Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Derry Alli said:

dance moms drinking GIF by RealityTVGIFs

To be fair I am on the Malt at the moment. However he always seems to score against us. 

Look forward to visiting Dens again. I am on my second by now 😛. We have no forwards to speak of.  Where is Craig Tanner when you need him 🙌

I haven’t closely been following what’s going on in football outwith Saints this summer. I didn’t even know European qualifiers had taken place. 
So after reading comments on here, I went to the bbc site to check results from Thursday night and saw Hibs had lost a qualifier;  there were even ‘highlights’…

Lost to a  team playing at a leisure centre! Visions of them turning up being handed a key for changing room 4.

@HibsFan @Hoose Rice   Fair play for coming on here today lads, that takes guts. 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Lost to a  team playing at a leisure centre! Visions of them turning up being handed a key for changing room 4.

To be fair to the Andorran facilities they do have a better scoreboard than the one at McDairmid.

Today we lost to a team that don't have player names on the back of their shirts.

Again.

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

To be fair to the Andorran facilities they do have a better scoreboard than the one at McDairmid.

Today we lost to a team that don't have player names on the back of their shirts.

Again.

Edit - just realised that this seems a wee bit salty. It's not. Genuinely well done to the Binos, hope they get a good draw.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I haven’t closely been following what’s going on in football outwith Saints this summer. I didn’t even know European qualifiers had taken place. 
So after reading comments on here, I went to the bbc site to check results from Thursday night and saw Hibs had lost a qualifier;  there were even ‘highlights’…

@HibsFan @Hoose Rice   Fair play for coming on here today lads, that takes guts. 

We are still in the competition we lost the leg not the qualifier.  You boys just got shagged at home 4-0 to part time stirling to exit the league cup.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seen mention our losses last season were close to £2m.

That should put into context why Davidson was punted before he could build another squad, and why theres sympathy from Saints fans towards MacLean with the situation hes in.

No money to spend, trying to half the size of your squad, while also having to deal with multiple high earners sticking around despite being liabilities.

£2m is wild.

My perception of St. Johnstone is that they are perpetually slow to make their move in the transfer market so it's pretty wild to think they've accrued a squad as big as 40 bodies. Add to this that when they do make moves, particularly in the last 12-18 months, the majority of their singings were early to mid 30s who you felt were maybe moving for a slightly lesser wage 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

£2m is wild.

My perception of St. Johnstone is that they are perpetually slow to make their move in the transfer market so it's pretty wild to think they've accrued a squad as big as 40 bodies. Add to this that when they do make moves, particularly in the last 12-18 months, the majority of their singings were early to mid 30s who you felt were maybe moving for a slightly lesser wage 

They didn't get a slightly lesser wage though. They were given multi year deals on decent wages. Wild.

Manager and coconspirator upstairs have been relieved of their duties now though.

26 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

We are still in the competition we lost the leg not the qualifier.  You boys just got shagged at home 4-0 to part time stirling to exit the league cup.

Indeed.

There's shite and then there  is really shite.

Edited by FTOF

34 minutes ago, Hoose Rice said:

We are still in the competition we lost the leg not the qualifier.  You boys just got shagged at home 4-0 to part time stirling hi to exit the league cup.

WRONG. We lost to stenhousemuir and ayr to exit the league cup, losing 4-0 at home to league one Stirling Albion was just a massive boot in the baws. Sure showed you 🤢

Edited by Kyle

It really don't think it's about Gordon. If the manager was unhappy with him he wouldn't be wearing the armband still. 

Likewise with May. He would have been subbed much earlier if the manager was extremely angry with him. 

Phillips without doubt though it was directed at. He was horrendous and didn't exactly show the body language or attitude to improve things either. 

Was also clearly about Parker. Hence his withdrawal at half time. He was struggling. Might explain Brown's half time sub either. Hard to tell if that was because it's all he had in his legs or the manager was fucked off with him. 

Ferguson, Max and Ballantyne didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either. Ballantyne has probably a bit more credit in the bank than the other two as he's at least played well in other games. The other two haven't shown much at all. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suspect we start next week like...

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Wright - Phillips - McGowan - Ballantyne - Carey

May

Let’s hope Wright and Carey are both fit, any mention of Wrights absence? Might have missed anything on it.

Just now, Saint DBL said:

Let’s hope Wright and Carey are both fit, any mention of Wrights absence? Might have missed anything on it.

Courier saying he picked up a knock earlier this week but should be fine for next week 

34 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

£2m is wild.

We signed Considine directly from Aberdeen (and I think they offered him a  deal initially too), McGowan from Kuwait and Carey from a good level in Bulgaria. Maybe wouldn't have been so damaging, but we gave all 3 2 year deals.  I've heard some pretty eye watering wage figures for some of the players signed in earlier windows too, some of whom now gone, others not (still lingering like a curry fart) . We also spent a good amount of cash on transfers fees, being outsmarted by St Mirren for Macpherson being one of the fees we paid. That £2m figure - if it is true - is as much down to sheer incompetence as anything else. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We signed Considine directly from Aberdeen (and I think they offered him a  deal initially too), McGowan from Kuwait and Carey from a good level in Bulgaria. Maybe wouldn't have been so damaging, but we gave all 3 2 year deals.  I've heard some pretty eye watering wage figures for some of the players signed in earlier windows too, some of whom now gone, others not (still lingering like a curry fart) . We also spent a good amount of cash on transfers fees, being outsmarted by St Mirren for Macpherson being one of the fees we paid. That £2m figure - if it is true - is as much down to sheer incompetence as anything else. 

Oh aye I forgot!

That was one of my favourite things we've ever done. Usually it's us looking like halfwits so being canny for once was very enjoyable.

I think a lot of St. Johnstone fans last season did lament the signing of so many guys over 30 and giving them two year deals. In isolation, it's not necessarily a bad strategy. A two year contract to provide stability and experience is not in itself a bad thing.

Replicate this 3, 4, 5 times through a window and it's and issue though. Especially if you aren't willing to play hardball and give guys like this a bit less than they have become accustomed to in their careers. Many of you did express concern about how these deals would pan out in year two and possibly even beyond when legs started to go and one pre-season too many took effect so it's interesting to see that it appears that the issue so many supporters could predict happening is now unfolding in real time.