Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

As a 16 year old (is that his age?) CB being chucked in for your first game you’d hope the experienced defender (and captain) next to you would talk you through the game and cover for any nervy/inexperienced moments … rather than look just as lost as you in a game against Stirling Albion. I feel for him and hope his confidence isn’t completely wrecked. 

‘LG’ becoming a serious issue in this team. 

Parkers 19.

Maclean did say yesterday post match that he now knows what experiences ones aren't good enough. If you're looking at the competitive league cup games in isolation, the one who's looked most out of his depth is Gordon and that's been against teams in all 3 of the divisions below. 

We've lost so many goals like the first one in the last 18 months. 4-5 defensive bodies in the box 1-2 attacking players in there yet none of the defenders are actually picking up the attacking players. 

You all can't defend the space, someone has got to go with the runner. 

After watching the second goal I wonder if Brown's sub is more a reflection on him than his fitness. Wtf was he doing? 🤦‍♂️

10 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

We are still in the competition we lost the leg not the qualifier.  You boys just got shagged at home 4-0 to part time stirling to exit the league cup.

Just quoting this for posterity

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Fans of clubs looking in, we knew this was going to happen 18 months ago, it's not news to us.

Steve Brown(known as bulletproof) took the huff while chairman, it's his dads club and he couldn't/didn't want to run it. He put a glorified salesman pal, who's only football credentials were he coached a couple of amateur teams in charge, he's known as Flax. Flax as all salesmen are, was a complete gobshite, who would tell you what he thought you wanted to hear, as well as being totally incapable of doing the actual job he blabbed his way into. Bulletproof, now concentrating on his 2 bob sparky business, which ironically his dad gave him too, tells Flax he's the man dealing with everything and has free reign to use the cash from player sales and our rainy day fund to let 'The Hobbit' (Davidson) build his dream team. Now the hobbit is a glorified cone collector and he's actually a good one of those, god I wished he'd stayed doing that. Anyway he doesn't have a clue about how to build a side so just picked a formation and stuck to it, shame he didn't have any players who could play it. The daft c**t couldn't even bring in players to play it. He brought in guys he had heard about, guys who he had played against, problem is he was in his 40s so most of these players were past it. He did supplement it with players who either played for Millwall or that their manager knew, which was nice. Showed he had loads of contacts in the game. Flax, wanting to please the hobbit, and with his new sense of worth and authority sanctioned everything the cone collector wanted and at any price. Saints were agents/clubs/players dream, the daft gruesome twosome have tag teamed the decades second most successful club. The fans have voiced their concerns, put banners up and even fucking boycotted. Eventually change has happened and I for one am fucking delighted.  

Brilliant and spot on!

Time to take our medicine.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can only speak for myself, but my issue was the amount of over 30s and the fact we were giving them 2yr deals, rather than the quality of them. I could see why he signed virtually all of them but it was just too much in terms of numbers in the squad, and money spent in wages, to also allow a younger squad to come through.

It was always going to be tough for Davidson as he was always going to need to create a new "core", but as you say he missed the boat in his first Summer and was chasing his tail ever since. I think his plan was to go for younger ones this Summer with the ageing ones signed last Summer as a base, but you simply couldnt trust him to follow up on that once we started struggling again. 

I do worry MacLean is going too far in the other direction in terms of the overall squad, and still think someone like Wotherspoon shouldve been kept on for another season to help a transition, but signing players who are in their mid-20s with 100+ senior games when youve already got 5+ senior experienced players feels a really sensible approach to squad building to balance everything out.

Seems like you've given Considine the deal we were heavily criticised for not giving him.

One thing that Saints fans complain about is managers not being very animated on the touchline. I'm not sure it makes a blind bit of difference how much shouting the manager does from his wee box. Just seen people I know going on about it and some using it as a reason why they should sack him? 🤦‍♂️

If you just spend the whole time shouting instructions, eventually people stop listening. Half the time the players can't hear you anyway.

5 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Seems like you've given Considine the deal we were heavily criticised for not giving him.

Aye. Because Davidson is a fool and Goodwin,for all his faults, could at least tell he was absolutely done at this level.

8 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I dont think it was particularly hard for players/agents to get what they wanted.

So I’ve had some time to reflect on yesterday and whilst it was abundantly clear we were playing it as a friendly, Stirling to their absolute credit deserved to beat us and convincingly at that. So all praise goes to then firstly and I wish them well in the next round, hope they get a good draw and they’re a great club from my previous experiences. 

Ok, where to begin. I’ll get the slight excuse out the way first and foremost, injuries are seriously hampering the squad right now. There that’s it, the only slight excuse the squad and management get and even then we should have won the group with what was available. 

