Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What sort of team are you guys likely to put out on Saturday against us? A youth/reserve team? Full strength? Mixture?

As strong as it can be, id have thought. We cant lose against 3 lower league sides in the first 4 games of the season. Hearts next Saturday too so I'd think he'll try and get as close as possible the line up for that.

Edited by RandomGuy.

33 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

What sort of team are you guys likely to put out on Saturday against us? A youth/reserve team? Full strength? Mixture?

Id expect our Full team / strongest 11 will be on show!  I'd not worry to much though, you guys will still overrun our midfield any cross into our penalty area your strikers will be unchallenged and should get on the end of them and also as long as your defenders don't panic and give away a penalty kick you should win this!  

1 hour ago, Saint DBL said:

That shot from May in the first half is even more frustrating in the highlights, powder puff. 

I watched it and I can see what he’s trying to do (be too clever actually) by giving the goalkeeper the eyes. However that does not excuse the fact he absolutely back passed it to the keeper. He can hit the ball cleanly, Ross County away last season shows he can and in his early years those chances were getting the laces through them. I think he’s almost gotten to the stage where he’s overthinking and trying to show “intelligence” when realistically if you smash the ball from 12 yards out and on target, you’ve a much better chance of scoring. 

It’s a shame that these chances aren’t yet falling to Jephcott as from what I’ve seen and what his stats say, he’s clinical at a rate of 50% or so. 

7 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

I guess that's as close as a manager will get to directly admitting the season will be brutal unless quality signings are made. Thing is, we need to see more movement on this quickly before he starts to sound like he's just calming the mob with what he thinks we need to hear.

Whilst I understand he was only appointed late on in the season, I struggle to swallow the whole 'behind the 8 ball' piece. We're meant to be a top flight club with some semblance of structure, what the f**k was Gus doing all that time? Still, first 2 signings appear to be decent regardless.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That sky interview is basically 5 minutes of nothing. I wouldn't be very open with Kris Boyd either tbh 

Aye he's basically said what he's said to the fans behind closed doors to Sky but with less detail. 

I honestly don't mind nor care about him saying he wants more players. It also deflects conversation away from the poor results!

Also if there's an agent watching who has a player willing to come here then they know what the manager is looking for. 

The Ayr game made it quite clear to me why he wanted to retain Hallberg as well. Hallberg while no means perfect is good at the kind of runs into channels ahead of the central striker(s) that we were clearly looking for. 

I still think the first 15 mins or so were positive. There's obviously glaring issues defensively, especially if we're going to face someone who'll run in behind. If we can play with the confidence next week that we did in the opening period on Tuesday we're in with a shout. Get in Hearts faces and see how they handle it. Fans will be right on their case if they don't start well. Conviction in front of goal required as well though!

17 minutes ago, Kyle said:

That sky interview is basically 5 minutes of nothing. I wouldn't be very open with Kris Boyd either tbh 

At least it’s allowed the worlds angriest fan to have yet another meltdown on twitter.

15 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

At least it’s allowed the worlds angriest fan to have yet another meltdown on twitter.

Wild 🤣 not only have they replied, but there’s a quote tweet too

Rawr

Edited by PSJ.84

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Whilst I understand he was only appointed late on in the season, I struggle to swallow the whole 'behind the 8 ball' piece. We're meant to be a top flight club with some semblance of structure, what the f**k was Gus doing all that time? Still, first 2 signings appear to be decent regardless.

How much crossover do you think there would be between Davidson targets and MacLean targets?

Up until April theyd have been looking for Davidson targets. If you say it takes 3/4 months to properly scout a player then theyll potentially only be starting to really know their shortlist now, which obviously puts you well behind clubs who've been creating lists since January, if not earlier.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much crossover do you think there would be between Davidson targets and MacLean targets?

Up until April theyd have been looking for Davidson targets. If you say it takes 3/4 months to properly scout a player then theyll potentially only be starting to really know their shortlist now, which obviously puts you well behind clubs who've been creating lists since January, if not earlier.

In theory, given MacLean and McPherson were part of the process with Davidson, the cross over should be pretty high. In practice, I suspect both Davidsons style and approach vs MacLeans means there will be very little.

Dare I say, this is exactly why clubs have structures with DoF's and head of recruitment, so you don't get a hard reset any time the head coach/manager changes.

I think maybe Davidson was more willing to take players offered to him and for MacLean he is more particular, which is good, but not necessarily when we're are as many bodies down as we are.

If I'm being honest, I think Macca needs to be less open about signings if anything, (I understand he is just saying what is true) as it seems we have been 'pretty close' to a 3rd signing for quite a while now. Deals fall through all the time, which is why more experienced managers keep a lid on it until it is done. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

59 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stylistically and going by everything Macca has said so far you wouldn't think there is much crossover. 

I admit I've zero insight into the mechanics of the scouting process, but I'd have assumed they're fishing in pretty much the same pool as before/usual and they'd have the data available, and it's a case of looking at the pile that Davidson discarded! Over-simplifying it no doubt, but I can't see that it would be starting at ground zero.

I'd say that if anything, any slow recruitment is attributable to waiting on league status confirmation.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

It's not like football manager when it comes to recruitment. There are some complexities to it 

Indeed. I wish Macca would stop saying there's deals in place or something will be completed within the next couple of days. Appreciate he's only answering honestly from his perspective but that's a few times now he's been burned. 

8 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

he's still going. Is that a grown adult? 

Bairn toys out the pram behavior. 

Everyone was disappointed by what does this kind of nonsense achieve other than making a complete fool of himself?!

@FrankChickens1? You okay babe?

Edited by 1985Saint

12 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

he's still going. Is that a grown adult? 

Bairn toys out the pram behavior. 

Everyone was disappointed by what does this kind of nonsense achieve other than making a complete fool of himself?!

£100 seems like it would be an under 20s season ticket? Absolutely wild behaviour nonetheless 

Edit - maybe not. 

Fair play to the club for actually refunding it

Edited by PSJ.84