Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Izzy Jones going from unable to get into our side as a winger, to one of the most in demand wing backs in the EFL, within a few years is one of the weirdest things i can remember happening.

He never even missed the chance at Ayr really, he just fell over when clean through.

Did show that Tommy Wright could spot a player when he had to! 

8 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Aye, who plays wing back now?

Brown? Then irony there if MacLean spends ages saying "his team" will be different to Davidsons, only to play 5-3-2 with Brown as a wing back every week...

Costelloe? Could we have him and Carey as the wing backs?

If Wright is out for a long period and he wants to stick to the shape. Exactly like the reasons mentioned above by RG he'll probably need to go out into the free agent market and bring someone in. 

The difference at the moment between this version of 5 at the back is he is playing attacking winger types on both sides so in possession it could have the potential to be an attacking threat. its also looking like it has the potential to be much more solid with the midfield options in front. Macca isn't leaving playing just 2 in there like Davidson did which often resulted in them being isolated, especially if one was caught a bit out of position or dragged out wide etc. 

If though you end up with the back 3 offering basically zero in possession as well as the right wing back offering nothing going forward then it simply wont work long term. The right hand side becomes very easy to defend against as we all know watching Brown toil away out there. 

There's bound to be a few decent free agents out there. Whether they'd fancy Saints and whether we'd have the money to spend is a different question.  Any suggestions, anyone?

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'm still unable to work out what Callum Davidson means when he says things.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 21.56.01.png

Perhaps that's a good thing.

Can't figure out if thst draw is good for us or not. Time will tell I'm sure, but if we are to avoid relegation, these are two of the sides we need to be in and about.

BTW, heard a bit of Davidson on radio Scotland covering the game. Oooft. 

9 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I'm still unable to work out what Callum Davidson means when he says things.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 21.56.01.png

Perhaps that's a good thing.

think hes trying to say that sometimes teams in bad form just simply have to grind out a point to find their way again. You do see it a lot where teams go "back to basics". 

Quite why that relates to a Dundee side who hadnt lost their previous 2 games and have only lost to Celtic since August, i dunno though. A draw isnt a good result for them really since they were at home too.

You often catch glimpses of how standards seemed to slip under him though, if hes been praising the squad for draws while in bad runs. 

7 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Can't figure out if thst draw is good for us or not. Time will tell I'm sure, but if we are to avoid relegation, these are two of the sides we need to be in and about.

Aye its too early to know really, but i think thats us now unable to catch anyone with a win for the first time this season, which feels like a situation you want out of quickly.

We cant really afford to end up 6+ points behind as there doesnt look like another side who'll be going many months without a win.

Suppose you dont overthink it every week and just go for a points tally. 38 is guaranteed safety most seasons IMO, so aim for that. So think about 34pts in 30 games and dont care about anything else until the winter break when you reevaluate your points target.

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Sounds like McGowan’s back in the squad this weekend 

Just seen the interview 😂

Enjoyed MacLean claiming its because McGowan has trained well and earned the spot back, and not the fact that McClellands injury means we have literally no other CB options outwith the starting line up except McGowan.

8 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

BTW, heard a bit of Davidson on radio Scotland covering the game. Oooft. 

It could be good for us. But unless we start winning games it doesn't fucking matter. 

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just seen the interview 😂

Enjoyed MacLean claiming its because McGowan has trained well and earned the spot back, and not the fact that McClellands injury means we have literally no other CB options outwith the starting line up except McGowan.

Did he specify McGowan? Courier just talks about players that have been out of the squad.

Crawford to start Saturday.