Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

"Well off you pop then" should be Saints reply.

Exactly.

It's not the same as a "normal" job. More like a contractor. If you'd contracted a consultant for three years, they couldn't work for two of them and were only any use one day in three the year they we're available, you wouldn't be recontracting on the anywhere near the same terms. 

Edited by nelsjfc

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Exactly.

It's not the same as a "normal" job. More like a contractor. If you'd contracted a consultant for three years, they couldn't work for two of them and were only any use one day in three the year they we're available, you wouldn't be recontracting on the anywhere near the same terms. 

Players are no different in terms of mortgage,rent 

Family to look after 

7 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

One thing that baffles me,I see it often

Folk saying things like .Hope he's on reduced terms!

Would you? If your work said "Hey I'm cutting your pay by 10 % or whatever? Would you say aye ?

Don't think any player ,let alone Club Captain,who is one of mentioned players some one suggested he should take a cut 

Nae chance.in my opinion 

What is baffling about it? It’s not a foreign concept for footballers to be offered reduced terms if they haven’t impressed enough to warrant the same terms as before. Some choose to accept, some don’t. Not much of an issue for the club if it’s the latter. The terms have been reduced for a reason.

15 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Would you? If your work said "Hey I'm cutting your pay by 10 % or whatever? Would you say aye ?

Don't think any player ,let alone Club Captain,who is one of mentioned players some one suggested he should take a cut 

Nae chance.in my opinion 

I think it's reasonable it expect some kind of issue if I've been unable for that work for about 80% of the time. 

I certainly wouldn't be expecting any increase in my wages.

And no other team in the top league will be wanting him. It's only us daft enough to persevere.

11 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Family to look after 

Indeed they do, equally Saints are a business and we shouldn't be paying players more than they're worth to that business. If a players role in the squad has reduced or they've had a lot of injuries then I'd hope Saints would adjust their offer as appropriate, just like a young player will get paid more if they become an active part of the first team squad. If said player feels they're worth more and another club is offering to pay it then they're perfectly entitled to take it too. 

29 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Nae chance.in my opinion 

Macpherson has been injured more often than not. No other Premiership club is going to sign him so his choice may well be take a pay cut with Saints or earn even less at a lower level.  I wouldn't have offered him a contract tbh. He's not very good and as I said is injured most of the time. I'm baffled by the amount of Saints fans on Twitter who are painting him as the new Iniesta.

Sports in general is different compared to normal jobs. If a player isn't performing for their team, whether that be due to injury or just playing poorly, of course a player can expect a reduced offer compared to what they previously had. They have to earn the money they make. Saints are a contractor who will offer what they feel is fair value to what the player brings.

40 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

Family to look after 

Saints are a business, a business that's losing over a million per year. They have a duty to halt/decrease that or they simply won't be there in the future.

Cammy McPherson is helping to put Saints out of business* and won't give a single f**k if they actually did go bust. 

*That's maybe a bit dramatic but Random gets away with it so f**k it.

4 hours ago, Widge said:

Adama doesn’t strike me as the type who’d down tools and kick up a fuss. He knows saints have given him a chance from the lower levels in England and he genuinely seems happy to simply be playing football. He probably backs himself to play at a higher level as any player should, but as others have said he hasn’t done anything to warrant it just yet. If these teams were watching him previously then they’d have signed him when he was buttons, for now it’s just agent talk for sure. If we get a bid then it’s a different game, but £250k does us no good, if we can get upwards of £700/800k then you’re in a different ball game as that helps cover losses for the season, etc. Anyway it’s all rumours and heresay right now, he’ll still be a saints player come September I reckon. 

Hope you’re right with the last bit, but never underestimate the sway of an agent.

If club legend Stevie May can shaft Saints when he re-signed from Aberdeen because Rown Vine told him it was the right thing to do, then anything is possible.

I have some doubt MacPherson has signed on reduced terms, if they are reduced it won't be massively reduced. 

I'd be surprised if he accepted a large reduction in terms & a one year deal. 

Often the compromise is if the player is going to accept a reduction in terms they'll get a longer contract. Although it's not like he's in a strong negotiating position. 

I'd quite like Saints to go back to the kind of contracts they offered during the Tommy Wright days. Fairly average basic salary but good bonuses. 

Posted (edited)

From what I know he was no where near the level of wages of most of the squad. 

If he stays fit then a decent back up option but I would be shocked if he is starting the first league game of the season. 

It may also be a good signing if it allows max or Ferguson to go out for 6 months in the championship 

Edited by perthsaint1977

32 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I have some doubt MacPherson has signed on reduced terms, if they are reduced it won't be massively reduced. 

I'd be surprised if he accepted a large reduction in terms & a one year deal. 

Often the compromise is if the player is going to accept a reduction in terms they'll get a longer contract. Although it's not like he's in a strong negotiating position. 

I'd quite like Saints to go back to the kind of contracts they offered during the Tommy Wright days. Fairly average basic salary but good bonuses. 

I think he'll be on a lower basic with a higher appearance fee. 

Another season of over hit long passes/corners and free kicks then blaming everybody else coming up. 

1 year deal is good, means we aren't saddled to him again. Hopefully his wage is a 3 figure sum down from what it was every week unless he plays.

His injuries are a major red flag and it feels daft to think  they'll suddenly vanish considering he's had them for years now.

Fingers crossed upgrades are planned rather than thinking he's a starter.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Eric Nicolson describing his last two performances as ‘superb’ and saying he’ll be a ‘30-plus games man’ next season if he stays fit.

In fairness I thought he was decent for 60 minutes against both Livingston and Motherwell.  Poor v County.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

In fairness I thought he was decent for 60 minutes against both Livingston and Motherwell.  Poor v County.

Just goes to show that fitba’s a game of opinions. I thought he was fine for 30 minutes v Livvy, anonymous v County and ordinary v Motherwell. Saw absolutely nothing in these 3 games that would have persuaded me to give him a new contract