Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What did Arum say?

‘Those scorecards were an absolute disgrace. I feel sorry for Josh. I thought he won the fight. I will never allow an American fighter to come (to the U.K.) with this British Board to score a fight.’ - Bob Arum.

Having watched the McGuigan documentary, can only assume Taylor’s move to MTK has been his undoing.

His career management had been shambolic ever since.

I think it's time pro boxing becomes more transparent and each round scoring needs to be shown to both the fighters and the public between each round. It will make for better fights and the crowd can hold the judges to account at the time.

Enjoyed Costello repeatedly saying Catterall landed more big shots as the stats are flashed up showing Taylor landed 20% more big shots. 

Bob is probably looking at it and thinking if this was in New York it’s a clear Taylor win as he’s seeing Catterall getting pushed back so much and as the fight progresses Catterall is mouth breathing and doing laps of the ring at one stage. Catteral even said he believed he controlled those rounds he took off. 

What a difference to that first fight though. Cracking entertainment topped off by the comedy scoring and WWE mic grab by Arum.

Posted (edited)

Looking back on my scoring, I had it 6-4 Taylor with 2 even. I was scoring as objectively as I could; as the commentary was so poor, to the point of distraction.

Edited by kiddy

7 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Eddie Hearn even said the scorecards were bollocks.

But that Catterall still won the fight. He also still thinks AJ is the best Heavyweight on the planet!🙄

117-111 is mental, but I had Catterall up by a couple of rounds scoring it as objectively as I could. Thought the cleaner and more powerful punches came from Caterall, although he did tire massively in the second half of the fight he was still able to catch Josh coming in. A lot of the rounds were very difficult to score. 

Josh was getting pinged by that jab all night, to the point where it became quite amateurish. It was clear to see Josh did his best work when he used his feet to pressure Jack along with using his lead hand feints to set up a combination, and when he did that he looked good. But he had to move his head off line more as some of the rounds that were close I gave to Catterall purely because he was landing that jab at will. Don’t know where Taylor goes from here? If I was him I might be tempted to hang up the gloves, he’s been a unified champion and fought in some great fights, I don’t see him doing much damage moving up the weights. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

117-111 is mental, but I had Catterall up by a couple of rounds scoring it as objectively as I could. Thought the cleaner and more powerful punches came from Caterall, although he did tire massively in the second half of the fight he was still able to catch Josh coming in. A lot of the rounds were very difficult to score. 

Josh was getting pinged by that jab all night, to the point where it became quite amateurish. It was clear to see Josh did his best work when he used his feet to pressure Jack along with using his lead hand feints to set up a combination, and when he did that he looked good. But he had to move his head off line more as some of the rounds that were close I gave to Catterall purely because he was landing that jab at will. Don’t know where Taylor goes from here? If I was him I might be tempted to hang up the gloves, he’s been a unified champion and fought in some great fights, I don’t see him doing much damage moving up the weights. 

Absolutely agree looks an absolute shell of the fighter he was 5/6 years ago. He used to look very spiteful in the ring and was a brutal body puncher. Only reason I see him fighting on is for the money. 

Really should have a much much higher profile in this country for what he has achieved. Not particularly helped by him not being a very likable character.

See another former boxer is embarrassing the sport, Amir Khan considering a "comeback" by fighting YouTubers. The sooner boxing stop giving these arseholes a licence the better, won't happen though because the only important thing in boxing is money, money, money.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Yeah, and folk thought Josh Taylor was a hard sell to the general public.  

I've seen Willy box a couple of times but that's the first I've really heard him speak.  Clearly not his strong point.  Very polished performance though I did fear for him in the latter rounds.