Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think there were positives yesterday. Firstly, we once again tried to play football against a better side than us, yes we got caught high a few times, but Phillips and Smith's ability to take the ball in a tight area and spin a man is something we've missed since Chris Millar. Add to that, the fact that Jaisaymi appears to be able to play football as well it helped us get up the pitch quickly which was great to see. Secondly, not sure I can fault the back 3 or keeper at all. Luke Robinson is fastly becoming a very very important player for us and it's easy to forget he's still really young, he's improving every game either at centreback or left wing back. Gordon deserves praise as well for his recent upturn in form, he's gone back to the basics and testament to him that Kyogo didn't get a sniff all game essentially. 

No as easy as it is to be positive about the game, there are clearly still issues. Costelloe is not a wing back and the moment Johnston came on he was on toast the whole game. The biggest failing by the management team was not changing it, although I'm not entirely sure we had the options to. One that struck me was bring Dare on at RWB and shuffle everyone across one. I also would have brought Sprangler on in the midfield yesterday for Max after about an hour. He needs to work on his fitness, as he drops out of games, with Sven coming in we could have let Smith push up a little more and been more stable in the middle, as Sprangler's ability to shuffle side to side would have been effective against the Celtic onslaught. 

A final word on Max, he needs to be more positive. He's got ability and a lovely touch, but a couple of times yesterday he simply turned back into trouble and got crowded out, whereas nobody will fault him if he faces up a single defender in front of him and loses it. He may not have the pace to outrun a player, but he can learn from both Smith and Carey on how to use his body to swerve a man and go round them.

Lastly, we desperately need a new striker based on both May's and Kane's recent performances. I know they've always been streaky and equally I'm not righting them off, but Kane doesn't look interested right now (wonder if he's off?) and May needs a goal to kick start his season. The sooner Nicky Clark is back the better, but we can't rely on him to stay fit and it doesn't seem like Jephcott is fancied at all.

40 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Managing the equivalent of their Colt side though that's in the league system. Fair play 

Hes been promoted to the full side now, i think. But my Finnish isnt great.

What would folk think if Levein lets Kanes contract expire?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

What would folk think if Levein lets Kanes contract expire?

Kane deserves credit for turning his career from 4-5th choice no hoper to an undroppable striker a couple of seasons ago. I for one wanted rid years ago. His performances lately are of a man on the way out and tbh if he keeps playing like he has he can get fucked, along with the other academy graduate striker.

Edited by tree house tam

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Kane deserves credit from turning his career from 4-5th choice no hoper to undroppable a couple of seasons ago. I for one wanted rid years ago. His performances lately are of a man on the way out and tbh if he keeps playing like he has he can get fucked, along with the other academy graduate striker.

Aye, he became better the less he played, a bit, i think.

We still look better with him up front that May but it feels a low bar to cross when its as a lone striker.

Do think there will be a fair meltdown if/when Kane goes but Jephcott remains.

7 minutes ago, Center half said:

Looks like Robson is being recalled to Wigan in January I am hearing. He has come on a lot and is improving every game so will be a miss! Suppose we play Gallacher now to see if he improves as well with game time!  

Glad its Robson, wouldve been gutted if we'd lost Robinson.

I’ve been very critical of him since he joined, but I thought Carey was excellent last night - the most creative player on the park and actually producing something of an end product.

If we can get that more consistently - ideally with Wright back in the team to give it some balance and Clark through the middle - we will be far more dangerous.