I’ll start with the keeper. I think Sinclair whilst having potential still had a lot to learn. That’s not his fault he’s a 21 year old keeper who won’t hit his prime for almost a decade. If there was any doubts as to why Mitov has been brought in as number 1, yesterday should have seen those squashed. Not that Mitov being in goals would have made a difference to the result, but he’d have been calmer and a more assuring presence, something for Sinclair to work upon for sure, that and communicating with his defenders. Hopefully he takes that on board. 

Defenders next, Brown played like a player who hadn’t played any matches in a while so I can almost I’ve him a pass. Suspect the plan was always to give him 45 minutes. Equally the formation yesterday (narrow) doesn’t help him, he’ll be fine with Wright in front of him. Gallacher is probably the only senior player who I think has gone up in what I was expecting. Yes he’s got his issues I’ve spoken about them before, but he is at least looking competent and again with a solid centreback next to him and a winger ahead of him he’ll be fine, nothing more nothing less. Ok, now the big issues the centre backs. Gordon needs to pull his head out his ass, if he’s as big a fan as he claims to be he knows he’s played abysmal for 18 months now. He’s only in the team because we’ve nobody else, but it’s gotten to the point where I’d rather see Considine or McGowan in there ahead of him. Parker, I have some sympathy for, he looked like a kid playing against seasoned pros, but that doesn’t excuse shelling the ball out of play repeatedly under no pressure. It’ll be a lesson for him and I hope a load somewhere does him good. 

I’ll keep the midfield section shorter (I hope). Dan Phillips cannot play that deepest role, he’s not got the discipline and is too rash to win the ball back. He’s better going box to box without doubt. Ferguson needs to go out on loan, that much is for sure. He’s got ability (I think) but I think he took the wrong option every time yesterday. That being said he’s clearly better driving forward and playing with his back to goal isn’t his game. Ballantyne was awful as well, not sure a single pass found a man at all, I appreciate his energy but he’s reminding me of Gary MacDonald which is worrying. As for Max, he’s got ability and technical awareness, but I think RG has hit it on the head, he needs to produce things when he gets forward. It’s almost like he’s scared to give the ball away, I’d rather that trying something than meekly giving it away. He’s also a little too predictable and needs to look at Carey to see that you can go outside as well as cutting back. 

Now the forwards. Jephcott isn’t match fit that much is for sure, he’s shown enough with his back to goal to show he can link play, ironically he’s the only one playing passes in behind defenders. I think he’ll be a decent addition but he needs to get a yard sharper. As for Stevie May, if we get forwards back (not any time soon though) he needs a spell on the bench. Same as Gordon he’s only in the team by virtue of us having nobody else. He’s back to his infuriating best of hiding and shirking every physical battle and whilst he should have been judged onside yesterday, he’s not even hitting the ball with any conviction. I think this year has to be his last as harsh as that sounds, as good a servant as he’s been for saints, we need to look for better. I don’t think he gets a game for any other team in the league put it that way. 

Where do we go from here, who knows. Does MacLean have it in him to illicit a reaction, well he hasn’t so far. I don’t think we’ve got the midfielders fit right now to play with a central 2, I think we need an extra body on there and if that means going one up front for a bit of time until we get players in and back then so be it. If we’re going to improve and survive this season we do need to play more practical as right now we’re far far too open and it’s so easy to get at our defenders and through the middle. Still I’ll be there on Saturday to see what MacLean does, I suspect the team will look different in terms of formation and at least 5/6 changes but I’m not sure that’ll be enough.  

Hope Callum Davidson enjoyed his golf at Blairgowrie yesterday. The fruits of his reign laid bare for all to see - 4 fucking nil to Stirling Albion.  Due to context Kelty will always be worse, but in terms of a singular game, the worst result in my lifetime. MacLean might not be the right man, but I sure as hell don’t envy the job he’s got on his hands. 

10 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Hope Callum Davidson enjoyed his golf at Blairgowrie yesterday. The fruits of his reign laid bare for all to see - 4 fucking nil to Stirling Albion.  Due to context Kelty will always be worse, but in terms of a singular game, the worst result in my lifetime. MacLean might not be the right man, but I sure as hell don’t envy the job he’s got on his hands. 

I'm sure he did. While very likely still being paid by St Johnstone.

5 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

The second goal you conceded is just harrowing.

I watched it a couple of times just to understand wtf was going on and how he manages to have so much space. Brown is miles out wide and just jogs slowly back. He needs to tuck back in and get into position much more urgently and he just doesn't bother his arse. 

Subbed at half time. People think that was planned, not sure myself... I think he was hauled off like Parker. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe