Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Initial observations of Kirk certainly show that he is more a "Levein & Kirk" type than May. 

They signed Sidibeh & Kimpioka who are athletic and look to run in behind.

Kirk is definitely another in that mould compared to the dropping deep played May has become. 

Thought the same as Kyle, if Kirk slotted that chance he probably goes onto score a reasonable number this season. He completely telegraphed what he was going to do though and the keeper read it all the way. 

Was May left out or is it a case of a wee injury and coincidence being left out after Kirk signed?

Obviously I don't want to see his demise as he's largely responsible for probably my favourite ever season as a Saints fan - his ability and confidence to just shoot and score from everywhere made it incredibly exciting. It probably coincided with it  being the first season as an "adult" after getting my first proper full time job to afford going home and away every week as well. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Was May left out or is it a case of a wee injury and coincidence being left out after Kirk signed?

Courier says he was left out, and Levein never mentioned him when talking about all the other injuries.

Kirk was never scoring that chance entirely because of Leveins "the goals are the same size" comment. The Footballing Gods just hate that shit.

Last night my little boy said "I want to watch a football match", so I ventured up to Perth for the first time since LASK with the family, fearing the worst having read the forums for the last year.

Firstly Saints were comfortably levels above Morton. I've read comments that the players signed are Championship or League One level - it did not look that way today.

Essel will not be here in a years time if he plays like that. Actually thought he was better at centre back, but was comfortably the best player on the park.

Thought both Saunders and McClelland looked pretty solid, although both suspect playing passes. Raymond looks good too. Wasn't impressed by Kejtens though.

I now fully understand the posts about McPherson. If that was him playing well I pity the lot of you who've watched his "bad" games. Thought he was woeful - would do something good and then make a stupid pass to undo all the good work... Pass for 2nd goal excepted. Thought the midfield was far better when Conor Smith came on.

Fran was okay but needs a championship level loan, which looks about his current level.

Attack looks really exciting - all 3 had bags of pace. Shame Kirk didn't score with his first touch, but at least hit the target and forced the save. Either of them upfront with a target man is going to be a handful for any defence.

A pacy winger and a creative midfielder and the team suddenly looks pretty good

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

MacPherson the stand-out in midfield

Mental! MacPherson would have easily fitted into that Morton side and not looked out of place.

Essel was the best player on the park, although I'd prefer him in midfield over defence.

Probably all we needed from that game. A victory, a slight improvement on last week and a striker needing goals, getting goals.

Morton were poor and offered little, but good to get another win. Felt the team had a sharpness that wasn't there last season and probably could have gone up a gear or two tbh. 

Keltjens and Essels were impressive today and made a huge difference having Wright pushed further up on the wing.

How McPherson continues to start is beyond me and hope that once Sven gets game time again, hopefully midweek, then Sven takes over going forward.

Cameron's injury ultimately forced Levein into back four, otherwise that turgid back five would have been on show today. Hopefully Levein will be more willing to change formation going forward.

Felt Kirk did well when he came on and certainly puts himself about but should have done better with his chance, but plenty to work with on that front.

Connor Smith getting game time is a worry and just wish Hamilton would make an offer to get him off the books.

Felt sorry for Taylor Steven getting less than 5 minutes given Levein's past comments about giving him and others chance to impress before decisions on loans. 

All in all, job done, clean sheet and move forward positively to midweek.

Levein's comment that he's starting to get what Saints fans are after - effort, work rate and people who care - made my heart sing. Levein might just be the second coming of King Thomas yet. 

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

Levein's comment that he's starting to get what Saints fans are after - effort, work rate and people who care - made my heart sing. Levein might just be the second coming of King Thomas yet. 

Not seen/heard the interview but that does sound like he gets it?We're not expecting miracles!

Commitment and group of players you can feel like you can get behind who are willing to give it everything!

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Levein's comment that he's starting to get what Saints fans are after - effort, work rate and people who care - made my heart sing. 

Liked that as well. 

8 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Levein might just be the second coming of King Thomas yet. 

Very much this though - 

IMG_3263.thumb.jpeg.009597b32de89ed9bc10cc23b3d42814.jpeg

I only saw the last 30-35 minutes.

Thought Raymond looked good, willing to take his man on which is exactly what we need.

Once again I'm impressed by Essel, with a bit more time to adapt he will easily be a star for us. Very happy that he can play well in midfield and at the back.

Although he didn't score, Kirk looked decent and can be an alright squad option.

I hope that Franczak and Steven both start midweek, with Leveins earlier comments about deciding on loans they need actual game time to impress or not.

The team Kyle came up with is what I'd go with, assuming no big signing comes up soon.

20 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Rae 

Keltjens McClelland Cameron Raymond

Wright Sprangler Essel Carey

Sidibeh Kimpioka

4-4-fucking-2 

Plz

Another CB and GK and I reckon that side would stay up.

Edited by tree house tam

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Not seen/heard the interview but that does sound like he gets it?We're not expecting miracles!

Commitment and group of players you can feel like you can get behind who are willing to give it everything!

I liked the interview anyway  - although it seems May is on his way, he was complete omitted when discussion the striking options. 

If Levein is trying to build a team in the same mould as King Thomas, with the same flexibility he's going to get the benefit of any doubt from me. I don't understand some of the signings, but then I didn't understand some of King Thomas' dealing either.

46 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

MacPherson is shite. Unbelievable he's our starter.  A big problem going into the season if he's a nailed on starter

I wish we could give multiple greenies.

45 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Rae 

Keltjens McClelland Cameron Raymond

Wright Sprangler Essel Carey

Sidibeh Kimpioka

4-4-fucking-2 

Plz

Issue is the depth behind it, I think. Any one of those drop out anywhere but up front and you're looking at a sizeable downgrade, and even up front will be a completely different option. I'm not as convinced as some that the 11 there is good enough to do anything but scramble to 11th at best either, but the unknown element of it is exciting tbh.

52 minutes ago, Kyle said:

He was giving Essel some serious grief for being to slack a couple of times but equally other times giving him the thumbs up for his good stuff  

One other thing I found refreshing is hearing the new keeper roaring all day long at his defence. Very vocal. 

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I liked the interview anyway  - although it seems May is on his way, he was complete omitted when discussion the striking options. 

If Levein is trying to build a team in the same mould as King Thomas, with the same flexibility he's going to get the benefit of any doubt from me. I don't understand some of the signings, but then I didn't understand some of King Thomas' dealing either.

They wanted rid of May last year but he turned down 2 moves in January. 1 to Queens Park as he did not want to drive fi Glasgow daily for training !!

44 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

They wanted rid of May last year but he turned down 2 moves in January. 1 to Queens Park as he did not want to drive fi Glasgow daily for training !!

Any idea if Max was injured too?

Probably wrong but, from memory, can't remember him being mentioned as injured either.