Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Reading the points from earlier about how many goals from crosses we concede, it does make you wonder what the f**k our wing backs are there for?!

If they were marauding forward like Beck and supplying assists, then you could forgive a few defensive lapses.  But not providing anything in attack as well as failing to stop crosses or dispossessing opposition wide players, in a formation where wing backs should be key, is not a great combination. Obviously the centre backs need to defend them better as well.

When you think back to Mackay, Foster, Easton, Rooney etc then you look at the offerings of the wing backs this season, its heartbreaking!

For me, it’s most likely we offer up a 2v1 in the wide areas up against opposition winger and full back.

Too often we’re too scared to push our wing back up on to their full back or wing back and they get pinned back by a winger or striker coming wide, then leaves so much space for full backs or wing backs to deliver from deep.

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Well, we are down to 2 double winners in the squad. Likely 1 or 0 in Summer. 

Time flies when you’re stuck in a seemingly endless purgatory. 

Its a shame how its gone. Many were always likely to move on to other things, but feels like the departure of many others has been dreadful and a bit bitter.

Id guess Kane wont be seen again at McDiarmid unless its for an opponent, and feels like theres a chance we've seen Mays last game for us too. So its really just Gordon whos likely to remain.

On Sunday Chris Kane would have been a better replacement for Benji as he would have given us more of a chance to play in their half of the field because he can always be relied upon to win a few free kicks.

Really sorry he is away.

Good luck Chris I hope you do well for the Pars.

Whether it's the right decision or not who knows but it's probably the best thing to do for his career. 

It's clear the kind of centre forward targeted by Levein and co isn't the Kane type. 

Would he have been a better option to keep than May? In my opinion yes but if there's no interest in May or if May has no interest in going anywhere then there may be no alternative but for Kane to move on to reduce the wage bill.

As for the weekend. I still cannot understand why with 5+ mins to go NO striker was brought off the bench. The logic behind with a minute to go bringing on DJ to then launch high balls into the box makes very little sense either. 

13 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

As for the weekend. I still cannot understand why with 5+ mins to go NO striker was brought off the bench. The logic behind with a minute to go bringing on DJ to then launch high balls into the box makes very little sense either. 

They couldnt.

Stoppage 1 on 58 mins - Max/Smith on

Stoppage 2 on 69 mins - Sprangler on

Stoppage 3 on 79 mins - McGowan on

They could only bring Jaiyesimi on after the Mellon head injury (104th min), as both teams get an extra stoppage/sub after any head injury forces a sub.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They couldnt.

Stoppage 1 on 58 mins - Max/Smith on

Stoppage 2 on 69 mins - Sprangler on

Stoppage 3 on 79 mins - McGowan on

They could only bring Jaiyesimi on after the Mellon head injury (104th min), as both teams get an extra stoppage/sub after any head injury forces a sub.

I wasn't really aware both teams got the extra sub. 

Although that does reduce the chance for any dodgy goings on to gain any advantages. 

DJ still seems very much the wrong choice though.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

7 hours ago, DavidReid01 said:

For me, it’s most likely we offer up a 2v1 in the wide areas up against opposition winger and full back.

Too often we’re too scared to push our wing back up on to their full back or wing back and they get pinned back by a winger or striker coming wide, then leaves so much space for full backs or wing backs to deliver from deep.

Agree it is often 2v1, probably because we play with no width in midfield. 

The thing about Sunday that frustrates is all Dundee’s strengths are in attack. They aren’t good defensively so you want to still offer a threat in attack as that’s the best option to get success against them. I think by removing much of our attacking threat we played into their hands by inviting them onto us.

We didn’t deserve much out of the game, but still think we were maybe a bit unlucky at key moments as well; Considine hitting the bar at 1-0, a debatable VAR penalty decision when it felt like we were defending reasonably okay, and then a couple of fingertip saves from Carson.

I'd have punted Jaiysimi at the end of January and kept Kane personally. I find the former an unlikable football player who doesn't add an awful lot, the latter at least offers us a different option even if he isn't the player he was. Disappointing he's away but clear Levein doesn't fancy him. 

1 minute ago, Broughty said:

Brilliant decision to let Theo Bair go, another goal tonight. Now NINE goals. Who needs strikers who score?

He was absolutely shite for us, lets not start rewriting history.

Things would maybe have turned out differently but he'd been playing regularly for Motherwell until Christmas this year and only scored twice.

Fair fucks for the form since, but aye, it  wasnt a bad decision to let him go.

Just now, PSJ.84 said:

Make that two. Decent movement.  

A fantastic example of how much confidence impacts a players performances, maybe?

The moves been great for him. A solid run of games and a manager who supported him even when he struggled. There was too much shite flowing under the bridge for him to get that with us, so he'd never repeat what hes doing with Motherwell if he'd stayed. 

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Things would maybe have turned out differently but he'd been playing regularly for Motherwell until Christmas this year and only scored twice.

It’s not rewriting history when pretty much everyone could see how poorly he was being managed.

Just further evidence to how fucking awful the previous management teams were.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ok but he really never got more than a short sub run and few starts.

Perfect example of what happens when you play to a players strengths. Fact he's tall doesn't mean he's a target man and that's all Davidson saw, someone to launch balls at and hope he could bring others into play. He's clearly a very good runner good at stretching defences and causing a bit of mayhem. 

He still had elements of competition winner a few weeks ago at McDiarmid but his strengths (which we never once even attempted to play to) are there for all to see now. 

I'm delighted for him. Deserves all the credit in the world for keeping on going despite being written off and laughed at in some quarters. f**k the haters. 

Let’s not forget that this works both ways, let’s ask Hibs fans what they think of Liam Craig, or Aston Villa fans about Enkleman. Certain teams suit certain players. Bair played almost 40 games for saints and scored a single goal. Good players find a way to score and influence games irrespective of management. He’s found a manager and club who can make the most of his average ability and I’m thrilled for him. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was absolutely shite for us

Or maybe we were shite for him? 🤔

Fair play to 'Well, how much difference would those goals make or have made for us right now? 

Like you say though. It's done.

@Widge makes a good point. Some players just 'work' don't they.