Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

About as much effort in that announcement as there was (allegedly) in him trying to get fit.

19 minutes ago, Saint Paddy said:

How many minutes did he play under levein?

Macca signed him and was reluctant to play him, was it fitness/attitude? 

Allegedly both fitness and attitude. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seen a few suggestions Connor Smith will be announced before the weekend.

Don’t know a great deal about him but if he’s a midfielder, albeit a creative one, does this mean we are consigned to watching us playing with one striker for the rest of the season?

1 minute ago, johnoswald2712 said:

Don’t know a great deal about him but if he’s a midfielder, albeit a creative one, does this mean we are consigned to watching us playing with one striker for the rest of the season?

Hes more of an attacking midfielder i think, whos played out wide/up front.

Fairly sure they've decided the 1 up front/2 supporting players is their plan, so he'd be one of the supporting players.

Turner-Cooke back to Newcastle the minute Smith signs i suspect.

don't know much about Smith either but like any other Saints signing I'm open minded and keen to say what he can do. 

I imagine he'd come in and play where our Smith is playing at the moment with a role change for Smith and Phillips with Sprangler dropping out. 

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes more of an attacking midfielder i think, whos played out wide/up front.

Fairly sure they've decided the 1 up front/2 supporting players is their plan, so he'd be one of the supporting players.

That’s fine if the supporting players actually get up the park and support. At least a couple of times last night Kimpioka ran the channel, got beyond the defence in a wide area, looked up and had to play the ball back because nobody was in the box. Hopefully Smith will play further up the park, closer to the striker 

Think even I would take that move if it was offered. Bye bye Dan.

Connor Smith is a very uninspiring signing. Do we even need any more midfielders? 

I would love us to become a team that signs and plays wingers again but I guess that’s too much to ask. Back 4, 2 or 3 in midfield and someone with even half the quality of a Matty Kennedy/Swanson/Wotherspoon/O’Halloran or even Lee fucking Croft on each wing. A selection of hard working haddies up top to tap it in every so often. Full backs who overlap. Centre mids who tackle and get the ball to the wingers. Maybe some of our games and play could actually be exciting? Is that too much to ask?

But nah, 3 immobile centre halves, full backs at wing back and 4 CMs it is. Average half a goal a game and one goal VAR’d out every week. Life is full of joy. 

7 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Any actual update on Clark/Kane? 

Don’t think either have been mentioned anywhere.

Clark rested as a precaution after feeling his groin tighten on Saturday. 

Kane is a mystery. Maybe rolled his ankle playing 5’s?!

1 minute ago, The Marly said:

When does Kane's contract end?

End of the season. Can’t see it getting renewed….in the minority here but I like Kane and Clark and think that partnership looked promising but you can’t rely on either being fit for more than a couple of games at a time. 

Dan Phillips has a lot of good qualities but how many times does he tangibly impact a game? Same applies to Smith, although it's early days for him without the same bed of evidence.

Philips is great at getting out of tight situations and he's as strong as an ox but more often than not (IMO) he then makes a poor decision with the ball. He's maybe not helped by the lack of passing options we usually have in fairness I might accept.

There is (hopefully - although maybe not if he's leaving) improvement in him but I don't think our team will be noticeably weaker with his departure if we recruit well, despite the parameters we operate under.

I’d say we’re still sorely lacking any midfielders who are composed in possession. Therefore it’s difficult for us to implement any style apart from soaking in pressure from the opposition and having a couple of breakaways from time to time (which generally amounts to nothing because we possess little attacking threat). We struggle to dictate games for more than ten minutes. Phillips is good at picking up the ball in deep areas and can be a decent ball carrier up to a certain point, but I wouldn’t be crying about his departure if we could find someone who possesses the strengths we’re currently lacking.

Edited by The Real Saints