Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

13 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Also had to pay money for William Sandford from AIK Gothenberg on 1 year contract as he was 20 year old.

Him and Dailly would be the bulk of the money in current accounts hence the comments regarding cross border transfers.

Sandford wasnt signed from AIK, despite the club claiming he was. His previous club was some 5th tier Swedish outfit.

Unsure if compensation was needed.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sandford wasnt signed from AIK, despite the club claiming he was. His previous club was some 5th tier Swedish outfit.

Unsure if compensation was needed.

Sandford and Dailly - development fees were due to clubs but they were signed without due care being taken as to what the fees would be.  Believe it was not cheap  .  Development fees due to any club player was at from 12 to 23 as I am sure you are aware.

21 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Sandford and Dailly - development fees were due to clubs but they were signed without due care being taken as to what the fees would be.  Believe it was not cheap  .  Development fees due to any club player was at from 12 to 23 as I am sure you are aware.

😆😆

12 months down the line and both had left the club.

Almost beyond infuriating and verging on funny. Almost.

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

😆😆

12 months down the line and both had left the club.

Almost beyond infuriating and verging on funny. Almost.

Considering the lad Sandford is now back at club you signed him from and Dailly is at erm...Romford, it's safe to say it's a shocking bit of dealing. Understand that some deals don't work out but it does seem very strange that a lot of money was spent on such unremarkable young players when there would be an understanding that a fee would be due.

We've been there too, Stubbs in his brief time with us spent £75k on an English 5th tier Centre half who played twice (vs East Kilbride and 3rd division Queens Park) and looked so far out of his depth itcwas unreal. He was playing Australian 5th tier football within a year.

Edited by djchapsticks

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Considering the lad Sandford is now back at club you signed him from and Dailly is at erm...Romford, it's safe to say it's a shocking bit of dealing. Understand that some deals don't work out but it does seem very strange that a lot of money was spent on such unremarkable young players when there would be an understanding that a fee would be due.

We've been there too, Stubbs in his brief time with us spent £75k on an English 5th tier Centre half who played twice (vs East Kilbride and 3rd division Queens Park) and looked so far out of his depth itcwas unreal. He was playing Australian 5th tier football within a year.

Aye but Bobby Dailly was Christian Daillys son and he said he was brilliant.

Always thought it strange that we had Dailly on trial for our youth team and passed on him whilst we were in the Championship and then you lads went head first, signed him right up and paid a development fee too.

Nothing that's happened since has changed my mind on that one.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Always thought it strange that we had Dailly on trial for our youth team and passed on him whilst we were in the Championship and then you lads went head first, signed him right up and paid a development fee too.

Nothing that's happened since has changed my mind on that one.

I don't think he played a single minute either 😬🤣

15 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I don't think he played a single minute either 😬🤣

Think he played a handful of games for the youths, maybe a cup game for the "colts", then loaned to Forfar where he got a handful of appearances.

Not bad for (if the £250k rumours are true) someone who'd make our "most expensive" starting 11.

Hopefully the club actually allow them to do what they want to do, rather than hamstring them with a lack of money/help.

See they've already put some interviews up on Saints TV with them behind a subscription wall again. Felt like that ceased a couple of years ago? 

insanely good captures for us on paper. Both big saints fans and very experienced in the media, they'll know the kind of output the supporters want to see and hope they have free reign to go and just do it. I'd guess they were targeted. Great decision by whoever made that call, if indeed that's what happened. 

48 minutes ago, Kyle said:

See they've already put some interviews up on Saints TV with them behind a subscription wall again. Felt like that ceased a couple of years ago? 

Hadn’t noticed that, did notice the YouTube interviews had stopped right enough.

Ambitious appointments. Especially being able to persuade journalists to quit established jobs to take the role. Don't know the guys personally really other than an occasion passing conversation but hope it goes well!

I do like in the past how they've given those cutting their teeth and opportunity to progress their skills (as long as they're paying them!!!) but I can see why they've gone down the experienced route now. 

Key point in the clubs history. Potential new owners and a chance to reinvent itself image wise to a certain extent. 

Going experienced gives them the best chance to get the right message out about the new potential ownership as well as trying to grow the brand marketing wise. 

Of course we know nothing about the future plans of ownership etc but if there is big news to come over the next 2-3 years beyond a new owner taking control it will be an exciting time to work in a role like that at the club. 

As for the pay wall interviews. I don't watch them very often when they're free so I definitely won't when they're paid for. Football player and manager interviews a cliche filled nonsense that means very little. They just say what they think you want to hear. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe