Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just seen the penalty back, and unfortunately for me its a pen. Gordon needs to be more aware of Bakayoko there, he's caught ball watching. How many times can one guy get unlucky when he's consistently giving the referees a decision to make?

For the 2nd goal the defence needs to do better to get organised after the first ball. Robinson needs to track McGhee but ideally someone would be putting Pressure on Beck to prevent the cross in the first place. Just poor.

We got a bit unlucky with Carson having a good game, Matt Smith goal aside, he did well to save a shot from Kimpioka and Sidibehs overhead kick.

After having some time to think of it, I'd be happy to see a new defence starting next season, keep McGowan and maybe Considine as experienced backups but not anywhere near starting.

This big love in with Kane all of a sudden he’s linked with a move away is strange.

An injury prone striker who doesn’t score often ain’t gonna help us avoid relegation. He’s currently 5th choice and both new signings up front appear to offer a decent threat.

Stop being overly loyal to club legends and move them on at the right time (ie. Now).

14 minutes ago, mizfit said:

If that’s a stonewaller then say goodbye to any jostling at set pieces. Be as well just standing still and letting the opposing team have a free hit. 

There’s 2 fouls tbf, the initial slap in the face which effectively blinds the player for that phase, then the blatant pushing down on his shoulders .

There’s jostling in the box then there is that. 

I mentioned in another thread about another match that defenders in this day and age need to have their arms removed or jump with them behind their back - as is becoming more and more common at the highest level where VAR has been stinking up the place for years and they’ve had to adapt. 

it’s a shite state of affairs tbh, but the penalty against St Johnstone on Sunday is not a controversial one compared to some we have seen recently. 

17 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

This big love in with Kane all of a sudden he’s linked with a move away is strange.

An injury prone striker who doesn’t score often ain’t gonna help us avoid relegation. He’s currently 5th choice and both new signings up front appear to offer a decent threat.

Stop being overly loyal to club legends and move them on at the right time (ie. Now).

Id rather have Kane than Jaiyesimi, tbh.

With Clarks fitness being sketchy then the 4th choice selection could end up being more vital than it looks just now. May presumably isnt really worth talking abour just now as an option.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id rather have Kane than Jaiyesimi, tbh.

With Clarks fitness being sketchy then the 4th choice selection could end up being more vital than it looks just now. May presumably isnt really worth talking abour just now as an option.

Think DJ and Kane is up for debate. But CL sees Kane as 5th choice behind DJ then we need to look to get rid of him.

Jaiyesimi has looked good in spells but seems clear from everything that Levein rates him higher. 

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

If that’s a stonewaller then say goodbye to any jostling at set pieces. Be as well just standing still and letting the opposing team have a free hit. 

Jostling = using strength of frame to win possesion, not being bullied away from the ball etc.

What Gordon did was wrap a hand around strikers face, then grab his shoulders to prevent him getting off the ground.

Either of these two actions is a penalty, and not jostling.

Players hold on to arms & jersies to keep track of where their opponents are. When it turns into preventing them moving towards the ball or space, it turns into a Foul.  These are the "subjective" ones that seem to favour certain teams.

What happened on Sunday wasn't subjective, it was stupid. 

34 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Think DJ and Kane is up for debate. But CL sees Kane as 5th choice behind DJ then we need to look to get rid of him.

Jaiyesimi has looked good in spells but seems clear from everything that Levein rates him higher. 

Aye i can see why Kanes the one to go, in terms of what Leveins thinking is. Zero arguments about Kimpioka/Sidibeh getting a run to see what they can do ahead of Kane too, hes not contributed goals for years now really.

I just dont agree Jaiyesimi is a better option for us than Kane.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye i can see why Kanes the one to go, in terms of what Leveins thinking is. Zero arguments about Kimpioka/Sidibeh getting a run to see what they can do ahead of Kane too, hes not contributed goals for years now really.

I just dont agree Jaiyesimi is a better option for us than Kane.

Perhaps it’s financially… No idea how much of DJ’s wage we’ll be paying but if we needed to get x amount of wages out to get Sibideh in then it might make sense that it’s Kane that goes.

33 minutes ago, DavidReid01 said:

Perhaps it’s financially… No idea how much of DJ’s wage we’ll be paying but if we needed to get x amount of wages out to get Sibideh in then it might make sense that it’s Kane that goes.

This would make the most sense, as we surely must be over budget by a decent bit again?

Sure they spoke about 24 players being roughly the plan, unsure where we sit now with Brown/Ballantyne/Kane away.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This would make the most sense, as we surely must be over budget by a decent bit again?

Sure they spoke about 24 players being roughly the plan, unsure where we sit now with Brown/Ballantyne/Kane away.

Think so but would suggest Levein has been given a bit of leeway with regards to budget in order to keep us up.

Can’t wait for this summer to never have to read that squad list with quite a few of those names ever again.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently we are expecting to make a £1.5m loss again.

9 hours ago, Muirton Saint said:

Just seen the penalty back, and unfortunately for me its a pen. Gordon needs to be more aware of Bakayoko there, he's caught ball watching. How many times can one guy get unlucky when he's consistently giving the referees a decision to make?

For the 2nd goal the defence needs to do better to get organised after the first ball. Robinson needs to track McGhee but ideally someone would be putting Pressure on Beck to prevent the cross in the first place. Just poor.

We got a bit unlucky with Carson having a good game, Matt Smith goal aside, he did well to save a shot from Kimpioka and Sidibehs overhead kick.

After having some time to think of it, I'd be happy to see a new defence starting next season, keep McGowan and maybe Considine as experienced backups but not anywhere near starting.

I don’t think that’s the point though. If the ref had given it initially then fair enough, but he didn’t so you carry on.

Levein was right when he discussed it; if you sit and analyse every penalty box at a set piece you’ll be able to pick out a foul 90% of the time through a shirt tug or a nudge etc. Gordon was clumsy,  but he’s clearly putting his arm out to go up for the header and caught the lad accidentally. 

That’s not a clear error by the referee. 

Reading the points from earlier about how many goals from crosses we concede, it does make you wonder what the f**k our wing backs are there for?!

If they were marauding forward like Beck and supplying assists, then you could forgive a few defensive lapses.  But not providing anything in attack as well as failing to stop crosses or dispossessing opposition wide players, in a formation where wing backs should be key, is not a great combination. Obviously the centre backs need to defend them better as well.

When you think back to Mackay, Foster, Easton, Rooney etc then you look at the offerings of the wing backs this season, its heartbreaking!

Brilliant away crowd and one of the best atmospheres this season at Dens. Thought first half you marshalled things well. But second half totally capitulated. Your full backs are weak and I thought you lacked physicality in midfield. I’ve no doubt you’ll stay up then thank Levein and go for someone a bit more progressive? He’s never going to change his style of football. Absolutely nothing wrong with going direct and being difficult to beat but there’s no purpose, no real strategy. Same tactics I see on a Sat morning in the amateur league and that sounds OTT but I genuinely believe it. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

6 hours ago, Liam899 said:

I’ve no doubt you’ll stay up then thank Levein and go for someone a bit more progressive? 

If Levein leaves, or likely goes into the background as hes on a 3yr deal, then its most likely we make Andy Kirk manager.

How that goes ive no idea.

Well, we are down to 2 double winners in the squad. Likely 1 or 0 in Summer. 

Time flies when you’re stuck in a seemingly endless purgatory.