Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

46 minutes ago, Radford said:

What is the aim/hopes for next season?

Obvious answer would be to not be in a relegation battle and to get to decent stages of both cups - after the last three seasons, who wouldn't take that? But being greedy and over-optimistic, what I would really hope to see is some stability at the club and a bit of excitement come game day when the line up is announced, rather than a sense of dread/apathy. A smooth handover to the new owners is key and I hope we get some sense of their vision for the club - at the moment I dont think anyone has a clue what the new ownership might bring.

I'd also like to see some young players coming through, rather than signing journeymen who might be able to do a job but are never going to get you excited.

Another thing to add to what others have said. 

I want to see us going into the league cup looking a bit more like the top flight side. We turned up to the lower league sides like we were also a lower league side. Throwing in young lads because we had about 13 players etc. 

More organised on the pitch and playing with a bit more purpose. It was all so passive.

39 minutes ago, Widge said:

I want to enjoy going to the football on a Saturday, hasn't been the case for a number of seasons. I don't necessarily want free flowing football, but commitment and some fight and a willingness to try and win games of football!   

This is it for me. The football itself wasn’t great on Sunday but the commitment and desire, for the most part, was something you could rally behind. I hope to be going through choice rather than obligation. A few more wins and an stress-free end to the season would be nice too. 

Yeah some identity and something to get behind. There was an obvious “cause” on Sunday but been a long time since felt like that at a game. Some spark and enthusiasm goes a long way. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Competence. 

In all honesty, having looked at our squad as the league kicked off, I'd have bitten your hand off for 10th place.

Moving forward, I'm hoping to see some solid recruitment and to start enjoying going to games again.  I'd settle for another 10th place finish, so long as you felt we were moving in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Transition season for me because there will be a huge turnover of players and definitely a new owner. Encouraging signings to build on and don't flirt with relegation in the same way. I'll take a comfortable 9th with personally, with 8 + more points than this year. We dropped dramatically but feel, if we are to rise again, it'll likely be incremental. 

I just want to see signs of progression, and not just constant regression like we've really seen over the last few years honestly. I'd love to go back to hearing about how shite are, after beating yet another diddy 1-0 in their own back yard and seeing that dig and fight that we became synonymous with in the last 18 years or so. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I just want to see signs of progression, and not just constant regression like we've really seen over the last few years honestly. I'd love to go back to hearing about how shite are, after beating yet another diddy 1-0 in their own back yard and seeing that dig and fight that we became synonymous with in the last 18 years or so. 

This is a good point, if we could have opposition fans piss boiling more often than our own fans it would be progress.

Edited by Steve McQueen

Posted (edited)

I doubt that's what we'll see. 

If the current management team remain then I think it's fairly clear their philosophy is wing backs. If that's the case so be it. 

I'll just take signing then playing players that are comfortable in playing the position and shape etc. 

We do need a good number of signings as well. 

Gordon's interview indicates that we are indeed in a holding pattern waiting on the new owner too. Which is concerning. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

In the seasons where we've been bottom six but comfortable we've had the following points totals at the split: 41, 34, 38 and 44 points.

The lowest of those, in 2010/11, wouldn't have been comfortable if the play-off had been in place so the other three would average out at 41 points. That would seem to be to be a good measurable target post-split.

This season it would actually have had us in the mix for the top six, other seasons it wouldn't.. But if you set the bar much lower then you are talking about totals that likely have you looking over your shoulder.

Then you talk about the other stuff, the things that are more subjective. More passion, more style, better recruitment and, just generally, a better direction.

Hopefully this time next season we are sitting here with a squad signed up and a belief things will be better in 2025/26. But that doesn't happen unless you can do the first part and reach a points target.

38-40pts by the split is what I always think is a first target.

That should either have you virtually safe, or in the top half depending on others.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

38-40pts by the split is what I always think is a first target.

That should either have you virtually safe, or in the top half depending on others.

Call it 13 points per third: 3 wins, 4 draws or 4 wins and 1 draw.

You would hope by end of this week, the squad situation will start to look clearer.

2 hours ago, DavidReid01 said:

A back 4… and wingers

Took the words from my keyboard.

solid-ish CBs who are good in the air and make the odd error. Full backs who overlap. Wingers who try to beat their men and get a cross or shot in. CMs who tackle and get the ball wide. Sidibeh and Kimpioka/Clark up top.

Finish anywhere between 5th-8th and have a proper go at a run in at least one cup.

I gave up my ST at the end of last season because I realised I was actively dreading going to games and reached a point of apathy.

I think for me the reason for that was seeing CD consistently put out a team which had no clear plan to score goals and win games, there were no obvious patterns of play or ideas, it just looked like he put out the best players to fit the formation, and then figured that if we didn't concede then someone at some point would do something to result in a goal.

All I want to see is someone with a plan, I always felt with Tommy Wright he had a plan to win the game. Sometimes it was utterly awful,  the Aberdeen semi final sticks in the mind where we lost 4-0 and also I'm sure we were 5-0 down to Celtic at HT once, but more often than not I could understand what the plan was, I knew the players would give it all to make it happen and it was enjoyable to see that play out. 

Hopefully we can get back towards that kind of format, 7/8 committed players who can be solid and earn us the right to play, and then some game changers that we're excited to go and watch. Realistically this season our best technical player has been Carey... but like what's he going to do well? Put in some good crosses? It's not something to really get that excited about

53 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I gave up my ST at the end of last season because I realised I was actively dreading going to games and reached a point of apathy.

I think for me the reason for that was seeing CD consistently put out a team which had no clear plan to score goals and win games, there were no obvious patterns of play or ideas, it just looked like he put out the best players to fit the formation, and then figured that if we didn't concede then someone at some point would do something to result in a goal.

All I want to see is someone with a plan, I always felt with Tommy Wright he had a plan to win the game. Sometimes it was utterly awful,  the Aberdeen semi final sticks in the mind where we lost 4-0 and also I'm sure we were 5-0 down to Celtic at HT once, but more often than not I could understand what the plan was, I knew the players would give it all to make it happen and it was enjoyable to see that play out. 

Hopefully we can get back towards that kind of format, 7/8 committed players who can be solid and earn us the right to play, and then some game changers that we're excited to go and watch. Realistically this season our best technical player has been Carey... but like what's he going to do well? Put in some good crosses? It's not something to really get that excited about

I agree with nearly all of that. The exception being the 4-0 semi defeat to Aberdeen.  I don't think we were awful that day.  I remember thinking we were really unlucky to be 2 down at half time. It was just one of those days and you knew that with that team we would bounce back. I miss that team.