Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

More likely to be the Geoff Brown Arena or some shite Sponsor name. 

The Tabla Spice arena? 😜 Belter. 

The China China Dome.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

On the subject of changing grounds, I've heard that many options were explored but none were obviously suitable. There was even talk of Tesco moving across the road at one point :lol:

I kid you not.

No way will Tesco move into the McDiarmid site.  Supermarkets aren't building massive stores anymore.  Online shopping has taken way swathes of their non-food business and deli counters etc are a thing of the past. They don't need or want massive sites anymore.  IKEA might be interested though. 

17 minutes ago, The Marly said:

No way will Tesco move into the McDiarmid site.  Supermarkets aren't building massive stores anymore.  Online shopping has taken way swathes of their non-food business and deli counters etc are a thing of the past. They don't need or want massive sites anymore.  IKEA might be interested though. 

Asda deal 2.0 but with IKEA. Only catch is we have to build the new stadium from flat pack. Can just see Roddy now with a massive instruction manual and one key thing trying to build it up! 

Leaving McDiarmid seems to make little to no sense to me, but i dont have a clue about financial stuff.

Got 2 grass pitches + astro + your main pitch. Huge housing development happening next door. Easy access to motorway. Right next to crematorium for business. 

Just need to buy the plot of land with ABP and the old Nissan garage etc., and build a row of pubs + parking for buses and youre not far off perfect.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Leaving McDiarmid seems to make little to no sense to me, but i dont have a clue about financial stuff.

Got 2 grass pitches + astro + your main pitch. Huge housing development happening next door. Easy access to motorway. Right next to crematorium for business. 

Just need to buy the plot of land with ABP and the old Nissan garage etc., and build a row of pubs + parking for buses and youre not far off perfect.

Like you, I don't know the big picture aspect of it but the cost benefit surely doesn't stack up? 

I know McDiarmid will need ongoing maintenance and the older it gets the more often that'll be but how much would it cost to build a new stadium...? Many millions, surely you wouldn't make your money back in the reduction of maintenance costs? 🤷‍♂️

Unless by building a modern facility they could make better money from the hospitality side of things and then also not having to pay for private facilities for gym space etc? 

From a personal perspective a new facility could make many aspects of the experience better but I wouldn't want a better bar facility and modern stadium at the expense of it being in the middle of fucking nowhere. As long as they didn't do what St. Mirren did and basically build a mini McDiarmid 😂

I guess I've no idea really. Does anyone know what the annual maintenance cost is for McDiarmid, ballpark figure wise?

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Should have put an underpass in at the Newhouse Road roundabout Now!

Be a guid we merging point before and after the game as well!

1 hour ago, The Marly said:

It was about 15 years ago when I first heard that Marly.

It's not likely we'll move anytime soon, unless the new owners want it.

Just wondering.......

Outside looking in.

Are these seriously worrying times for the continuation of professional football in Perth ?

Perhaps it's about time that the title of this thread was changed ? Maybe something like 'Crowdfunding to save St Johnstone' ?

Recent history, obviously it's got to be "well done guys". The annals of history will record your recent cup double for eternity.

BUT, those glorious Callum Davidson successes, which happened during the Covid epidemic, at a time when virtually nobody could attend the ties, a time when few St Johnstone fans were able to enjoy the "I was there !" sensation, I just wonder if these might have become an anchor for the current team ? And clearly there are also financial ramifications due to the indifference / withdrawal of financial backing from the Brown family ? How serious could this be ?

And now apparently some insecurity about your stadium. Troubles mounting ?

Are there any Perth Saints fans out there 'in the know' ? Could this perhaps be an existential crisis ? Could St Johnstone become the next Third Lanark ?

Hope not !!!!!

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just wondering.......

Outside looking in.

Are these seriously worrying times for the continuation of professional football in Perth ?

Perhaps it's about time that the title of this thread was changed ? Maybe something like 'Crowdfunding to save St Johnstone' ?

Recent history, obviously it's got to be "well done guys". The annals of history will record your recent cup double for eternity.

BUT, those glorious Callum Davidson successes, which happened during the Covid epidemic, at a time when virtually nobody could attend the ties, a time when few St Johnstone fans were able to enjoy the "I was there !" sensation, I just wonder if these might have become an anchor for the current team ? And clearly there are also financial ramifications due to the indifference / withdrawal of financial backing from the Brown family ? How serious could this be ?

And now apparently some insecurity about your stadium. Troubles mounting ?

Are there any Perth Saints fans out there 'in the know' ? Could this perhaps be an existential crisis ? Could St Johnstone become the next Third Lanark ?

Hope not !!!!!

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

It was about 15 years ago when I first heard that Marly.

It's not likely we'll move anytime soon, unless the new owners want it.

Good mate of mine used to be a property buyer for Tesco,  now retired. He told me Tesco won't build any more Extra sized stores ever again.  Also told me that back in 2007ish they had actually drilled the foundation holes at the Edinburgh Road store to put a second level in.  Then the financial crash happened and the holes were filled in and the work abandoned. It would have made the store bigger than Crieff Road.  I think about that time Tesco were interested in maybe buying out Saints and building an even bigger store there. Also think there was talk of them maybe buying the old mart. Need to ask him.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id take a guess that Wilbur is a St Mirren fan?

Between their ultras treating Perth like a big day out and their fans obsession over our finances I’m concerned about what’s in the Paisley water supply.