Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Widge said:

That graphic shows you in a nutshell what Cammy Ballantyne doesn't bring to the team. How can a professional midfielder complete 3 passes in virtually 90 minutes, that's criminal!

Also shows how un attacking most of those passes are. 3 of the 5 midfielders didn't complete a pass into the box and the two from defenders into the final 5th of the pitch were long diagonals.

How's everyone heading to Dingwall at the weekend?

Distinct lack of viable transport options.

The one supporters bus is full.

Train home doesn't get back to Perth until an obscene time as the first train leaving Dingwall after the game leaves at 10 to 8. It's also £42 return. 

Driving obviously...

Just now, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

How's everyone heading to Dingwall at the weekend?

Distinct lack of viable transport options.

The one supporters bus is full.

Train home doesn't get back to Perth until an obscene time as the first train leaving Dingwall after the game leaves at 10 to 8. It's also £42 return. 

Driving obviously...

Walking...

The poor bus service between Inverness and Dingwall doesn't help either as usually doesn't join up with megabus arriving. 

Talk of Saints fans sticking behind Macca is valid and hopefully most do so, but we need to quickly address our lack of any attacking play.

It’s been a feature of St Johnstone matches, even going back to the latter half of Tommy Wright’s time (with the exception of the first half of the Kennedy-Drey debut season), that home matches have been woefully short on entertainment.

We’ve tolerated more than our fair share of inept uninspiring attacking at McDiarmid over these years.  Last Saturday was understandable given the circumstances and LC campaign, but we can’t be delivering passing stats and an absolute lack of beating an opponent 1v1 like Saturday’s very often. 

Win some lose some so be it, and finish bottom six fair enough, but give us a bit of entertainment along the way ffs.

Peak MOH and Danny Swanson seem a lifetime away from what we’ve become accustomed to.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Peak MOH and Danny Swanson seem a lifetime away from what we’ve become accustomed to.

Swanson types seem to be dying from the game completely, tbf.

Attacking midfielders now seem to Ballantyne-esque "hard working, follow instructions to the letter", or Max-esque "use your ability to keep possession at all costs" types.

Chubby wee blokes just wandering around outside of tactics and trying anything to win a match are likely now resigned to the lower tiers.

Even at the very elite level you get Messi in that type of role sauntering around and when hes gone there'll be nothing like it. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Swanson types seem to be dying from the game completely, tbf.

Attacking midfielders now seem to Ballantyne-esque "hard working, follow instructions to the letter", or Max-esque "use your ability to keep possession at all costs" types.

Chubby wee blokes just wandering around outside of tactics and trying anything to win a match are likely now resigned to the lower tiers.

Even at the very elite level you get Messi in that type of role sauntering around and when hes gone there'll be nothing like it. 

Yes there are definitely less of them, but these things often come and go and in a few years we might see individual ability more fashionable again.

Though I agree that the chubby wee baller type will be harder to justify unless they’re absolute stand outs. It’s more likely your pound shop mbappe or Saint Maxima types who beat opponents as much with pace and athleticism as ability.

The game is poorer for it though. A bit of a maverick that could be painfully frustrating one minute then win you the match with that one moment of brilliance.

It used to be players that you always felt were that bit better than those around them. That you felt should probably be playing at a higher level if only they could be arsed putting a bit more effort in.

Spoiler

Pep ruined it all

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes there are definitely less of them, but these things often come and go and in a few years we might see individual ability more fashionable again.

Though I agree that the chubby wee baller type will be harder to justify unless they’re absolute stand outs. It’s more likely your pound shop mbappe or Saint Maxima types who beat opponents as much with pace and athleticism as ability.

Aye. Seen a "discussion" on Twitter the other day were some folk tried to claim Vinicius Jr at Real Madrid is as exciting to watch as Ronaldinho was. His highlight reel is effectively just cutbacks after running to the byline, running at folk at pace, sometimes a wee chop to cut inside. 

Mbappe is just someone I don't enjoy. Clearly class, clearly an incredible talent for his age, but him winning multiple "World Player of the Year" awards once Messi vanishes will feel a bit shit to me. Even worse if its Haaland that does it.

Think you're right about Pep ruining it, or at least the Spanish. There definitely seems to be a generation of coaches who now think players have to fit the style of play they want to play or they're useless, and so create players to do that, and thats somehow filtered down to all levels.

Its why I don't mind Carey as a winger for us, hes got glimpes of that in him and I'll die on the hill that every side needs someone in attack who just simply does not give a f**k if they lose the ball.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's horrendous reading both in completed pass numbers and accuracy.

How can you make less than one successful pass per minute even with only a third of possession? 

By never playing out from the back while having Stevie May alone up front, I guess.

Feels a good move.

Looked good in pre-season but then overawed in the Stirling game (which is understandable).

Entering senior football at that level is great for someone his age and hopefully he can get some game time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye. Seen a "discussion" on Twitter the other day were some folk tried to claim Vinicius Jr at Real Madrid is as exciting to watch as Ronaldinho was. His highlight reel is effectively just cutbacks after running to the byline, running at folk at pace, sometimes a wee chop to cut inside. 

Mbappe is just someone I don't enjoy. Clearly class, clearly an incredible talent for his age, but him winning multiple "World Player of the Year" awards once Messi vanishes will feel a bit shit to me. Even worse if its Haaland that does it.

Think you're right about Pep ruining it, or at least the Spanish. There definitely seems to be a generation of coaches who now think players have to fit the style of play they want to play or they're useless, and so create players to do that, and thats somehow filtered down to all levels.

Its why I don't mind Carey as a winger for us, hes got glimpes of that in him and I'll die on the hill that every side needs someone in attack who just simply does not give a f**k if they lose the ball.

Agree with everything you say.

Watching Ronaldinho clips reminds you why you fell in love with football. Folk that can argue a Vinicius jr type is on a par are watching a different game, regardless of how effective he obviously is.

With what we’ve got available to us, I think we have to find ways of playing to Carey’s strengths more, as he is the closest to a creative player we have. If the rest of the team are fetchers and carriers so be it. Carey actually wants the ball at his feet, whereas I feel most of our players just want to get rid of it without making a mistake.

MacLean saying we're not signing Krasniqi as he wants a box-to-box type.

I'd have thought we'd have wanted another sitting midfielder. Not entirely sure what his preferred formation / midfield personnel is? 

Edited by monkfish

5 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I'd have thought we'd have wanted another sitting midfielder. Not entirely sure what his preferred formation / midfield personnel is? 

I think he's looking for someone to play instead of Ballantyne. 

Someone who'll run beyond the centre forward I think. 

Think Hallberg when he was brought down by Mulgrew when he was sent off. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

3 minutes ago, monkfish said:

4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

Guess he sees Smith as starting in both, and he excelled as a deeper CM in a 2 at Doncaster in a 4-2-3-1 so should be able to play it.

My thoughts on his thoughts are you then add McGowan in as a holding midfielder in the 4-3-3.

Then you get another agile CM in to play the 3rd CM role, and beside Smith in the 4-4-2.

That should be Phillips but hes been underwhelming so far, while hes maybe just run out of patience with MacPhersons injuries too.

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Fair question but don't think it's a disaster that neither we, nor indeed the manager, know the answer yet.

If he wants to play two strikers - and as a result two CMs - then they need to be able to get about the pitch.

If he's playing Smith (the passer?) and McGowan or Phillips (destroyer) then does he need someone to get up in support of a striker but also do their shift in midfield? Essentially someone to compete with Ballantyne. He obviously likes him but going from where he was a few months ago to playing 30 plus games this season is a big ask.