Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Aylo vanal said:

Did you guys have a full team out?😬

Half and half from the start. Gordon, May, Gallagher, Jepchot, Brown "Senior players" then the rest inexperienced young lads with single digit number of starts each for Saints. 

That's not an excuse though. The younger players need to produce better than what we just seen. 

5 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

I'd imagine Geoff Brown will be asking Steven MacLean that very question come Monday morning.

Doubt it. Brown's not really involved in any day to day running of the club anymore. 

Geoff has an honorary role on the board and that's all now. 80 year old. 

Even prior to stepping down Steve wasn't there day to day either. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Wonder who is the target of the comments about not taking opportunity? 

Kind of feel like Max and Sinclair can be the only ones, with the others either too young to be blamed or too established, probably including Ballantyne already. I guess Ferguson maybe? If the test was whether they're good enough to not be loaned out. 

25 minutes ago, Aylo vanal said:

Did you guys have a full team out?😬

Suspect we start next week like...

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Wright - Phillips - McGowan - Ballantyne - Carey

May

So 5 changes and a change of shape. Only 2 who started today aren't likely to be competing for a starting spot though. Liam Parker the CB and Alex Ferguson in CM, both probably out on loan again.

24 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

My overarching view continues to be he simply won't go far in the game being that easily pushed off the ball. It's especially important to be able to hold defenders off when in possession for him because he lacks any pace whatsoever as well. 

Also, he should stop just throwing himself to the ground on the regular. Especially when he's been so meekly pushed aside. 

Yeah it'll become a bigger issue in the top flight too when hes even more isolated against folk. Can only see him being played deeper alongside a McGowan or Phillips now, he was just a complete disappointment in the final 3rd in these games from what I saw (I missed Alloa). 

3 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Kind of feel like Max and Sinclair can be the only ones, with the others either too young to be blamed or too established, probably including Ballantyne already. I guess Ferguson maybe? If the test was whether they're good enough to not be loaned out. 

Sinclair and Max obvious ones who disappointed and were likely talking about being first choice. Do wonder if Ballantynes another. Talk about us signing an attacking CM maybe had him saying he could be good enough, yet he completely vanished today.

I took the comment about senior players to be almost wholly thrown at Gordon tbh.

4 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Ferguson & Parker have to be the main ones from the youth perspective. Phillips I reckon is the senior player who's being referred to I think as he was awful. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suspect we start next week like...

Mitov

Brown - Gordon - Considine - Gallacher

Wright - Phillips - McGowan - Ballantyne - Carey

May

So 5 changes and a change of shape. Only 2 who started today aren't likely to be competing for a starting spot though. Liam Parker the CB and Alex Ferguson in CM, both probably out on loan again.

Yeah it'll become a bigger issue in the top flight too when hes even more isolated against folk. Can only see him being played deeper alongside a McGowan or Phillips now, he was just a complete disappointment in the final 3rd in these games from what I saw (I missed Alloa). 

Sinclair and Max obvious ones who disappointed and were likely talking about being first choice. Do wonder if Ballantynes another. Talk about us signing an attacking CM maybe had him saying he could be good enough, yet he completely vanished today.

I took the comment about senior players to be almost wholly thrown at Gordon tbh.

At least this might keep you off various other teams threads for a few days ?

@RandomGuy.tagging you rather than quoting your post cause it's long and it's a nightmare deleting stuff when posting on the phone. 

I think he'd be absolutely mad NOT to go with the shape you suggested. Extra man in midfield, get a foothold in possession. Try and make it difficult to be played through and provide a bit more protection to our wobbly back line.

It also allows for going longer from the goalkeeper and picking up second ball possession to then play from there. 

When you build a team you start from the back. Regardless of how good or bad your defenders are, the way you coach them and set them up has a huge bearing on how effective they are, way more so than any other area of the park.   I don’t know who is responsible for shaping our defence currently, but I’m not confident at all. 

The one thing you could say about Callum Davidson over the 10 years he was coaching/ managing Saints, was that he could organise a defence.

Not great at spotting players, negative football etc etc, but always felt we had a chance of scraping points, no matter how lacking in entertainment.

I certainly don’t long for the eye bleeding fare of much of the past 2 years, but I hate comedy football even more. A team that doesn’t look like it knows what it’s meant to be doing, is easy to score against; like a stereotypical Hibs type team that plays a few pretty passes in midfield but is completely heartless and without direction.

We’ve been beaten 3 times by lower league teams without scoring, with ever worsening results. I fear a car crash result next week unless we suddenly get a load of players fit, or make a few significant signings.. and without a Lindsay Hamilton sending off to hide behind this time round.

Hope I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagar said:

Major trophies in last 10 years.

Wee  club St. Johnstone 3

Big club Hibernian 1

Out of 10 worst Scottish results in Europe

Hibernian 2 St. Johnstone 0.

Yeah! St. Johnstone heading to their rightful position!

Ahh, putting timescales on honours won, the mark of a tinpot club.

Edited by johnnydun

Today our main attacking threat was to have Parker throw long throws into the box! He will not be in the team (Did not even make the second half FFS) so why not at least try a few things that we might use in the future! 

Ballantyne just has no winning tackle in him !

Jephcott just another Grahame Jones for me !

We are fucked !

I don't think Ballantyne offers enough, or is anywhere near mobile enough, to play in a 2 in the centre of the park. You could probably get away with playing him in a 3, but I just don't see enough in him to think there's a decent Premier League midfielder there. It's got so bad, I'm actually now thinking mcpherson will make a positive impact.

The centre of defence and centre midfield are hugely concerning. As are the full backs, wingers and strikers, if I'm being honest.... 

Edited by Nelly78

On 27/07/2023 at 08:07, Center half said:

Id expect our Full team / strongest 11 will be on show!  I'd not worry to much though, you guys will still overrun our midfield any cross into our penalty area your strikers will be unchallenged and should get on the end of them and also as long as your defenders don't panic and give away a penalty kick you should win this!  

Wonder if the Albion management team read my earlier post 😅

21 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

@RandomGuy.tagging you rather than quoting your post cause it's long and it's a nightmare deleting stuff when posting on the phone. 

I think he'd be absolutely mad NOT to go with the shape you suggested. Extra man in midfield, get a foothold in possession. Try and make it difficult to be played through and provide a bit more protection to our wobbly back line.

It also allows for going longer from the goalkeeper and picking up second ball possession to then play from there. 

I think he'll just go 4-3-3 with McGowan in there in the hope it makes us more solid.

Thats assuming Brown isn't out though, as then McGowan has to go to right back.

Do have the fear that a lot of the softer personalities in our squad might spend a fair bit injured this season trying to hide.

Seen mention our losses last season were close to £2m.

That should put into context why Davidson was punted before he could build another squad, and why theres sympathy from Saints fans towards MacLean with the situation hes in.

No money to spend, trying to half the size of your squad, while also having to deal with multiple high earners sticking around despite being liabilities.