Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Has anyone got the season ticket to stay loaded on their app?

Had to turn on data & reload every time so far.

Is a screenshot ok?

Screen shot works fine load of people outside having trouble loading QR code in the Bermuda Triangle that is  McD 

If you're going to play a lone striker then: 

1. He needs to hold the ball up;
  2. He needs to be fast; OR
  3. You need fast/capable wingers. 

We don't have a fit striker capable of 1 or 2, and we don't have a team with capable wingers. This is why I feel it's shortsighted evaluating Jephcott at this stage; we lack the requisite personnel to facilitate or supply a striker like Jephcott. 

Actually, I suspect this is partly why Bair failed as well; our style of play sets him up to fail. Evaluating Jephcott in a team without wingers or capable attacking midfielders is like evaluating a bicycle without wheels. I suspect Clark would create a more suitable enironment for Jephcott to flourish, but you'd still need a more consistent and effective supply from the flanks/midfield. 

Not watched the game back but overriding feeling during and after was there was plenty effort, commitment etc.

Felt like we didn't show enough in possession though. Didn't manage to complete many passes that really troubled Hearts. In our better performances last season we were able to find May in the wider channel peeling off the central defender to move the team up the park and couldn't seem to find him.

Gordon's chance the big moment. He timed his run well, delivery was a belter. It wasn't an easy chance though. 

It's at least made me feel a bit more positive about next Saturday. 

We couldnt keep the ball so im not sure how much a front two wouldve helped us, as Jephcott doesnt look great in the air either.

Feel like all it wouldve done is open us up even more in midfield as Hearts were overloading us in there anyway.

We needed players to step and try and keep the ball yesterday but they all seemed to just panic in possession or simply not want it under any pressure, so im not sure how much you can change tactically to help that.

In terms of the flow of the game it was largely what I expected. Hearts have better players than us and I expected them to have (a lot) more ball.

Saints offered what I was looking for in terms of being organised, working hard and winning battles... until the opening goal.

To beat a team like Hearts, we can't make a mistake like that. 

At the other end, I was expecting our main opportunities to come from set plays and I think that's what presented itself but a little bit of a lack of belief or desire to get that final touch was evident.

We need to improve in the final third but I wasn't anticipating it being much better than it was yesterday. To have pinched a result we needed to not make a mistake and capitalise on a set play.

We'll have more opportunity to play next weekend but that needs to be married with the defensive resolve again.

On the more important issues, I get absolutely nothing on my phone from about 2:45pm until I'm well clear of the stadium.

Yet the kid in front of me was on her phone all game...

Switching to 3G used to work but even that is goosed now.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

On the more important issues, I get absolutely nothing on my phone from about 2:45pm until I'm well clear of the stadium.

Yet the kid in front of me was on her phone all game...

Switching to 3G used to work but even that is goosed now.

Ive been getting 5G in the ground this season, fwiw.

34 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

My feeling yesterday was we should have withdrawn Ballantyne earlier and put Jephcott on for him, with May playing deeper but getting up to support Jephcott as much as he could.

Id have started May for Bally tbh,and support Luke as you say,think Smith will be a shoe in for Bally now 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

We need to improve in the final third but I wasn't anticipating it being much better than it was yesterday. To have pinched a result we needed to not make a mistake and capitalise on a set play.

Sounds so much like the last two years