Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 hours ago, The Saintee said:

I wonder how we'd have done without Stevie May?

Considering he was about to be let go by Lomas.

What? Isn't this another attempt to rewrite history? You're saying Lomas was about to release a player who'd just scored 25 goals in the Championship?

Edited by Mr Heliums

10 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

What? Isn't this another attempt to rewrite history? You're saying Lomas was about to release a player who'd just scored 25 goals in the Championship?

Yes. 

Lomas didn't rate him and wanted him gone. 

Thought this was fairly common knowledge tbh.

The story goes that Lomas planned on loaning May out again, and that May didn't want to be loaned again, so would be asking to leave.

Fairly sure either May or TW referenced it at some point that season.

Just now, The Saintee said:

Thought this was fairly common knowledge tbh.

I certainly didn't know that. Living in some sort of fantasy world, I hallucinated that he'd signed a new one-year contract a few days before Lomas was approached to become manager of Millwall.

More utter garbage from BawbagGuy. Abysmal for 2 thirds of the season - finished 3rd. Okay then.

Thank you for using the correct capitalisation of my username, too often people do it wrong when trying to insult me.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The story goes that Lomas planned on loaning May out again, and that May didn't want to be loaned again, so would be asking to leave.

Fairly sure either May or TW referenced it at some point that season.

Yes – that's the accepted story (although to be fair, we've never heard Lomas's side of it).

But the unarguable fact is Lomas's Saints offered May a two-year deal* in one of his last acts as a Saints manager. Hardly 'wanting him gone'.

* May, like Caddis, took the one-year offer

Edited by Mr Heliums

Just now, Mr Heliums said:

I certainly didn't know that. Living in some sort of fantasy world, I hallucinated that he'd signed a new one-year contract a few days before Lomas was approached to become manager of Millwall.

I must've made the same trip, as I was in that world too. This world, where facts are irrelevant, is obviously preferential though.

Yes – that's the accepted story (although to be fair, we've never heard Lomas's side of it).
But the unarguable fact is Lomas's Saints offered May a two-year deal* in one of his last acts as a Saints manager. Hardly 'wanting him gone'.

* May, like Caddis, took the one-year offer

Well yeah, a lot of talk in the months previous were about may wanting assurances he wouldn't be a perennial sub who gets loaned out later in the season, while Lomas wasn't convinced he was good enough to make that commitment too, which led to a stalemate which, for a long time, looked like it would lead to May leaving.

Nobody will ever know the truth in that, unless Lomas' book, but it was fairly widely reported at the time.

Worth noting that TW didn't seem to particularly rate May as first choice either, to begin with.

If I remember correctly It took Tommy 1 competitive match before he started May right enough. 

Was that not due to an injury?

Anyway its all just rumours anyway. Won't be long until I get accused of presenting these things as facts.

May did sign a contract under Lomas in June 2012.
Lomas left Saints in June 2013.
And May signed another contract under Wright in October 2013.
Prior to Lomas leaving he wanted May punted.

He signed a one year deal in May 2013.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He signed a one year deal in May 2013.

That's correct.

And I'm proved wrong.

So apologies to the Lomas fan fanboys about the contract situation.

Lomas was a c*nt though.

I was certain that Brown said at a player of the year event that Lomas didn't rate May.

Edited by The Saintee

Just been reading old threads. Apparently at a "Meet the Manager" event, Lomas raved about May and said he hoped he'd make a big impact in the next season. It's then mentioned that Steve Brown said, at a POTY ceremony, that May was on his way out the door under Lomas

Lomas not rating May is beginning to rival Sandaza apparently not trying in his last 6 months at saints in terms of revisionism amongst our fans.

Anyways, desperately need some sort of activity this windows to get away from this sort of chat.

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just been reading old threads. Apparently at a "Meet the Manager" event, Lomas raved about May and said he hoped he'd make a big impact in the next season. It's then mentioned that Steve Brown said, at a POTY ceremony, that May was on his way out the door under Lomas

Good. I'm correct then. Apology revoked.

:thumsup2

4 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

Lomas not rating May is beginning to rival Sandaza apparently not trying in his last 6 months at saints in terms of revisionism amongst our fans.

Anyways, desperately need some sort of activity this windows to get away from this sort of chat.

Don't get me started on Sandaza!

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

But these aren't inconsistent – they tie into the facts we know. Lomas rated May because he offered him a two-year deal. We know May wasn't too keen as he only accepted a one-year deal.

What's clearly nonsense is the statement that Lomas 'wanted rid' of May. As nelsjfc said, it's revisionism.