Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

30 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is what we’ve regressed to; a philosophy of trying to create chances and score goals needs binned? Really?

It doesn’t have to be silky football to be exciting and entertaining.

I’ll happily watch us shitfest if we’re winning and challenging for trophies again.  But we’re not.

Our negative ‘safe’ football has seen us fight relegation for the third season in a row, and pumped in just about every cup match we’ve played, mostly against lower league teams. Because they’re generally positive and try to score whilst we fanny about waiting to see what’s going to happen.

Nobody’s talking about tiki taka football. But once (if) we’re clear of relegation, I don’t personally want to see us continue with this nothing football where we start trying to score once the opposition goes in front. We’ve had 2.5 years of it.  

Against about 60% of the teams in this league, and every cup match against lower league teams, there’s no reason at all why we shouldn’t be imposing ourselves and trying to take the game to them. 

We barely manage a couple of shots at goal per game, and that’s if we’re lucky. We sit with 5 defenders every match thinking if we don’t concede we won’t lose, instead of if we score we might win.

It started out more positive under Levein but it’s fizzled away since.

Not sure where you’ve taken that from but it’s certainly not my point.

The philosophy needs to be winning matches and picking up points. I couldn’t give a hoot how it’s done.

Motherwell would be an example of a side that create lots of chances and score goals, means nothing if you can’t win games.

If the best way to win a certain game is stick 3 up front and press like f*ck and pass pass pass then go for it, if the best way to win the next game is to stick 7 defenders on the park and a fast striker on to score with our only shot of the game then do it.

Not being funny, but who in their right mind are going to take Jephcott or Brown? They're just nothing footballers. 

If Ballantyne is willing to drop a level or two - he'd be well advised to now I think as that's what awaits in the summer anyway - then he might go. 

The previous two dumpling managers really have built up a massive stack of shite that we're just completely stuck under.

If Twitter is anything to go by, Luke Jephcott will be at the heart of a major bidding war involving every lower-league club in England.

James Brown will make an incomprehensible move to Dundee or Motherwell and become a revelation overnight. 

Guessing they’ve given up trying to shift Crawford.

Going public looks like an attempt to spark interest in the three of them, whilst leaving them out of squads and forcing to train on their own seems an attempt to force them out. Fair play.

No mention of May so guessing he’s possibly one who Levein isn’t too fussed either way.

27 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Not being funny, but who in their right mind are going to take Jephcott or Brown? They're just nothing footballers. 

If Ballantyne is willing to drop a level or two - he'd be well advised to now I think as that's what awaits in the summer anyway - then he might go. 

The previous two dumpling managers really have built up a massive stack of shite that we're just completely stuck under.

Jephcott just hasn't worked. Ballantyne simply isn't good enough for this level, but I could see him.at a league 1 side. Falkirk would be a good home for him. Brown I think gets a bit unfair stick. No, he's not fantastic, but he was/is never going to be a wing back. He's just an out and out right back and probably 15/20 years ago would have been a decent enough one, but he just isn't suited to the formations we play.

By going public, Levein is sending messages all over the place, but unlike MacLean throwing buys under the bus, all 3 would have been expecting it tbf. 

26 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Guessing they’ve given up trying to shift Crawford.

Going public looks like an attempt to spark interest in the three of them, whilst leaving them out of squads and forcing to train on their own seems an attempt to force them out. Fair play.

No mention of May so guessing he’s possibly one who Levein isn’t too fussed either way.

No one is going to take that contract on for Crawford . 

A team has already offered to pay all of May's wages but he's not for going.

A team from down south has enquired about Jephcott.

Turner cooke will be back to Newcastle as soon as Phillips is fit.

Roll on the end of may and most of this squad can be emptied. 

Edited by perthsaint1977

6 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Jephcott just hasn't worked. Ballantyne simply isn't good enough for this level, but I could see him.at a league 1 side. Falkirk would be a good home for him. Brown I think gets a bit unfair stick. No, he's not fantastic, but he was/is never going to be a wing back. He's just an out and out right back and probably 15/20 years ago would have been a decent enough one, but he just isn't suited to the formations we play.

By going public, Levein is sending messages all over the place, but unlike MacLean throwing buys under the bus, all 3 would have been expecting it tbf. 

Browns shit but was made to look even worse than that by being wedged into a system that does nothing for him.

Just like about 90% of our players over the past 3 years.

Even now i dont actually know who the back 5 shape is meant to be getting the best out of. Literally the only reason i can see why its constantly played is because no c**t ever signs wingers.

Not surprised at seeing those 3 asked to leave. Jephcott looked overweight when he joined and clearly wasn’t interested getting into shape. Compare him to Sven who was also out of contract and joined on a free but immediately fitted into the team. 

Ballantyne looked like he’d break into the team but faded away. 

Brown, I’ve never seen a player regress so bad. 

Crawford however is a coward. And I’d say the fanbases reaction at the time we signed him says it all. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Not surprised at seeing those 3 asked to leave. Jephcott looked overweight when he joined and clearly wasn’t interested getting into shape. Compare him to Sven who was also out of contract and joined on a free but immediately fitted into the team. 

Ballantyne looked like he’d break into the team but faded away. 

Brown, I’ve never seen a player regress so bad. 

Crawford however is a coward. And I’d say the fanbases reaction at the time we signed him says it all. 

I don't think Brown has regressed really, he was never good enough in the first place. 

53 minutes ago, The Marly said:

I don't think Brown has regressed really, he was never good enough in the first place. 

He was never good enough, yes,  but the last 5 games he's been involved in he has made many, many mistakes. Mistakes that are so laughably bad that we have resorted in playing a 16 year old attacking midfielder in his position instead. If James Brown doesn't look at that and realise where his career is going then he's as daft as he is shite 

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

He was never good enough, yes,  but the last 5 games he's been involved in he has made many, many mistakes. Mistakes that are so laughably bad that we have resorted in playing a 16 year old attacking midfielder in his position instead. If James Brown doesn't look at that and realise where his career is going then he's as daft as he is shite 

True.  But I member watching him in a friendly v Fleetwood and thinking how do we go from Mackay to Foster to McNamara to Rooney to this? Not his fault, but Jesus....

We probably will never be given the reason why, but I’d really love to know why we supported VAR in the first place. 

Probably find out Wee Broon couldn’t be fucked researching it and asked Guidi & Flax to vote.