although it was obvious he wasn’t going to maintain the pace he set early on, throughout the whole fight. I was impressed with the way Usyk stayed very calm despite him being behind and the crowd getting behind Bellew. One thing I liked about Usyk’s performance was his accuracy and how he didn’t waste any punches.

I wanted to point out the absolutely horrific commentary from Sky, probably the worst I’ve heard yet from them. Adam Smith bizarrely pointing out the Bellew’s ‘Bomber’ tattoo had nothing to do with the Manchester Arena terrorist attack, Froch and Haye not giving Usyk any of the first 5 rounds and Adam Smith saying he hoped Lomachenko vacated so Crolla would get a vacant title shot were just a few of the offences.

I've not watched it back but thought Bellew dipped right onto a Usyk right hand on the bell at the end of the 6th and didn't look too clever after that.